OT any advice please on treating open pores on face?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Smiffy, Mar 11, 2006.

1. Smiffy

Smiffy Member

Please has anyone any advice? I think that you in other countries are way in advance of us here in the U.K. with regard to skincare treatments.

After 40 years of dreadful adult acne, I've finally got it under control with a low carb diet (why don't out doctors tell us these things? I followed a useless low fat diet for years ).

The acne's left me with such dreadful open pores that my entire face looks like it's covered in holes. It looks masculine & can't be hidden with make up. My skin's still oily but no longer breaking out in spots.

I'm not vain, I just don't want to look like the surface of the moon. Thanks for listening!
  2. Banka8

Banka8 New Member

Hi Smiffy,

I love Oil of Olay Regenerist lotion. It has really helped to reduce my large pores and help the tone and fine lines. It comes in a lotion and cream and and eye formula. You can buy it at the drug store and it is inexpensive compared to department store creams. I don't know if you can buy it in the UK but you can try.

I think you will like the results.

Have a nice day.

Judy
    [This Message was Edited on 03/11/2006]
  3. mbofov

mbofov Active Member

There was a doctor named Benjamin Frank who had success treating acne with a diet high in RNA (ribonucleic acid). He also used straight RNA supplements.

RNA is also supposed to help reduce wrinkles and make skin look younger, so it may help with acne scars, but I don't know for sure. Dr. Frank's book said that people notice results in about 4 months.

My doctor recommended I try RNA supplementation for energy and that I do research on Dr. Frank. Dr. Frank wrote a book called "Dr. Frank's No-Aging Diet" in 1976. It's out of print, but I got a used copy on-line. It's very interesting.

I started taking chlorella a few months ago because it is high in RNA, but I kept detoxing with it, so couldn't take very much. I'm now taking pure RNA from Nature's Life (324 mg. RNA/32.4 mg. DNA per tablet). I take 3 a day, so I'm taking almost 1,000 mg. a day.

My doctor told me to take two 500 mg. tablets a day for 2 weeks, and then up it to four 500 mg. tablets a day. So far I'm just sticking with the three 324 mg. tabs a day.

If you go over 3,000 mg. a day, you run teh risk of developing kidney stones as it can create excess uric acid in the body but my doctor said that at 2,000 mg. a day there should be no problem.

So I don't know if this is an answer for you, but it's very interesting all the same. I do think it's helping my energy but too soon to really tell. My doctor said that Dr. Frank cured several people who had congestive heart failure using his RNA diet and supplementation, and it's supposed to be very good for degenerative diseases.

So I'm hoping but don't really dare to hope too much that it will help my CFIDS.

The Olay Regnerist lotion Judy mentioned sounds interesting - I'm always looking for good skin care products.

Take care --

Mary
  4. kjfms

kjfms Member

...Apricot Scrub...I use it every day and it has done wonders for my skin...I have adult acne as well.

The suggested use is one to two times per week but my skin get really dry and flakey along with enlarged pores that I do better using it every day to slough off the dead skin. Just my opinion. :)

I follow with a good moisterizer

Thanks,

Karen
  5. Smiffy

Smiffy Member

Thank you so much banka8, mbofov, kjfms & honebear for your much appreciated advice! I've written down all your recommendations to follow up. xxx
  6. smiffy79

smiffy79 New Member

smiffy. my mum used to use both apricot scrub and oil of olay effectivly and her skin had a great glow to it.
    now she just hasnt got the funds.

my sister who is now approaching her teens is suffering more than i ever did so mum spends all her left over pennies on my sisters face care stuff.
    i didnt have one zit til i hit about 18 so at 27 i think i have it pretty much under control :).

ps i love avons planet spa deep sea mud mask :) <<<< as modelled by my icon <<<<<
  7. Rosiebud

Rosiebud New Member

I have no advice BUT I'm wondering what your diet is like, I have adult acne too and the same problem with open pores.

Thanks
    love
    Rosie
  8. Smiffy

Smiffy Member

Thank you too for your welcome advice fellow smiffy!

I'm following Dr St Amand's diet for hypoglycemic fibromyalgics rosiebud; you'll find it on the Guaidoc website. The acne clearing up is an unexpected bonus.
  9. justlooking

justlooking New Member

Go to Olays website, they were giving out free samples of a couple of their products, including the Regenerist lotion a couple of days ago. Hopefully they still have that offer available!

I also have very big pores but when I treat them my face gets dry and then breaks out and then I have to stop using products and then my skins wrinkles start to show....its a never ending cycle for me. But when I do treat my pores I use an exfoliator (apricot scrub), regular astringent or Nutrogena pore refining astringent, and I use an Olay lotion that doesn't clog pores 2x a day. Before I apply makeup and then after I wash my face at night.

My problem with my pores I think are from years of not taking care of my skin. I always wore makeup to bed and always had acne problems. I still break out at 39yo but my face also gets dry sometimes too. I try to go days without wearing makeup at all, but truthfully I am a little vain. I am scary with out makeup LOL. But I need to give my skin a break once in awhile or my pores get worse.

I sure wish I could find the perfect product.
    Sincerely
    jl
    [This Message was Edited on 03/14/2006]
  10. Smiffy

Smiffy Member

Thank you for your advice Charlie & justlooking.
  11. berrytired

berrytired New Member

I use a toner from Biotherm...love it. If your really hating it it wouldn't hurt to look into a professional peel...or start with a mild microdermabrasion. I'm not vain either but if somethings going to bother me huge...I'm getting it dealt with no matter what. Tho I'm against real plastic surgery...