OSTEOARTHRITIS

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Fibrolady37, Aug 1, 2006.

1. Fibrolady37

Fibrolady37 New Member

Hi all
    I have CFS,FMS,IBS,SYGRENS SYNDROME & lots of other illnesses & i mean lots.
    8 weeks ago i was dx with osteoarthritis & im devastated i have enough tiredness & crippling pain to last me a lifetime.
    If you have osteoarthritis please send me a message as i need as much help & advice as i can get.
    Life is so hard isnt it well i will pray & ask god to help me.
    May god bless you & yours.
    Fibrolady37.
  2. bre_ann

bre_ann New Member

I was having some severe hand pain (mostly at night) and back pain so saw my rhuemy and he took x-rays and said I had osteoarthritis in hands and degenerative disc disease in the back (which, to me, is a fancy and scary name for osteo-arthritis in the back!).

He gave me Celebrex, Nuerontin (for back pain) and told me to take Tylenol-Arthritis in the a.m. So, that's what I'm doing. I've seen some improvement but not a whole lot yet. I go back in 2 months.

Anyway, I don't know if I've got it anywhere else as he just took x-rays of my hands and back but I have neck, feet problems as well.

Do you have it all over? How old are you? I am 41, almost 42.
  3. ImportantCargo

ImportantCargo New Member

Hi
    I have fibromyalgia, am 54 female and just saw my rheumy yesterday. I told him of my advancing pain in my hands, feet and upper back. I can see the arthritis distorting my fingers but nothing in my feet. I knew my upper back has ost. arthritis and history in my family of moderate arthritis.

He had me take various blood tests to testthe inflamation levels. That's all I know. I am overwhelmed by the widespread symptoms of FM and now a new factor of arthritis that is more painful than FM. I too wike up in the middle of the nite with massive knuckle pain. Rheumy said to move fingers as much as posssible and use heat, also 1/2 Aleve. (med subject too long a story to get into)

Looks like once again I need to do more research. I will wait a few days til I feel not so overwhelmed. Looks like we can only "deal" with one problem at a time. I associate it to going into a art gallery and looking at only one painting at a time - not all of them at once - taking them down and getting totally overwhemed. Maybe that helps? Sorry you are going thru som many different thing all at once. Sometimes I have to just be thankful of the support my bed gives me and try to focus on that. Ugh

important cargo
  4. gnanny

gnanny New Member

In fact when my fibro symptoms first began (in hind sight) I was going to the doctors looking for answers...they would xray and then say O my, no wonder...look at all that arthritis. I had doubts. Now many years later I know what they are talking about. NOW I know the difference between fibro pain and arthritis pain.

I had this misconception of arthritis...all those Bayer aspirin commercials I guess. JUST take 2 bayer and the pain is gone. WRONG ! It seems so unfair for the pain to rear its ugly head just when you are asleep. That took me by surprise too. I was used to fibro stiffness but arthritis stiffness is serious sharp pain. The kind that makes you afraid to move.

I had good luck with celebrex but it is not covered on my insurance and is too expensive. I now have a prescription for Feldene(the generic anyway) It does seem to help.

I have several things that seem to help in small amounts.
    I have a magnetic bracelet. The improvement is subtle but it is very noticeable when I dont wear it...ouch.

I take colloidal silver daily (you can google it easy)
    again its very noticeable when I forget it a few days.

I have a cane on hand for bad days.

My hands and feet have been warped.Making balance tough at times. Its hard to pick up coins and thin things. My ankles and knees ache. Knee cartilage is gone and I have been told I can have knee replacement when I am ready. I have been putting it off becuase I dont have 'time'....but again in hindsight I see this is a mistake. Life has been passing me by because I cant walk or stand for family activities. Already my grandkids cannot remember that I wasnt always so immobile.

Sadly there is no silver bullet or magic one size fits all pill for arthritis. I truly hope you find some releif so that it will not rule your life.

Take care, stephanie
  5. GLASTETTER

GLASTETTER New Member

I WAS DX FIVE YEARS AGO WITH IT IN MY SPINE NOW IT IS IN MY HIPS AND I TAKE LYRICA AND VICOTIN ADN GET SHOTS EVERYTIME I SEE MY RHEMY

BARB
  6. Cromwell

Cromwell New Member

I have some arthritis but I also suspect my new hand pain across the knuckles is arthritis. I am sorry you have this now, but in some ways it can be easier to treat than FM.

My new doctor thinks it is infection with us, and feels doxy or simialr antibiotic is worth a try for three weeks as he has seen 25% of people be rid of their symptoms and strangely FM too.

I may try it in September when this 100 degree heat goes away. Heta index here is 105 right now.

