OT A ? about service dogs and training

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Mamalovinit, Jan 14, 2006.

1. Mamalovinit

Mamalovinit New Member

Sorry everyone I know service dogs has been talked about here. I went and read those post and did a search on the net. 4 hours latter I still don't know enough. Sooooo I thought I would ask you.

Is there a place to look up state laws?

How old does the dog need to be before training?

Have any of you worked with a dog because of diabetes?

Here's our story.
    My 8 year old son is a type 1 diabetic. He has had it since the age of 2. We are waiting for insurance approval for the pump right now. He has had only 3 lows that caused collapse. 3 to many if your his mama. He doesn't go out to play by himself in case of lows. He has to stop play for snacks and checks of his blood sugar. At times he needs to take naps from fatigue excpecially in the summer when its hot. I read about a group that raises dogs to detect lows before they happen. The dogs also retrieve drinks and alert if the person needs assistance. The prise tag is 25,000 not including travel and such. WE can not ever do that so...
    We thought about trying to do it our self. We have a friend that breeds Golden Retrievers and offered us one to train for him. We may not be able to teach the dog to detect lows. If he could retrieve help for him when he feels low that would help. Alert us by barking on command or somthing. Plus retrieve drinks and his med. kit.
    What do you think? Can this be done by people who has never taught a dog more than lay down and dance for food.

Biggest thing would the state except the dog if it was home trained?
    How would you get it certified?
    Husband also said we could have it reg. obedience trained. We just can't afford special training or to buy one already trained.
    His birthday is in March and he said all I want is my own service dog.

Mamalovinit
  2. Dee50

Dee50 New Member

Hi.
    You can start at www.iaadp.org for lots of information.
    Go to your state site to look up service dogs rules.

In Idaho where I live you need a Rx from your son's doctor. Doctor just writes Service Dog as per on his Rx pad.

Service Dogs do not have to wear a vest but Ruby and I like to. I ordered it at The Raspberry Field, info@raspberryfield.com

Some states want a good citizen award thats just basic general training. Get a basic health check,rabies tags and city tags. There is no other certified thing that you have to do.

I hope you get him his dog soon. The dog most show no protection issues. This dog is not to protect your son from people so the dog must be very friendly to all people and other animals. I think that 6 months (the dog) is old enough for the dog and your boy to start their relationship. The is a 24/7 relationship his service dog must go everywhere with your son, always by his side. I think this dog may be able to know when your son is low (in time) and he will come to you. This is of course after the two have bonded.

At 8 your boy is old enough and this dog is going to be his best friend. I would buy a service vest and a "Stop Do Not Pet" patch and a Service dog in training patch and go for it! This will make things easyier for you in public. The public thinks of all dogs as pets. In the begining you do not what people petting this dog because when the dog is in the vest and in public he is working and is not a "pet". Your dog will learn this quickly. Does that make since to you?

I would think that someone that trains siezure dogs may be able to help you. (but you may not need anyones help) The rest you can do by buying a clicker training your dog book. There are many books I like Peggy Tillman "Clicking with Your Dog"

Hope this helps you all and yes I know you can train this dog! It just takes time and your son will be so so happy! :) $25,000 that's CRAZY!
    Dee50
    [This Message was Edited on 01/14/2006]
  3. Mamalovinit

Mamalovinit New Member

We are going to do this for him.
    Thank you for the encouragement.
    We have a chose between a 5 month old Golden Retriever or to wait till the next little group is born.
    What do you think?
    The one site I read on said they put an 8 week old pup with their son. The bonding started right away. Maybe missed its family so it bounded with the boy a lot faster.
    So should we wait for the new pup to arrive or get the 5 month old?

Thanks for the information about the vest for a dog in training. I wondered how that would work.

The 25,000 was the cheapest, most will run 50,000 plus.And take up to two or three years to get.

M

[This Message was Edited on 01/15/2006]
  4. rockyjs

rockyjs Member

Do a search on Google for "Top Dog Arizona". It's the second listing.

This organization believes that the disabled are capable of training their own dogs to specific standards and it's great for people like me who can't spend a fortune on a therapy dog.

They provide training materials and they do certify dogs after they are trained by you or your trainer. I'm looking for a dog and hope to start training soon.

Jan[This Message was Edited on 01/15/2006]
  5. Dee50

Dee50 New Member

Think I'd go check out the 5 month old pup and see how this pup and your son do together. Have fun! :)
    Dee50
  6. lilchisler

lilchisler New Member

Hi there,
    I have not been on in a while, but I felt like I had to answer...first of all, you have chosen the perfect breed of dog for your son. The funny thing about a golden is that they are naturally loyal and friendly and have a second sense about the well being of their companion. Dogs that are well treated and loved will intuitively train easy, as taught in the form of "playful Pleasing you". That is there nature, They can be trained to do almost anything. The epilepsy foundation can probably give you the best info, but the they will tell you that dogs sense change in electricity and sensory changes conectictly..that is why they are able to sense a change in body chemistry as in diabetes ( our bodies deplete a certain smell) and in epilepsy, our bodies give off high rates of electricity. It is defintitely worth your investigation, plus the 'Do not pet, service dog in training..and the vests. Good luck to you, Lilchisler