OT a doggy diet question, on the strange side

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by BethM, Jul 16, 2006.

1. BethM

BethM New Member

My little dog, Ellie, prefers carbohydrates to meat.

She will take a piece of bread rather a piece of steak, if offered both at the same time. She will politely take a piece of hot dog, but then drop it. If I add chicken to her bowl with her regular food (roll food from Natural Balance), she will either refuse the whole bowl of food, or just pick out the chicken and drop it on the floor.

Is this strange, or what???

Other than being a few pounds overweight, she is a healthy little dog, has lots of energy, loves to play, and is very loving and social.

Any thoughts on this odd preference? It's a fairly new behaviour, began when we moved to my sister's house in December and has been more noticeable since we moved to Northern CA last month.

A stress reaction? Maybe she needs the carbs to boost her seratonin levels? This isn't a critical issue, but it is definitely odd.

Doggy hugs,
    Beth.
  2. wildflowers2

wildflowers2 New Member

just give her dog food and only healthy treats . ask your vet for suggestions. you may be doing more harm than good by giving your pet table food.

3. Cromwell

Cromwell New Member

Don't worry we have one cat that steals corn on the cob and another that likes bananas and another that loves bread! They steal these things when they can!

However, be careful re hot dogs as they may have onion powder in them which accumulates and is fatal eventually to dogs. So maybe the dog is smart to chuck out the meat!!!

Love Anne Crom
  4. ckball

ckball New Member

Wildflower is right. We should NEVER give our dogs table food.

I have become very freindly with my vet, Twila was a parvo puppie. I asked about the people food and he said no people food.

One bite of the wrong thing for that particular dog could kill him.

Generally alot of people feed them table scraps and no harm is done, except a little weight gain. Their bodies are not like ours and cannot handle digesting it.

I was guilty too, but after that I stopped. I have trained them not to beg, actually I did that when I gave them scraps. They learned if they let mommy eat in peace, they get a treat. Now its doggie treats.

I do give them snack crackers as a training food. It is cheaper than the real treats so you can do it everyday.

I watch a show called The Dog Whisperer, it is on the National Geo channel. He is so cool how he trains these dogs.

If I were you I would ask my Vet what might be best to feed her for the transistion from people food

The moves probably have been upsetting to her too. Especially if she is older.

Maybe she doesn't want meat because she may have a dental problem or it just upsets her stomach.

You should post a picture, you have 2? What are they?

I hope you find a answer- Carla
  5. BethM

BethM New Member

It really is ok to feed 'people food' to dogs. I used to cook for my dogs, chicken or turkey and rice and vegies and fruits, until I ran out of energy to do that. They were eating better than I was, I was cooking more for them than for myself...

The high end dog foods are made with human grade ingredients, pretty much the same ingredients I used when I cooked for them.

That said, I would not feed them sweets or junk food, either junk food made for people or for dogs! A lot of the doggy treats available at the pet food stores are made with sugar, artificial colors and sweetners, and chemical preservatives. I read labels for my dogs' food and snacks like I read them for mine.

Feeding people food to dogs is a long running controversy, and there are many opinions on it, from veterinarians and from dog owners. This is mine, for what it's worth!

We have two dogs. Ellie is a 4 year old schnauzer-poodle mix, with perhaps some bassett hound, because she has short legs that turn out like bassett feet tend to do. She is a love, a sweet little dog who has saved my sanity many times! Our other dog, Cosmo, is a 100 pound white lab/(maybe) shepherd mix. He is 11 years old, and a wonderful dog.

I do give them too many treats, I admit! I'm a Jewish mother, I can't help it!! I want to try baking doggy biscuits, should be fun.

My concern about Ellie preferring carbs to meat is just because that is unusual dog behaviour. I agree that the moves have unsettled her, and I am trying to keep her routine as regular as possible now.

I just worry...

Peace,
    Beth.
  6. mrdad

mrdad New Member

I mention the other Day that I had a Black Lab years ago

who occasionally would eat a New York steak off the back

poarch of my Dinner House. Eventually, he got bored with

them and stopped eating them all together. He liked a

few left over Buns, but wouldn't eat the hog dogs as he

claimed it would be "Cannibalism"!!?? Woof, Woof.

Anyway we all have are little idiotsyncracies I guess.

There must be a reason.

I' m sure you're glad that your not still down South with

the fires and all!!

"Talk" latter,
    MRDAD
  7. hugs4evry1

hugs4evry1 New Member

Have you tried feeding your dog good healthy treats like baby carrots, apples etc...Not necessarily just for treats though.

Dogs love fresh vegetables and fruits. We can't peel a banana around here without my Malt running to her bowl to see if we've left her a piece.

I was like someone else who mentioned cooking for their pet until I just wasn't able to do it anymore.

Most dog food is crap...brewer's yeast is the crap they sweep up off the floor. Ingredients that no animal should ever have to injest (yes, even though they lick their butts)!!

We add baby carrots or chopped green peppers to Dixie's food all the time. Any time someone is having fruit, we share it with her too.

Nancy B.
  8. BethM

BethM New Member

my guys each get a raw carrot every morning. They crunch away quite happily, and sometimes will even 'hoover' up the crumbs.

They both like most fruits and vegies, but we NEVER give the big dog broccoli. If he eats it, his gas will make your eyes water! Cauliflower is fine, but not broccoli!

Oh, don't get me started, I love talking about my dogs!

I appreciate all the responses, and hope we can all agree to disagree, since feeding our furkids is such an individual thing for each of us.

Peace,
    Beth.
  9. Greenbean7

Greenbean7 New Member

I don't give my dogs people food, or at least not table scraps. They do get fresh fruit, apples, pears, melon, and little carrots. I even use fruit and veggies in their Kongs when they get them in the evening. Smashed banana is really hard to get out of a Kong. Especially if you put peanut butter in there with it! They love that.

Mine get Flint River Ranch which is made with all human grade ingredients. It is baked (looks like broken cookies) instead of extruded like most dog foods. I also buy Flint River treats because they are just as healthy. I use tiny litte Zukes with glucosamin for training treats. They really smell bad so they must really taste good!

Maybe Ellie is getting ready for a marathon and is carbo loading!?!? If she asks for noodles you better keep an eye on her!

Hugzz
    Greenbean

Stop and smell the puppies!
  10. hugs4evry1

hugs4evry1 New Member

If we just redefined "people food".

In the old days when I was a kid, the dog got fed the scrapings off our plates and whatever else looked good. I think that's how many of us define it.

But nowadays we know more and feed our pets the good wonderful things like fruits and veggies that people don't ordinarily associate with "people food", but it is....

Nancy B

[ advertisement ]