OT Any Homade Soap Users/makers??

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by sisland, Oct 16, 2006.

1. sisland

sisland New Member

I Just Love it! Orderded some from a gal that makes it on Ebay !it's lightly sented and wow what a difference it makes in your skin!

Thinking about ordering the stuff to make my own!
  2. sisland

sisland New Member

I've Been eyeing this Adventure for awhile! Sounds Like Work But also alot of fun! How long Have you been Making soap? Thats so Neat that you do it for your Family too!

There are so many different kinds you can Make! Just starting to get serious about presuing it! ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Hugs! I'll Keep you informed,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Thanks ,,,S
  3. SweetT

SweetT New Member

I make soap, but from premade bases. I have yet to make it from scratch, with the lye and all.

I also save soap slivers and remelt and then form into another bar of soap (I'm extremely frugal) or melt them and add water for my own liquid soap.

Yes, I mostly give away my soap as gifts, in addition to special-occasion gifts.
  4. sisland

sisland New Member

I'm Still inthe process of Learning about it all! I'm sure it will Take awhile with all the Fog!! lol! But the soap i ordered was the Olive Oil type that is made by what they call cold press procedure!

I Am also a very sensitive Skin type and this soap is great it's Made with all sort of natural oils and yo can go to Ebay and type in the Search box (Handmade soaps) and it will take you to all sorts of Soap Makers and their products!,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,But the olive oil Vegan kind is the one i Got! a new adventure for me also,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Hugs,,,,,,,,,,,,,
    P.S. I Need To Learn How The Melting Works also![This Message was Edited on 10/17/2006]
  5. janieb

janieb New Member

And have been making it for years. I go to Michaels and buy the glycerin right now. l local natural food store supplies the essential oils and I bought the all natural color ingredients off the internet.

My granddaughter used to love making it with me.

All my in-laws and friends want to know when I'm going to be making it. They have cute molds out there and some of mine are homemade.

One year I got so backed up my husband had to spend an entire weekend helping me out.

Happy to answer any questions.

janieb
  6. sisland

sisland New Member

Hi
    Thanks for your reply! Trying to find the best buy on ingredients!,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Found some Recipies last night in my search on google!,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Saw that people use wood-molds and some say pringle cans make good molds also!,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Can you give me an idea about making molds??

Do you use lye in your soaps? Thankyou so much for your input! I'm really excited about presuing this! it gives me something to think about other than the DD's,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,I Have presto hot pot that i'm planning on useing for the heating process ! It says to heat it to 110-120 Degrees and when there is Trace then you pour into molds at Med trace!,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Thanks again !,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Hugs! Glad your Hubby is there to Help! Did He enjoy Helping you? I'm sure He did!

Skeesix~~~~~Thanks for letting us Know about the melting process and the Nylon idea! Do remember Homeade Mustard packs? My Gramma used to Make them when we were sick and put them on our chests! usually when we had a chest cold!~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~I Miss My Gramma's i could learn so much from them! They were true pioneer Women!
    [This Message was Edited on 10/18/2006]
    [This Message was Edited on 10/18/2006]
  7. janieb

janieb New Member

Nice to hear from you.

I did order a few pre-made molds, but most of them were things like and old, antique muffin pan. Sometimes cookie cutters work. Just look around and see what you can find.

I melt mine in the microwave and it works beautifully.

janieb
  8. sisland

sisland New Member

Thanks for the Tips!! I really appreciate it! it does sound alot better to do it in the microwave! and to do it in smaller Batches! Because working with the Lye sounds like you Have to wear a Hazmat suit! lollol!

I have alot of things around the house I can use for Molds! I can tell that you really like to do this! Food coloring is a great idea! Thanks so much for the information!,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Hugs,,,,,,,Sydney
  9. puddin827

puddin827 New Member

Is there any web sites I can go to and check how to start making soap ? My grandaughter wants to try it. We tried searching one time and could not find any
  10. sisland

sisland New Member

I've been searching for awhile! The best results i found were on Google search box, type in (soap makeing recipies) or (soap making supplies) Or ( Handmade Soaps) and it will give you a list of websites to go to!

You just have to keep browseing until you find what you want!,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Goodluck,,,,,,,,,I'm having fun!!trying to get myself going on something productive!,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Sydney
  11. janieb

janieb New Member

is that they are so much better for you if you use only good ingredients.

I purchased the base soap, usually glycerin from Michaels and used only good essential oils and a natural coloring method found on the internet.

With the last message you received, you have probably found them by now.

My granddaughter wrote me a note many years ago and I recently found it. She told me I was so cool, because I let her help me make soap and wore baggy clothes (the era of the bibs). I love finding these old messages.

Vanessa is now 18 and a senior in high school. She's as old as I was when I got married. Love her to death.

janieb
  12. Andrea4

Andrea4 New Member

I am using a soy based soap from some folks that make it at their farm...it comes in many scents, but I prefer the oatmeal, milk and honey. If you google Barefoot Creations, that's them. They also make soy candles which are soo much more healthy for the environment. If you want to try them, call in your order...their online ordering is new and still has bugs.

By the way, this soap I use...the oatmeal milk and honey...it's good for eczema too...at least it is for my kids. :)
  13. sisland

sisland New Member

That's really cool that your Grandaughter thinks your a cool gramma! My youngest girl will turn 20 on Oct,22nd ! can't believe it ! She's in Her 2nd year of college! ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,My other 2 Daughters are 24 & 27 both grauated college i'm so happy about that! My 24yearold is a Elementry Teacher and she also got Married this Last summer!wow Does time fly!

My oldest has her own Landscaping Buisness ! Sorry Being windy! But i'm so so proud of them! But i've been trying to decide on trying to do something productive at Home Do to the illness!,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Soap Making,candy making, and Baking seem to be my callings at this point in my life!,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Thanks for all the tips! by the way have you ever used a shea Butter base? or a Olive oil Base?,,,,,,,,,,,,,S
  14. sisland

sisland New Member

Thanks for your reply! I think once i get into this making soap thing there wont be any going back to store bought!!lollol!,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,I'm planning on adding oatmeal and Honey also maybe some Lavender and honeysuckle etc,,,,,,I'm going to check out the Barefoot Creations!,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,HuGs To All,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Sydney