OSTEOARTHRITIS PLEASE HELP?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Fibrolady37, Sep 9, 2006.

1. Fibrolady37

Fibrolady37 New Member

Hi everyone,
    I have ME CFS FMS IBS SYGRENS SYNDROME ASTHMA ALLERGIES & Lots more.
    About 2 months ago i started feeling a different pain than my rheumatic pain.
    It got so bad i had to go to see my gp he sent me for x-rays which revealed i had an illness called Degenerative ?
    ?
    It has 3 words but i dont know the other 2.
    I asked my gp what the illness was & he said wear & tear.
    Im totally frustrated & i wondered if wear & tear is arthritis?
    The reason im asking is because osteoarthritis is in my family they all have it but me.
    If anyone thinks it may be osteoarthritis i would be very happy to hear from you.
    May god bless you & yours
    Fibrolady37.
  2. kirschbaum26

kirschbaum26 New Member

Dear Fibrolady37:

Not sure if you are talking about pain in your spine? This is sometimes called Degenerative Disc Disease. This is when the discs (think of a shock absorber for your bones) are compressed, or bulging, or herniated. The bones in your spine are then more likely to rub against each other. This can cause pain, inflammation, bone spurs, etc.

Osteoarthritis is actually a wear and tear form of arthritis. The cartlige is actually worn away from the bone so that the joint eventually is bone on bone. Not only is that very painful, but also very distructive to the bones. This type of destruction normally happens in the joints, and usually the weight bearing joints of your knees, hips, etc. Shoulders can also have problems.

Sorry if that does not answer your question, but I thought I would give it a try.

Not sure, but you should probably see an orthopedic doctor to rule out any other issues.

Ingrid

[This Message was Edited on 09/09/2006]
  3. JLH

JLH New Member

Like the others said--it's degenerative disk disease. That is the same as osteoarthritis in your spine.

I have it in my spine, as well as my hands, hips, knees, ankles, feet, and really--all over my body!! Yuck!!

It sounds as if you have it, too.

Did your doc start you on any anti-inflammatory meds?

Janet
  4. Fibrolady37

Fibrolady37 New Member

ingrid how are you?
    Im so frustrated because i dont know the name of my most recent diagnosis.
    Im going to my docs in morning to find out what its called.
    I will let you know how i get on.
    Thanks for your reply.
    May gfod bless you & yours.
    Fibrolady37.
  5. Fibrolady37

Fibrolady37 New Member

sassy how are you?
    Im so frustrated becaus ei dont know the name of my most recent dx.
    I went to see my doctor this morning but fibrofog struck so i forgot to ask him.
    I will go tomorrow & ask for a copy of the results then i can tell you what this illness is called.
    Fibrolady37.
  6. Fibrolady37

Fibrolady37 New Member

jlh how are you?
    I am so frustrated because i dont know the name of my most recent dx.
    I will go tomorrow to get a copy of my results then hopefully i will be able to tell you what its called.
    I will let you know when i find out.
    May god bless you & yours
    Fibrolady37.
  7. lilaclover30

lilaclover30 New Member

I have it and nothing can be done - just pain RX. i also have OA in my hands and wrists and feet and ankles. They alll hurt!

I always say, If it's not one thing, it's 2" They alll hurt and I can't encourage you at all!!

So sorry.

Hang in there and we luv u.

Joan
  8. JLH

JLH New Member

I hope your doctor's appointment goes well.

I have also been having a really bad time with my back. My pinched nerve is giving me fits and causes my low back, hips, and leg to be in killer pain.

I know my weight is just causing myself more pain with all my back problems and with my knees, after having both knees just operated on.... and, I won't ever be able to have total knee replacements in both knees until I lose some weight.

Therefore, I have seen a surgeon last week about getting a gastric bypass. I have a few appointments set up to get the preliminary testing done. If everything goes OK, I might be able to have the surgery by the end of October.

Hope you get to feeling better.

Hugs,
    Janet
  9. Fibrolady37

Fibrolady37 New Member

Joan how are you?
    Thanks for your reply its good to hear from you.
    I cant believe that i have yet another illness aswell as the other 39 i have!
    Im going to do some research so i know whats what.
    Every day its pain pain more pain & even more pain again its no wonder im depressed.
    I love you all too thank you for replying.
    May god bless you & yours.
    Fibrolady37.
  10. ANNXYZ

ANNXYZ New Member

mangosteen juice ( not cheap) has yielded good results
    for arthritis . I heard this from my doc . I know there
    is a brand called xango that has a high level of anti inflammatory chemicals .
    you can search xango . It is not an instant fix, but if I had arthritis I would definitely try it a few months .

I read posts at lymenet also about people with arthritis who felt it made a big difference . It is also loaded with anti oxidants . I think you can buy a different brand at Sam's .
    just a thought .
  11. knickelson23

knickelson23 New Member

It COULD also be degenerative JOINT disease. I was told that I had that also and that it was another name for "osteoarthritis". However it is not the same as degenerative DISK disease. Maybe I'm wrong or should I say maybe I was informed of the wrong info??!!! So anyone who knows more than I do about this could you let me know? I too would like to know for sure if the two are different from one another!!! Thank you!!! Hugs to all...knickelson23
  12. Fibrolady37

Fibrolady37 New Member

nickelson23 thanks for your reply.
    Ive had a lot of replies saying that i have degenerative disk disease im sure i dont have that.
    Degenerative joint disease sounds more like it.
    So i was right when i said it could be osteoarthritis.
    Im going to my doctors on monday to get a copy of the x-ray results then i know what im dealing with.
    Take care & may god bless you & yours.
    Fibrolady37.
  13. Fibrolady37

Fibrolady37 New Member

nickelson23 thanks for your reply.
    Ive had a lot of replies saying that i have degenerative disk disease im sure i dont have that.
    Degenerative joint disease sounds more like it.
    So i was right when i said it could be osteoarthritis.
    Im going to my doctors on monday to get a copy of the x-ray results then i know what im dealing with.
    Take care & may god bless you & yours.
    Fibrolady37.
  14. Fibrolady37

Fibrolady37 New Member

ouch thanks for your reply im going to read your reply & take it from there.
    Fibrolady37.
  15. Fibrolady37

Fibrolady37 New Member

annexyz thanks for your reply.
    Im going to my doctors on monday morning to get a copy of the x-ray results then i can see for myself what this illness is called.
    Fibrolady37.