ot about bugs

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by 69mach1, Oct 12, 2005.

1. 69mach1

69mach1 New Member

i have been getting these little brown bugs in my food that is in my cupboards. they are not roaches thank god. but they are ruining my food. first time i found them in a blender that evidentially didn't have all of a protein shake rinsed out of it, i have a now 15 year old son.

then i just found them in a box of opened raisens, i thought i would make him some peanuts and raisens and dried fruit for his snack at school after school before practice (football), so i just wasted all that and put down the garabage disposal.

i found them in rice in a bag a few times. i don't know what to do to get rid of these bugs.. someone told me they thought they were wheat wevals. but why am i finding them in raisins now.

any suggestions what they are and how to get rid of them?

also i have silverfish thai have told the apartment managetr about he siad they sprayed for them. well i still have them too. theya re eating holes in our clothes.

any suggestions?

jodie
  2. Kinsie

Kinsie New Member

I'm not sure what this could be, but I think they are called weavils ( they get in corn meal, cereal, etc). But, don't take my word for it!! I also don't know what to do to get rid of them.

I'm no help, but I bet someone on the board will know.

Kinsie
  3. abbylee

abbylee New Member

It's likely they came in with your groceries and have been happily reproducing at your house.

You need an exterminator and he may have to come more than once since the bugs are in lots of your products.

You probably need to empty all of your cabinets, wipe them out really good, I would probably spray them and when the spray dries I'd line them with shelf paper - white so that you can easily see any new bugs.

Sometimes they get in the light fixtures so check them, too.

abbylee
  4. Mareeok

Mareeok New Member

large dry dog or cat food? Do you have pets? What an ordeal to have to go through plus the waste and money loss. It's such a shame.

My daughter, Aubrey, and I bought a bag of fig newtons from Walmart and as we drove home we took out one wrapped row of cookies and ate them. When we opened the second wrapped row there were little beige bugs in it. Well, we nearly barfed as we carefully checked the empty package we had eaton. To our relief we picked the right one that had no bugs in it. It took two years for us to be able to eat fig newtons again. Eeewwwww.
  5. Denamay

Denamay New Member

Off course like others have mentioned; you will have to throw out all your grain products and give every thing a good cleaning.

after you have stored your new goods in plastic or glass containers you can get yourself some Fossil Flower Household Organic Bug Killer.

It is made from ground coral and the sharp particals break the skin of most bugs and therefore kill them dead.

Works like charm it is long lasting and is not poison.

Other name is:Diatomaceous Earth. Denamay
  6. cshellz

cshellz New Member

Hi
    We had them--some even fly. They do get in all packaged goods--don't think they'll hurt you if you eat one accidently--but you'll need to clear out the cupboard: Wipe it down with warm sudzy water (Dr. Bronners peppermint soap is great for this: safe and they hate the mint!! :) )
    Then when you re-stock, be sure to use air tight containters--whether you use rubbermaid or even good quality zip loc bags or they WILL come back!!! arggghhh!

Then if you like you can get a large bag of Whole Bay Leaves at the store (the cooking kind) like at Smart and Final or Costco. Put them around the inside of the cupboard or even in with some of the drygoods. They'll last a few monthes and the bugs wont go there. Also an unwrapped piece of white wrigleys gum (not chewed!! lol)
    will keep them discouraged and hopefully out of flour or crackers and shouldn't affect taste! Keep an eye on the cupboard and watch for new "hatchlings" if you can keep them "at bay" for a 8-10 weeks they should be gone!

This works at our house--hope it helps!

Cshellz
  7. tngirl

tngirl New Member

Sometimes I notice them in flour or cornmeal. I was told that they are not harmful but of course no one wants to knowingly eat bugs!

If you put your flour in the freezer it takes care of the problem.

I was a home economics major in college, and this is what they told me.

But if they are in everything, I know it all can't go in your freezer.

The freezer stops them from hatching or getting contaminated from something that had them. I know who wants to eat the eggs either, right? Oh well, I figure what I can't see won't hurt me!
  8. LittleBluestem

LittleBluestem New Member

Heavy duty zip-lock bags also work well for storage. Since they take on the size of their contents, they make it possible to get more stuff into the refrigerator. Also put thing in the cupboard in zip-lock bags, so that if one thing is infested with weevils, they will not spread to the other things.
  9. JLH

JLH New Member

I put all of my flour and cornmeal in the freezer for a min. of 24 hours before I bring it in the house to use it!

This kills any of those little weavels if they are in there!

Then transfer to airtight containers.