OT-ANNOYED Getting Repeated Misleading Telephone Calls

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Steinem, Nov 7, 2006.

1. Steinem

Steinem New Member

I've gotten over 100 calls from political candidates in the past week and I am more than fed up!

If you don't listen to the entire message, it sounds like it's coming FROM one candidate, but if you listen to the entire message, you realize the call is actually to discourage people from voting for that particular candidate.

I finally called the offices of the candidates that are being mentioned in the calls and asked if they were from them. They emphatically said 'no' and told me they'd gotten dozens of complaints and that the opposition candidate was making the calls and misleading voters into thinking it was their candidate.

After a few minutes of research I found articles in all major newspapers about these tactics.

The calls are termed "Robo-calls" and are common during election season but never before with this kind of intensity. I know that a lot is at stake, but these hijinks are inexcusable.

The purpose of the calls is obviously to annoy people by harassing them and having people decide not to vote at all or at least not for the candidate being targeted.

One problem is that the calls continue up to a dozen times EACH and during that entire time, the line is tied up (I cannot get a dial tone) and I can't use my phone or receive other calls. Very infuriating and more importantly HIGHLY ILLEGAL (according to FCC rules).

Voters are asked to report these calls, with as much information as possible (number on Caller ID, which in one case is 000-000-000, along with the content of message) at the Voter Help Hotline: 1-800 OUR VOTE, (1-800.687.8683). They will look into who is responsible for this and fine them $500 per call.

I've barely slept a wink in the past week and wondered if anyone else here had gotten any of these calls. Without sleep, my pain and fatigue increase - needless to say, I'm in a CFS flare.

I'm mad as heck and I'm gonna do something about it.

[This Message was Edited on 11/07/2006]
  2. zenouchy

zenouchy Member

We luckily only got one phone call, but it was legit. I've NEVER heard of such a thing?!! What state are you in? I hope you get some much-deserved rest. You are smart to report those jerks! Much love, Erika
  3. Cromwell

Cromwell New Member

But not political but from DISH tv, dozens of them. When we tried to talk to a human they would cut us off. Finally after weeks of this annoyance, and, like you, when they were on we could not cut the phone off. We do not have cell phones, and once when we were waiting on literally a life and death situation our call waiting lit up with a call from the hospital we could not answer!!!

Dan managed to trick someone into talking to him and asked for our number to be removed and since then no calls, but it took weeks to actually succeed in having it removed, and yes, we have call blocking and reported to the FCC.

Like you, they hide the ID number too, so they have us captive. If anyone had to call 911 I would hate to think.

Love Anne
  4. shar6710

shar6710 New Member

We get a lot of political calls too. I feel they are all self-serving and stretch the truth. I prefer to get my info from the newspaper.

Of course I always hang up whenever I detect that a call is a recording, period.

I did feel a little bad yesterday about hanging up on the first lady...
  5. Steinem

Steinem New Member

...that I didn't respond sooner - I crashed after the calls finally ended and am only now able to sit at the computer.

You were all kind to respond and I wanted you to know that I appreciate it very much.

Best to you.