OT _ My puppy getting spayed!!! Any tips

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by darude, Jan 7, 2006.

1. darude

darude New Member

Yup on Monday, Has had her first cycle already. Gee that was three weeks of fun!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  2. darude

darude New Member

Thats awful and she is so tiny 7lbs!!!!!!!! I will be asking questions alright. thanks for info.
  3. darude

darude New Member

I lost a dog just before I got sick!!!!! he died of a mysterious illness. mmmmmmm makes one wonder???? Will let you know Monday evening thankyou.
  4. razorqueen

razorqueen Member

got a few pointers for ya. Buy yourself a few cheap baby diaper shirts. The kind that come up between the legs and snap together making it all in one. The put it one her upside down, so the snaps are along her back. Cut a hole for tale. This will help prevent her from licking! you may have to double them up. This worked amazingg for our Shih tzu Zoe. You DON"T want her to lick,as she will get infection. Just determine the lenght of your dog and get a size that will fit accordingly. I think we got Zoe a 12month size!
    Blessings!
    Raz
  5. CooBax

CooBax New Member

Hey,

Routine blood work is very recommended before surgery...can rule out complications...good luck I am sure she will be fine...i have two GSD and they r great fun.

Lesley
  6. smiffy79

smiffy79 New Member

dont cover up the wound just sit with her when she starts to be a little less dopy.

you mustnt cover up her stitches but as has been said she must be stopped from licking them.

all three of mine have been done and countless with the rescue,all we do is get a 'lampshade' for persistant lickers. my biggest dalmatian split hers on the eveing after her op and is could see the second set inside all she has a is a wiggly scar,the vet said it was perfectly fine.
    dont let her do anything active no running,dont have her up and down stes or on the sofa. wash all her bedding and the floors as you dont want loose fluff in the wound.

your vets should provide you with a bland but very wholesome food,usually a chicken and rice wet food. if they dont then ask for a recommended brand.
  7. smiffy79

smiffy79 New Member

my vet is ok,they go in in the morning and i get them about 4/5 but i stay with them all night
  8. darude

darude New Member

Big day tomorrow will keep you updated!!!! Thanks.
  9. darude

darude New Member

Having her surgery right now as we speak. Poor little Mila.
  10. Kinsie

Kinsie New Member

darude, we just had our tiny teacup chihuahua (she was 6 mo. old) spayed about a month ago. Talk about worrying. She only weights 2 lb and 6 oz. We talked to the vet numerous times about being concerned about her having surgery as tiny as she is. She also had a hernia repaired at the same time.

I was a nervous wreck all day. My husband went by to see her the afternoon of the surgery ( later he said it was a good thing I didn't go - tubes, etc.). Well, she did just fine, but I was horrified when I found out no one stays with them over night after surgery. They would not let us bring her home until the next morning though.

The vet's assistant told me when I picked Buttons up that the vet had monitored her more than they usually do, and that the technicians gave her a lot of attention while she was there. I think they are a little uneasy about operating on such a small doggie, but she had to have it done. She was groggy when I brought her home, but in no time she was up and going like nothing had ever happened!

Your little fellow will be just fine.

Let us know how it went.

Kinsie
  11. darude

darude New Member

Surgery went well and will be picking her up at 2-00pm.
  12. Kinsie

Kinsie New Member

You're lucky that you can bring her home today. Keeps down a lot of worry.

Glad it went well.

Kinsie
  13. razorqueen

razorqueen Member

it is think cotton with lots of air flow . I know numerous breeders who use this method.
  14. darude

darude New Member

Haas vomited twice and looks very sad! Has cone for head to stop licking
  15. smiffy79

smiffy79 New Member

darude,how is she now?? was she ok in the night?

mine look at me like 'how could you!'.
    its probably my imagination but it still hurts. :(
  16. darude

darude New Member

Vomitted and a lot and not eating or drinking. Very lethargic have to take her back in today to check.
  17. smiffy79

smiffy79 New Member

whats the vet said?
    my dogs all had no complications.