OT – MIL driving me insane

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Bailey-smom, Sep 27, 2005.

1. Bailey-smom

Bailey-smom New Member

First of all . . . some of you are going to think I’ve fallen off my rocker. You won’t be able to believe that I am living in the 21st century but let me reassure you that indeed we are.

For the past 10 years my hubby & I have had to haul our water & put it in a cistern which is just a holding tank underground. We have been waiting for rural water for the past 7 years and they are FINALLY hooking it up this week. It just so happened that the guy in charge of the project knows my husband & was a friend of mine from way back when. When he figured out where we were & they were working @ our place (I made them lunch to get on their good side) they put us on the fast track and have been back 2 times already.

Well. . . my MIL keeps calling me because my FIL keeps stopping to talk to them and she thinks they are getting the guys to speed up our project. It is not a big deal but you have just got to know the woman. She is really nosey and has to know every little detail & she keeps bugging me to get the plumber out – she will not leave me alone!!!!! Augh

Thanks for letting me vent about this off the wall subject.

Kelly
  2. rileyearl

rileyearl New Member

to drive you crazy!

My MIL told my 4 yo son that I would be ok once I lost weight. He came home and told me. Grrr!

Hang in there!

Francie
    [This Message was Edited on 09/27/2005]
  3. Alyndra

Alyndra New Member

My soon to be MIL has become COMPLETELY unbolted in her head. Since she's been getting more unreasonable, and I have gotten sick - my boyfriend and I have halted all wedding plans. I literally feel sick just to hear the womans voice. I don't think I could have 'the happiest day of my life' if she were there.

She constantly complains that I never go to their house anymore - but NEVER listens when she's told over and over again that I have chronic asthma, and she has a dog. She completely ignores reasoning and tells her friends and neighbors that I think I'm 'above everyone else' and that I'm just always being inconsiderate, and only thinking of myself.

She calls all times of the day and night for no reason, she shows up at my parents house uninvited to 'visit'; and my parents dislike her more then I do!! She's even aware of all my food allergies - and last Thanksgiving she convinced me to come for family dinner. She ASSURED me it was all safe to eat. To make a long story short NOTHING she made was safe for me to eat and I ended up in the hospital for a couple days. Her after thought? "I just thought you were lying about your allergies so you didn't have to come" GRR!

To top it all off, she's a super health freak - and tells me that everything that is wrong with me is all in my head. She very strongly believes and expresses that she feels Fibromyalgia is just an excuse for people to be lazy!!

If I had to decide on one thing in general that made my life worse; it'd be her. No doubt about it.
  4. rileyearl

rileyearl New Member

and I don't even have allergies. Your boyfriend is darling and sounds like a really nice guy, but you just stick to your guns about marrying him until he either starts telling his mom to cool it or agrees to move to somewhere far away from her.

I'm curious, is his dad still around?

Talk about your toxic people. Ick!!! Good luck!

Francie
  5. Bailey-smom

Bailey-smom New Member

Didn't get along at first & you do not want to start a marriage like that!!!

She finally got the point & started on an antidepressant and I think she was working on it because it has been better for a few months & now she is starting again.

I hope my kids have enough nerve or shitzpa to tell me when enough is enough when they are older and get married! I know I am honest w/my mother.

I knew it was going too well to last!

Kelly
  6. Alyndra

Alyndra New Member

The evil MIL is from England, and yes; my bf's father is completely in the picture. He's just as bad with his "yes ma'am" attitude he has towards whatever the evil woman says. He's like her servant. They often go to England to visit her family, and seeing as he doesn't have any other family here - me and my bf keep pushing for them to MOVE to England. Everytime they go away they always give the "don't think we'll bring anything back for you. if you want anything you need to get back to work" speech. Now we just tell them not to worry about coming back.

The day my boyfriend put a ring on my finger his parents BOTH started assuming they had full rights in running our life! Unless they're on vacation, I can never fully relax - they live within walking distance!!!!!!

I'm at the point where I think all MIL's should come with restraining orders!!!
  7. Alyndra

Alyndra New Member

Maybe if the antidepressants aren't working you might suggest antipsychotics to her doctor!

For awhile I had fun with my MIL being super nosey. She was always conviently going by my house when she was out for her walks - and she went by the one day with my windows open but curtains closed and heard "Taijo, come here. Oh your so good, I love you!" etc etc and she LOST IT.

She called my boyfriend at work and elaborated a huge story about how I was cheating on him and she had proof. Meanwhile she's telling him what she heard me saying, and I can just imagine how much he must have been laughing.

Taijo is my baby Parrotlet who was just learning to fly on command!

Sometimes trying to find the humor in these types of situations is the ONLY way to stay sane!!
  8. JLH

JLH New Member

Kelly,

I KNOW where you are coming from on the hauling water, etc. We, too, live out in the rural area and have only had county water for the last 10 years.

For the first 25 years of my marriage, we had only a well and it was always running dry. Our summers would be horrible because they would always be so hot and the ground was drier than normal!

I had a washer and dryer but couldn't use them. I worked 60 hr weeks and had to carry my wash out to do it. When the kids were growing up, they had to take baths in only 1" of water. The stories could go on. So .... I guess I could say the famous "been there, done that"!!!

Why is the woman bugging YOU to get the plumber out? The next time she tells you to get him out, tell HER TO CALL THE PLUMBER!! Just tell her you're not ready for the plumber yet, but if she is, for her to go ahead and call!!

She sounds just like my nosey MIL, when an ambulance goes up the road, she calls me and asks me WHERE were they going!!! Duh, like I have ESP or something!! She just lives down the road from me and I am so glad that she is 85 and too feeble to drive now!!!! But, she still has a mean, evil mouth!! Ugh!
  9. suzetal

suzetal New Member

My son in law has called me Mama from the get go.

I'm a great MIL.They call we talk.I never medal.

Sue
  10. Bailey-smom

Bailey-smom New Member

jlh - my MIL will call to ask who just drove by!!!!! I was almost in tears laughing @ your post!!!

To all the MIL - you are not all alike, there are a few that just tend to grate on a person:) Like I said before, I thought it had gotten better now she is slowly slipping back. The water thing is really a miner irritation - she once told me that she was surprised that pastor was going to baptize my child because I do not go to church every Sunday. Stupid stuff like that.

The stories are a riot - keep 'em comin'!

Kelly
  11. Alyndra

Alyndra New Member

The restraining orders only apply to the evil crazy ones.

See, just like there's sub species of animals - these evil MILs are just a subspecies of the MIL population!

My 'inlaws' today were the worst kind of entertainment there is!! Just after dinner they showed up at the house to talk to my bf - and they were sporting their nice new MATCHING SPANDEX BODY SUITS. Now they're all giddy that they look like Lance Armstrong when they ride their bikes. The last thing I needed ontop of all this medical stuff - was to see 2 late fifties & not so in shape people wearing spandex - on a bike.

I'm not quite sure I'll ever be able to look at them again without hysterically laughing!
  12. sheried

sheried New Member

She's a coniving, buttinsky, pain pill popin nut.

Fortunately, she will soon be my EX-MIL. Her son moved in with her and he is just as bad as she is. (read--my soon to be ex.) They are two peas in a pod.

But, I know not all MILs are like that. I adore the ones that raised their kids to succeed and have a life of their own.

Sorry your having to deal with this situation.

Hugs,
    Sherie