Osteoarthritis

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by deepak, Feb 13, 2012.

1. deepak

deepak Member

I know this is off topic for this board ! :) But since people here are so knowledgeable I thought i will ask

My mom has severe osteoarthritis in her knee and has been advised knee replacement which she does not want to do just yet.

Does anyone have any alternate remedies or supplements etc which has helped them with osteoarthritis ??

Love,
    Deepak
  2. spongebobmama

spongebobmama New Member

I wish your mom would think twice about getting her knee replaced My mom has severe osteo, and has had both kneesdone and she is so glad she had it done. I have only heard greart reports of the surgery. Your mom won't regret it. She will only say why did she wait so long. My sisters mother-in-law had horrible knees and limped around and her knees were so deformed. She is from Iran, and can't speak English well. But she trusted the Dr's to do it. I am an RN and haven't heard of any horror stories.Why doesn't she want the surgery? No I haven't heard of any supplements to take away the damage done already. Bone on bone pain is awful. I wish I could get a lower spine replacement. Love Spongebobmama.
  3. deepak

deepak Member

Love your nickname :) Where did it come from !

Mom wants to wait a while till customised knee replacements are available in India. Trying to find something else till then.

Love,
    Deepak
  4. deepak

deepak Member

Thanks for the info :)

Here in India, knee replacements are becoming very common ! Most people seem to say they did better after getting them but a small minority say it became worse.

Mom does walk but with lots of discomfort and gets tired soon from all the pain.

Her doctor did give her 1000 mg calcium to take daily but such conflicting reports on calcium so I have told her to not take more than 500 and get the rest from food. My grandmom who lived to 90 did not take any calcium ever and was healthy - but she did have a very good traditional indian diet everyday which included milk and curd and green vegetables so I guess that is what is more important.

She also tried the glucosamine but that did not help.

Currently she is taking some homeopathy medicines and says that gives her some relief. And wears knee support when going out of the house.

I hear there are some injections one can take in the knee which provide relief for a few months. Anyone know about those ?

Love,
    Deepak

5. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

On how bad the OA damage is. Bone on bone usually requires replacement and injections and supplements don't help. It's too late. At that point, it's really time for surgery. A person favoring the knees will cause damage to the hips and spine, and possibly, the feet. The sooner one has surgery and the sooner one is up and walking normally, the better.

For mild and moderate OA in the knees, the supplements and injections may work well. Arthroscopic surgery can be a great help too. I've had both knees scoped, the joints cleaned up, and Synvisc injections to help cushion the joints. I am hoping to avoid replacement but I have to be careful. I still can twist a knee and it will be sore for a while. I have to ice it and stay off it til it feels better. My doc tells me I can ski if I wear my knee braces and stay to the intermediate slopes. Every year, I think I'll do it but it's never worked out to take the trip to CO. I skied all my life so am not worried about my ability. I'm just not wanting to twist my knee or have a newbie ski into me.

Good luck to your Mom.

Love, Mikie
  6. deepak

deepak Member

Dear Mikie,

:)

Does synvisc work only for moderate cases and not when its real bad ?

Love,
    Deepak
    [This Message was Edited on 02/15/2012]
  7. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

A doc may try it on more severe cases but I doubt it. Synvisc is a thick gel which helps cushion the joint but when it's bone on bone, the Synvisc just doesn't provide enough. My results were excellent but one knee was mild and the other moderate. I think the arthroscopic surgery to smooth the joints and repair torn menisci were what really helped. I opted to do everything in the doc's bag of tricks to try to avoid replacement.

BTW, FMS affects soft tissue and we can have problem tendons, menisci, cartlige, and faschia. We can be prone to injury due to this. So, even when we are able to exercise, we have to be careful. It just ain't fair.

Love, Mikie
  8. gb66

gb66 Well-Known Member

I have OA in both knees. It was very bad a few years ago and I had trouble walking. I went to a therapist that gave me exercises in a heated pool.

I went for several sessions and really didn't think it would help, but to my surprise, it did. The exercises were very gentle and didn't hurt at all. I also had a bone spur on one knee that was very painful. After the pool sessions it stopped hurting too.

I don't know if you have any water therapy available where you live but if you do, this may help a lot until a decision is made about surgery. It might even stop the pain entirely like it did for me.
  9. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Some Senior Centers have heated pools for exercise therapy for people with arthritis. We once had a member say how helpful it was for her.

Love, Mikie
  10. deepak

deepak Member

Thanks GB. Unfortunately we do not have heated pools in Mumbai yet.

Love,
    Deepak
  11. gb66

gb66 Well-Known Member

I think the exercises could be done in a regular pool as well, it's just more comfortable in a heated pool if you have access to one. It could be done in small spa pool also.