Osteopath -- Benefits from? How to find? I live in Toronto

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Jen F, Jun 19, 2003.

1. Jen F

Jen F New Member

I asked my GP for a referral to an osteopath. He looked at me surprised and said he didn't know if there were any in Canada. If I could find one, then sure...

I've never been to one.

I don't fully understand what they do, but it has been suggested to me by people who would know that I see one.

Anyone get great benefits from their osteopath and if so, what?
  2. Jen F

Jen F New Member

anyone else?
  3. JLH

JLH New Member

D.O.'s have the exact same medical training as an M.D.
    However, their philosophy is to treat the whole person rather than just the ailment. They look at what could be causing the problem as well as just fixing it vs. just fix what's wrong now.

They are also trained in manupliations. However, a lot of practicing D.O.'s do not use them in their practices. I go to an Internal Medicine doc who is a D.O. He doe not use manipulations in his office and you would not know any difference in whether he was a D.O. or M.D. (He is a great doc and knows a lot about fibro!)

My daughter just graduated from a D.O. medical school and now is a doctor. She is now doing her internship and will go on to her residency just as any M.D. would.

As far as how to find one, in the U.S. you can just look in the yellow pages of your local phone book under Physicians and they have a section on DO's and MD's in various specialities. You might be able to contact your closest hospital and ask them to give you the names of D.O.'s in the speciality that you want who are close to where you live.
    [This Message was Edited on 06/20/2003]
  4. Jen F

Jen F New Member

So, I shall ask my GP to refer me, but the D.O. has no appointments avail til mid July.

1ST Appointment covered by OHIP, but subsequent are $35. I hope it's worth it and I don't go broke soon froma ll my appointments and treatments!
  5. Jen F

Jen F New Member

Wish I could see your doctor!

That decides it then.

I shall endeavor to seek ongoing treatment from an osteopath.

Thanks very much!

Jen