OT: Anyone know how to gain Muscle without losing fat

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by futurehope, Apr 16, 2006.

1. futurehope

futurehope New Member

Hi everyone and hope you are having a Good Easter!!

I am an extremely skinny person. Actually, I look aneroxic. I am a mere 86-87 lbs. and 5 3/2" inches.

I know I probably won't get many responses on this, but it is worth a try!

I wondered if there were any exercises that would help me gain muscle, BUT with what little fat I have, I do not want to lose any fat.

Does anyone have any ideas?

Any help would be appreciated.

I have 2 off topic posts here today so far, so it must be a day of trying to improve my appearance, etc.

I am in the mode of thinking maybe some of these things might make me feel better.

Thanks so much!!

Love and prayers,
    Brenda
  2. Michelle_NZ

Michelle_NZ New Member

Given your extremely low weight, I would think you would be better to focus on just gaining weight (fat). When you have put on about 20 pounds, you can then use that as energy to build muscle.

You will find it very hard to build muscle without some reserves.

Good luck
  3. futurehope

futurehope New Member

I have tried and tried to put fat on.

I have been eating like mad and the weight just does not come.

I know being this skinny is not healthy.

Any other suggestions on the fat or muscle issue?

Thanks so much!!
    Brenda
  4. vickiw

vickiw Member

Aerobic exercise is better for losing weight.

Anaerobic exercise is better for gaining muscle rather than weight loss. Do slow repetitions with dumbells or on a weight machine.

There are a lot of magazines that show exercises for different parts of the body.

Some people are just not genetically predispositioned to build much in the way of muscle definition. Others bulk up more easily. I'm in the former class - I always tended to be a stringbean no matter what.

I used to love to exercise, but with CFS it's out of the question now.
  5. futurehope

futurehope New Member

I do recall somebody mentioning something about Remeron. I went and researched it and it is an antidepressant. I mentioned it to the Doc, but he said "NO" because I am already on Effexor and it seems to work for me.

It is also sickening to me. You can see my rib cage, my spine, everything!!! I cannot fit into Junior Size Jeans because they are too big, even the Size 0's. And I do fit into kids jeans, BUT THEY ARE WAY TOO SHORT.

He last time I went to the Doc., I then mentioned Paxil, because it makes people gain weight. He said "NO" again. I think he realizes that I am at VERY HIGH stress levels right now and trying to get off Effexor would be a bad idea. I get Panic Attacks.

I have the problem also of every vein in my body showing. I do not know if that is a skinny issue or not. I am going to ask the Doc. about that. I have a post on here and many people have this problem and are interest in what the Doc. has to say.

And I hate people coming up to me and making comments. I am sure you have heard them too.

I do drink 2 bottles of Boost Plus every day, loaded with vitamins and fat. Boost Plus is for maintaining or gaining weight.

Steroids, can't do that. WOW, they make me hyper. I do not like what they can do to your body either.

I do have two 8 lb. small dumbells here. 8 lbs. each. I have thought about trying out. I think I could handle it. A little at a time.

By the way, my Doc does not seem concerned at all about my weight. Every time I bring it up, he does not say anything at all. I get so mad.

Well, I better shutup now! I am talking your ear off.

It was good hearing from someone who has the same problem. But, of course, not good that we do have the problem.

Take care and keep in touch. Let me know if anything ever works and I will do the same for you.

Love and prayers,
    Brenda
  6. spiritsky

spiritsky Member

You might want to get some growth hormone but get your IGF-1 levels checked first. I take it everday and it's helped me improve muscle mass, energy and sleep better.
  7. futurehope

futurehope New Member

Thank you so much for responding to me!!

I knew that aerobics would be bad for me!!!

I have two 8 lb. small dumbells around here. I will start using them. And you say, slow repetitions. Is this so I will not burn fat???

I do not have a weight machine, any ideas for the legs, or butt??

I look like a shapeless stick.

