OT- anyone have aquarium with FM?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by daylilyfan, Oct 31, 2005.

1. daylilyfan

daylilyfan New Member

I've been thinking of getting one. For stress relief for me, also for my 3-legged cat to watch. I've been thinking of getting a recumbant bike, and thought sitting peddling and looking at an aquarium would be pleasant... I would do freshwater tropical, probably no live plants. Cannot decide what size.

if you have one, do the chemicals/ smells/ etc cause any problems?

how about lifting water for the water changes, dealing with cleaning filters etc? cause any problems because of having fm?
  2. amberini

amberini New Member

Hi Daylilly,

I have both aquariums and a pond and I enjoy them for their beauty and tranquility.

Size counts, if you choose a smaller aquarium you could have more work. The rule of thumb is an inch of fish per gallon of water. So you would have really small fish or one big one. I have had 10 gallon tanks before and I had to clean them each week. There are better filter systems now so it could mean a little less work. Still, I think I might choose a 20 gallon tank. I have a 100 gallon pond and a 55 gallon tank.

Plants in your tank add beauty and keep the water healthy.
    You need an oxygenator plant, I have anacraris (sic). Parrotfeathers are a nice plant too. They float on top and develop long roots which the fish like to swim thru and sleep in.

Then there is the question of what kind of fish. You can choose community fish ( they get along ) or a more aggressive gish like ciclids. They can be pretty to look at but don't get along with community fish too well.
    And then you might have to heat your water. Some tropicals require a certain water temp. and that is another hassle.

For now, I have different gold fish varieties and a Plecostamus ( sic). I have had Oranda's and Fantails. There are many varities to choose from. They aren't fussy and for me that is just great.

Do your research first. There are many great sites on the web to educate yourself.

Good luck, Amberini

3. daylilyfan

daylilyfan New Member

that is funny - an aquarium with FM!

I'm glad that the aquarium has not caused problems with water changes or chemicals.

I know it's a lot to learn about, but they are so cool... so peaceful.

I'm stuck right now between waiting a while to afford a larger one - perhaps 65 or 75 gallon, or getting a smaller one - like a 20. It seems most people get the small one and then want a big one.

THanks!!
    Jules
  4. browneyes259

browneyes259 New Member

I do. My husband got it for me as a gift. I really enjoy watching them swimming around. It's really relaxing to me and I love animals of all shapes and sizes anyway.

Also have some cute pictures of my cat's doing some realxed fish watching too! LOL!

Mine are both freshwater though. Tropical tanks and fish are a more expensive and labor intensive route to go. If I had the $$ and/or the energy to take care of one properly that's what I would have.

Good luck deciding.

Hugs,
    Jen
  5. urchin

urchin New Member

I have a 10 gallon. The only thing that I don't like is my husband insists on having an ariator (spelling?) thing that bubbles all the time. Because I'm the only one that will do anything to the aquarium, occasionally the water level will get low. Between the constant bubble noise and the water trickle noise from the filter, sometimes I get overloaded with the noise, but then the lights humming at work gets to me also.

Lenka
  6. foggyfroggy

foggyfroggy Guest

Hi there!

I also have a 75 and love it - mine is heavily planted and has small community fish. You have to test the water once a week, use a heater to keep the temp constant and get a good filter - a hang on the back type is fine for anything under about a 55. Bigger really needs a canister. Bubblers are unnecessary with a filter and they are noisy so if you like the look, fine but if you are very noise sensitive like me you won't want one. Bigger is better as far as stability of water conditions but the water changes can be a pain. I use a Python system (well, actually my long-suffering husband does it) which is a goodie you just hook up to your sink and run to the aquarium.

There are tons of great and informative websites out there, one of my favorites is Aquatic Hobbyist - they have a great forum with a section for beginners. The Krib is also a great website and there are lots more.

Good luck whatever you decide!
    Gretchen
  7. dinodebi

dinodebi New Member

our family has two large tanks, 15 and 20gl, and then a few smaller tanks used for breeding and litle fish. each one has different types of fish, and the one on my desk is my favorite. Filled with Cichlids, a very aggressive fish, they love to breed and are very protective of their young. I have teh air tubes in since the sound of moving water relaxes me. cleaning them can be a chore, but that's what i have children for ;-) I've had my fist for more than 3yrs, and wouldn't trade them for anything. If you want a pet to interact with, but not alot of the hassle that comes from dogs or cats, get a parakeet or two. They can be rather loud, but also very friendly. Mine will sit on my shoulder while i'm working around the house, and keeps me company. She's also not offended if a few days go by where i can't pay her any attention.
  8. bunnyfluff

bunnyfluff Member

Ours is set up with a pump/drain system for water changes and we make our own R/O water. We have a natural reef tank with fish- really beautiful. I enjoy it a great deal, and the fish recognize me (I feed them). We have no problems, but it costs approx. $50/ month for elec. for the lights- the corals require a lot of really strong light to survive. Also, in the summer we have to run a water chiller, and in the winter a heater to maintain constant temps. A reef is a delicate balance. Seahorses have to have their own tanks, and be careful of preditory fish- you don't want them to eat the others!!
  9. JPach007

JPach007 New Member

I loved my fish tank..I did really well many years ago, and even managed to transport them when we moved without the fish dying. (Not an easy task!). Now is a different story...I struggle changing the water each month, 2 of my fish died, my live rock has alge (maybe the snails died too!)...
    But...I really love to hear the water filtering. Its very calming and relaxing.
    If I were to do it again, I would do a fresh water, smaller tank.