Love Anne Cromwell
    [This Message was Edited on 08/01/2006]
  7. JLH

JLH New Member

I also have osteoarthritis in my hands, wrists, shoulders, neck, back, hips, knees, and feet. Well ... all over my body!!

It's really rough. I can't peel potatoes, for example, for the stiffness and pain in my fingers and hands.

I agree with you ... I have so many health problems .. and enough fatigue and crippling pain to last me for a lifetime!

Hugs,
    Janet
  8. petsrme

petsrme Member

I have it too. I am 39. I will be praying for you. I wish I could give you advice. I am at my wits end too. Just try to get plenty of calcium. They say to exercise, but who feels like it? I try to do leg lifts and stuff in bed and on the couch, but not much else. Take care.
  9. petsrme

petsrme Member

PS I wanted to say you are absolutely lovely in your picture. You are like me; I love to wear shirts that show my cleavage. I get fussed at sometimes by my hubby, but who cares. I love to watch that show on BBC What Not To Wear. They always tell women to show their assets. You go girl. I hope I don't offend you with this. I just thought you looked so vibrant and pretty. I also love your haircut. Hope I made you laugh and feel good.
  10. Marta608

Marta608 Member

I think it's important to remember that it's difficult to get beyond or around age 40 and not have some osteoarthritis. It's not RA.

Marta
  11. Fibrolady37

Fibrolady37 New Member

bre-anne im sorry to hear that you have osteoarthritis its bad enough havin CFS & FMS & all the other illnesses i have.
    I have never known pain like my rheumatic pain last winter i was crippled quite literally.
    I had to go & see my doctor becaus ei couldnt cope with the crippling pain.
    When he said my x-rays showed i have osteoarthritis i was devastated still am.
    Thanks for your reply i hope i can keep in touch with you.
    Fibrolady37.
  12. Fibrolady37

Fibrolady37 New Member

important cargo thanks for your reply.
    Its a hard life isnt it life can be so cruel.
    I keep asking myself & god why me & why did everyone on here have to have these dds?
    Im so glad you replied thank you.
    Would it be ok for me to keep in touch with you i need all the friends i can get.
    Fibrolady37.
  13. Fibrolady37

Fibrolady37 New Member

wakemeup,
    Thanks for your reply.
    Im sorry you have so much pain its not much fun but we have to keep going dont we?
    Im grateful for your reply i really am.
    You take care.
    Fibrolady37.
  14. Fibrolady37

Fibrolady37 New Member

stephanie i am glad you replied.
    I like you know the difference between my FMS pain & my Osteoarthritis.
    I went for x-rays & they showed i have it in my right arm & right hand.
    Its a living hell because i have a lot of fms pain whichb is hard to live with especially since last winter when it was at its wirst ever.
    Athritis runs in my family & i was sure that was what i have & i was right.
    I told my doctor it isnt just in my right hand & arm its in my whole body.
    He said its not possible to x-ray your whole body i was not amused.
    Fibrolady37.
  15. Fibrolady37

Fibrolady37 New Member

Thank you for your reply its good to hera from you.
    Its no fun at all is it i have 41 illnesses altogether im so depressed right now.
    All i know is serious tiredness & crippling pain.
    I have 2 elbow crutches but my right side has osteo in it as does my whole body.
    I cant stand the pain i feel i dread it coming thers nothing i can do.
    Im sorry you have it to.
    Id like to keep in touch if thats ok?
    Fibrolady37.
  16. Fibrolady37

Fibrolady37 New Member

sorry are you replying to someone else because i dont understand why youre mentioning neuro whatever its called?
    Fibrolady37.
  17. Fibrolady37

Fibrolady37 New Member

barb,
    Im so sorry you have osteo aswell its bad enough having 1 illness never mind more than 1.
    Im so sorry for your suffering i pray for us all on here every day i dream of one day having relief for us all.
    Fibrolady37.
  18. Fibrolady37

Fibrolady37 New Member

mable im sorry you are suffering its hard work trying to cope isnt it?
    It is bad enough having CFS & FMS & all my other illneses but now im even more restricted & in even more crippling pain.
    My right arm has no movement neither does my right hand.
    I have osteo all over my body im so sorry for sufferers everywhere.
    Fibrolady37.
  19. Fibrolady37

Fibrolady37 New Member

Anne its good to hear from you.
    Im sorry youre suffering to.
    When i went for my results my doctor said the x-rays show severe wear & tear in your whole body.
    I was numb when he told me i knew i had it before i had the x-rays.
    It runs in my family we all have it.
    Ive never prayed as much as ive done since i was dx i pray for us all the power of prayer is a wonderful tool/
    Fibrolady37.
  20. Fibrolady37

Fibrolady37 New Member

Janet thanks so much for your reply.
    Im so sorry you are also suffering its a living hell isnt it?
    I have it in my whole body oh well.
    Fibrolady37.