Oh yes, the magazine are a great idea!! I will try to get out tomorrow and find a good one that fits my needs.

I have never been a large person, but before I got sick, I was in between 105-110 pounds. I would love to have that back.

So this weight is not normal for me.

I have CFS also, but I am going to try. I am hardheaded. I know I can do some everyday.

Thanks again for the advice,
    Brenda
  8. NyroFan

NyroFan New Member

Brenda:
    I went over to Bally's one day to check out membership and I was told that I would not lose weight, but would turn fat into muscle. Well, that was the end of that. And how true it was, i do not know.

nyrofan
  9. futurehope

futurehope New Member

I will ask my doctor about that test tomorrow and about the growth hormone.

Love and prayers,
    Brenda
  10. futurehope

futurehope New Member

I don't know if I would handle a sports center. I have heard of Bally's, but don't know if I have one in the area around here.

I would love to try it if I could, maybe someday if I start feeling better.

I am afraid people would notice me getting too tired and I would pass out or something.

Great idea though, I will keep it in my mind!!

Thanks,
    Brenda
  11. HagerTX

HagerTX New Member

A few things come to mind...

If you are able to exercise to any degree, workout in teh gym. Use enough weight to where you can only do 5-8 reps. Do 1-3 sets. If you can workout, eat more protein. Eat chicken and boiled whites for extra protein and you may be able to start gaining some weight that way--and it probably won't affect the fat content of your body either way.
  12. futurehope

futurehope New Member

Thank you for the great suggestions on what to eat!! I will be sure I add these to my "FAT" diet. LOL

Too bad we do not have a Gym here in town. I think I am going to get a workout bench. I have some 8 lb. dumbells. I just need to figure out a way to work the legs.

Thanks again,
    Brenda

13. ellikers

ellikers New Member

You have to eat very healthy- make sure to get enough nutrients and drink enough water and get enough vitamins and minerals- and work out (as you are able).

Your body will find the best balance for you naturally if you do it the healthy way.

Here is my previous post on gaining weight in a healthy way: (P.S. search the message boards for posts on the topics you are interested in- there are lots of them out there)

I am currently taking a class on nutrition, and already know a fair amount of information through my own experience and research ....

I would suggest NOT eating horrible for you foods (like super refined and processed and sugary foods). That won't make you gain weight. Gaining weight depends a lot on your own metabolism, family history, current health problems and your own specific "set point" which is the ideal weight for your body to be it's healthiest.

I recently gained about 10 pounds (mostly by eating healthier and exercising according to what my body could do) and I'm quite happy with it! In addition, I think this is my body's "set point" because I feel much healthier and my digestion and ability to exercise and function has improved.

Here are some general ideas to increasing weight gain:

- You mentioned you don't have much of an appetite- I've struggled with that as well during my illness, and what I tried to do was make sure that I ate as much as I could- make sure you are eating snacks and some healthy meals throughout the day and drinking enough water so you don't get dehydrated. WHen I did not want to eat at all, I would pay attention to the foods I ate and made SURE that the foods I did manage to eat had lots of nutrients in them (apples with some peanut butter, oranges, carrots) or at least gave me some extra calories (cookies, cereal with milk).

- Muscle weighs more than fat cells, so if you can, do as much exercise that increases your flexibility, strength etc. I do yoga and pilates from a DVD, and I swim and tread water when I am feeling up to it. If you are not feeling physically able to do very much, start out as slow and as gentle as you can, and gently try to GRADUALLY increase your activity. When I started, I couldn't just move around in the pool for more than a couple of minutes! But i just made sure I showed up at the pool and at least got in and tried, even if all I ended up doing was soaking in the hot tub for a little while. :)

- Eat healthy! You are probably going to get more sick and feel worse by not getting adequate nutrients. Eating junk food will NOT help you feel better. I would suggest eating as many whole foods as possible (veggies, fruits, lean meats, nuts, whole grains and legumes- beans etc) and increase the calories you eat everyday which will help you gain weight. Indulge in fattier foods, but ones that have GOOD fats (no trans and low on saturated fat), you could eat chocolate, ice cream, peanut butter, natural oils (canola, olive oil etc), avocados, fish.

