Origin of light bulb jokes.

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by gapsych, Sep 9, 2009.

1. gapsych

gapsych New Member

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

A lightbulb joke is a joke that asks how many people of a certain group are needed to change, replace, or screw in a light bulb. Generally, the punch line answer highlights a stereotype of the target group. There are numerous versions of the lightbulb joke satirizing a wide range of cultures, beliefs and occupations.[1][2]

The original formulations of the joke, popular in the late 1960s and the 1970s, were used to insult the intelligence of Poles.[3][4].

Lightbulb jokes applied to subgroups can be used to ease tensions between them.[6]

2. rockgor

rockgor Well-Known Member

How many cops does it take to change a light bulb?

Six. One to do the changing and 5 to beat the stuffing outta the old one.

My brother, who is a deputy sheriff, sent me that one.

I found a site on the net that has over a hundred light bulb jokes. If you
    want to get enlightened, that's the place to go.

I never heard a light bulb joke in the 60s or 70s. For me, they started in
    the 80s. Of course, I don't always travel in the most sophisticated circles.

3. sisland

sisland New Member

When we were kids growing up in northwest Mt. the jokes were always centered around the North Dakotons,,no offense of course!,,,lol

How many N.D.'s does it take to change a lightbulb?,,,,5,,,1 to hold the bulb and 4 to turn the house,,,,,,,sis
  4. JimB51

JimB51 Member

Love that technical def/description of Lightbulb jokes.
    So that's what we've been up to over on that post!

Not being the "brightest" person on the planet, it did shed some "light" on the lightbulbization
    of our unique subculture here.

I can feel the tension easing already. Jim

5. therealmadscientist

therealmadscientist New Member

just had to have created the first light bulb joke. I wonder, was his assistant a Pole or a North Dokotanian? lol

[This Message was Edited on 09/11/2009]