Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Cattttttt, Mar 2, 2011.

1. Cattttttt

Cattttttt Member

Does anyone have osteoporosis? what are you doing for it?
  2. IanH

IanH Active Member

Alendronate and Vitamin D supplementation. No calcium
  3. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

It's the precursor to osteoporosis. It runs in our family; we are small boned, of fair coloring, and of Western European descent. We are like the perfect storm for this.

I just had my second Dexascan and there has been minimal loss of bone. I take 400 mgs. of Citrical three times a day. It contains vitamin D but I also supplement with vitamin D supplements.

Weight-bearing exercise, like walking, is good for the bones.

It's better to try to stop it before there is too much bone loss because the Rx meds for it can cause some very nasty side effects. One has been shown to cause fractures of the femur bones. Good grief! That's why one would take the meds--to prevent fractures.

If you like dairy, you can drink fat free-milk or eat fat-free yogurt. With the yogurt, you get probiotics (I also supplement with them because we need more than we ever realize).

Love, Mikie
  4. TaniaF

TaniaF Member

I have a pretty bad case of it. I used to take Actonel, but after all the fuss about these drugs, three of my doctors (internist, cardiologist, and a family doctor) said to not take them anymore. So, just on calcium, mag, and vitamin D. Wish I could exercise more, but my muscles hurt.
  5. tansy

tansy New Member

Vit D, calcium, magnesium, boron, vit K2, and hydrolised collagen. No longer have the bone pain I'd suffered from for many years. Due to past medical history my Gyn would not prescribe the usual medication so I went DIY.

Adding porcine (closest to human collagen) hydrolised collagen made a noticeable difference. From the Wikipedia page on collagen -

"On bone health, several studies have shown that a daily intake of 10g per day of hydrolyzed collagen for 4 to 24 weeks increases bone mass density.[19][20] It seems that hydrolyzed collagen peptides stimulated the differentiation and the activity of osteoblasts, the cells that build the bone, instead of osteoclasts, those that destroy it."

[19] Nomura, Y.; Oohashi, K., Watanabe, M. and Kasugai (2005). "Increase in bone mineral density through oral administration of shark gelatine to ovariectomized rats". S Nutrition 21 (11-12): 1120–1126. doi:10.1016/j.nut.2005.03.007. PMID 16308135.
    [20] a b Wu, J.; Fujioka, M., Sugimoto, K., Mu, G. and Ishimi, Y (2004). "Increase of effectiveness of oral administration of collagen peptide on bone metabolism in growing and mature rats". Bone and mineral metabolism 22 (6): 547–553. doi:10.1007/s00774-004-0522-2. PMID 15490264

Vit K2 better than vit K1.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/15771560[This Message was Edited on 03/05/2011]
  6. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

I almost forgot about boron. It's in my multi. I've finally given in and am using the Centrum Silver. I take 3000 IU's of vitamin D. A friend told me that it takes a lot more than we have been led to believe to feel better. She takes 5000. If I take more than 3000, I can't sleep. It does help with energy a bit.

Love, Mikie