OT A skunk sprayed my dog

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by sjogrens, Aug 7, 2006.

1. sjogrens

sjogrens New Member

This past weekend my dog was sprayed by a skunk Do any of you know how to get the smell off our dog? It has been 3 days and she still smells bad. We did tomatoe sauce and the baking soda,dish soap and peroxide solution. Will the smell wear off on its own? Thanks, Lisa
  2. suzetal

suzetal New Member

It takes awhile for the smell to completly go away.The poor baby.

Good luck.

Give He/she a hug for me.
    Sue
  3. ckball

ckball New Member

Twila came home last yeer, naaasssssssssstttttyyyyyyyyyyyy.
    All I had was a couple cans of tomato soup, then used deoderizer shampoo.

I don't think she got full spray but it was enoung,

They say tomatoe juice works good too.

Good luck! Carla
  4. jjdg

jjdg New Member

douche bottles of vinegar and water,pour over your pet rub it in sponge it on his face where rubber gloves so you don't smell like a skunk,don't rinse. might need to do it at least 2x
    janet
  5. sjogrens

sjogrens New Member

Thank you I am going to try everything.
  6. 2YUNG

2YUNG New Member

What has worked for us here in NJ is equal parts of
    Baking soda, white vinegar and club soda. Then wash dog with doggie shampoo.Good luck
    Debbie
  7. sherrie-w

sherrie-w New Member

hello
    do you have sjogrens? what is it like? symtons . how does it afect your life? i have also (new) thank you sherrie
  8. 69mach1

69mach1 New Member

plus all of the above..

jodie
  9. ontariogirl

ontariogirl New Member

Our dog got sprayed a couple of years ago although it wasn't close contact she smelled bad!!

I used Avons bubble bath and it took the odor away.

It's also good to use as a general household cleaner.

Good luck
    Marlene
  10. MamaDove

MamaDove New Member

No Tomato Juice!!!
    No Lysol!!!

First, isolate the sprayed area...Usually between the eyes, top of head or shoulder areas...You must find the exact area sprayed, it's never that large...

DAWN dish liquid first to break down the 'oil'...Then you could use a fresh smelling scented douche OR a mixture of vinegar and water (but that doesn't smell very good)

Rinse well...

Once you believe you have taken the proper steps to deodorize, you must DRY completely or the scent will remain.

Depending on the access of the area, if it can be gotten to without harming the eyes, two washings should do it...

As a groomer, all of my dogs were done well enough to control the odor on the first cleaning but as soon as they got wet while swimming or in the rain, the smell returns (less potent each time tho)

If he/she was wearing a collar, examine that carefully, could be in there too...Nylon and leather will not wash completely clean so might as well get a new one...

But please don't use tomato juice (myth) and no lysol ever.
    The root of the smell is in the oil and needs to be dealt with properly...Try the above and let me know how you do.

Good Luck

11. carebelle

carebelle New Member

Tomatoe Juice is what I've always been told.
    I hope shes a little dog or that could cost a pretty penny
  12. Try massengil douche, bathe the dog and then rinse him off well and the final rinse should be the douche. Best of luck.
    [This Message was Edited on 08/08/2006]