Eating healthy can be overwhelming, but I started simply by just trying to add healthy foods into my diet, and then slowly it became a habit and now I eat pretty darn healthy (and yummy foods! it's not about never eating rich foods, it's about making sure you are getting enough good for you ones! )

** You can do an internet search for "USDA food pyramid" or "MyPyramid.gov" and use that as a guideline for healthy eating. **

- Make sure you are getting enough vitamins and minerals- they will help you move, exercise, hurt less, sleep better, etc. You can do some research on your own, or talk to a licensed dietician or nutritionist to make sure you are getting enough of what your body needs (everyone varies on requirements based on weight, height, gender, age, activity level etc).

- Talk this over with a doctor or whoever you trust as your medical advisor. Ask what ideas they have and what they think would be a healthy goal for you.
  14. 69mach1

69mach1 New Member

get a trainer if youcan afford one...if you are not familair w/weight room...no carido for a while...you will burn calories weight training..and you burn enough already stressing it seems...

you need to go get some high protein bars or drinks...make malted shakes put a banaana, chocalate. peanut butter in it...

you really do not need to worry about the fat right now...build muscle and take what you get....you can have a diet higher in fats...just pick good fats for you just for your heart..

but free weights are my favorites...hammer strength...no cardio classes you will burn too many calories...

3 set of 6-8 reps of an exercise of free weights/machines...dumbells..and the heavier the better for you to build...

ymca has scholarships

jodie
  15. leomonkey

leomonkey Member

I use to have this problem of not being able to put on weight. If I was not careful, I could drop 10 pounds in a week. Part of it was my metabolism was so high that I burned a lot of "fuel". Also, I tended to eat predominantly carbs to "feed" my body quickly. This seems to be a tendency for people who have difficulty putting on weight.

Since then, I have learned a few tricks.

It may be worthwhile to audit your current diet. You should be taken a minimum of 1 gram of protein per pound of body weight (in your case, 2 may be better).

Carbs should make up 2-4 times your body weight in grams.

Protein bars and shakes are good for convenience but real foods are best. I can only speak for myself, but boost and similar type products would not help for me. There is a great deal of sugar in many of these products also.

Eating every 2 hours is a must!! I eat 5 to 6 small meals a day. For higher metabolisms it is necessary (as well as a good idea for everyone). Eat first thing in the morning!! I found at the beginning, this was hard, but I worked on this habit.

SparkPeople is a free diet tracking program. I like it because it tracks the number of grams of protein, fat and carbs you are eating on a daily basis. I recommend tracking your diet or, at the very least, investigating where you are currently.

I have strength trained for over 20 years. People are correct in saying that low reps will be more geared towards building muscle. However, if you are not fueling your body properly it simply will not happen. Without proper nutrition for building muscle, your body will divert resources and the protein you injest into keeping your body functioning, thus you will not put on lean muscle mass.

A few resources to look up on the internet include:
    Tom Venuto
    Lee Hayward
    Anthony Ellis

Hope this is helpful and good luck.
  16. Greenbean7

Greenbean7 New Member

You might try isometrics or resistance training. The toning bands, those giant rubber bands, are really good for that.

I use a bar with a rubber cord attached and do resistance work with that. Not that I don't need to lose weight, but I am more concerned with strength than weight.

I can give you the name of the bar exercise program, but I don't know if that is breaking the rules and I already did an oops once and don't want to risk getting banned!

Hugzz
    Greenbean
  17. futurehope

futurehope New Member

WOW!!

I got tons of responses and great ideas. I appreciate this very much!!

Now I will put each of them to work and see what helps me most without dumping weight off. Can't afford it.

Greenbean, I am sure I will be able to figure out what you are talking about with a little research.

Thanks again,
    Love and prayers,
    Brenda