OT: Anyone use saline nasal washes?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by claudiaw, Apr 20, 2006.

1. claudiaw

claudiaw New Member

Or neti pot's?

Everytime I use one I "burn" the roof of my mouth from the salt.

I try to hold my breath (with my tounge up against the roof of my mouth) but I alway's let some of the saline slip down my throat and irritate it.

Was hoping for some suggestion's.

Thanks,

Claudia
  2. Suze

Suze New Member

Are you using iodized salt? I was taught to use the uniodized kind. Also, I use slightly less than the 1/4 tsp. that was recommended for my large size neti pot. For the smaller size I use even less.

You should breathe through your mouth during the process.

Hope this helps.

Suze
  3. claudiaw

claudiaw New Member

Right now I'm using a spray.

When I breath through my mouth, my tounge releases from the roof of my mouth and that's when the solution drips down my throat.

Thanks for the response.

Claudia
  4. ellikers

ellikers New Member

It shouldn't burn your mouth, it's just salt water. When you eat salt does it burn your mouth?

I use a nasal rinse frequently, and my advice to you would be to vary the amount of salt you use and see if the feeling gets worse or better (then you will know whether to add more salt or decrease the amount you are using). I had to do that a couple of times to find the perfect amount of salt for me.

Hope that helps!
  5. FoggyDayz

FoggyDayz New Member

I have chronic sinus infections and it was recommended that I do saline nasal washes... what is a neti pot?

How do you get the solution into your sinuses?

Thanks for letting me butt into your post!
    FoggyDayz
  6. claudiaw

claudiaw New Member

I use a OTC saline product.

Salt usuually does not bother my mouth, but then again I don't eat much salty food.

I think when I use to eat chips it would burn on the sides of my lip's. You may have something there.:)

I may need to make my own, I'm just so tired and hurting I try to take short cut's were possible.:)

Thanks for the info.

Claudia
  7. Callum

Callum New Member

Is to blow up your cheeks and hold it while you flush the sinuses. It's helped me!
  8. claudiaw

claudiaw New Member

You can buy a neti pot in a health food store.

You fill it with warm ( not hot!:) water and some salt and gently pour it into a nostril. It will come pouring out of the other nostril.:) Sound's strange, but it is cleasning and ridding your sinuses of all the junk in there.

There are also saline spray's you can buy, where you squirt solution up nostril, hold it for 30 sec. or so ( directions differ product to product)and blow your nose.

That's what I was doing, but it is burning back of throat, maybe too srtong for me.

Here is another way to do it:

Mix 1/4 tsp. of baking soda

1/4 tsp. salt

8oz. warm water

Pour some of the mixture into the palm of your hand and sniff it up!

Then blow nostril.

I'm going to try this one.

Best wishes,

Claudia
  9. Cromwell

Cromwell New Member

hAVE A new aerosol spray that jets out a stream and I find it ever so good and easy to use without that burning.

Love Anne C
  10. starmom

starmom New Member

I absolutely LOVE the Sinus Rinse from NeilMed Pharm. I think some walgreens carry it now. I got mine from my allergist. He gave me "samples" - 1 bottle and 10 packets to mix up - for each member of the family, even one who was not a patient.

It is OTC. I don't buy the packages. I mix 1 Tablespoon baking powder and 3 Tablespoons salt in a container. Then I use 1/4 teaspoon in my 8oz bottle. You bend over and squeeze the bottle. Bottel is upright and water squirts up into sinuses.

If it burns at all you are NOT using the right water. It must be distilled water, warmed in the microwave toa bout the temp of a baby bottle. You can use 2x the amount hte salt mixture and it still doesn't burn, unless you use tap water.

Tap water or chlorinated water is what makes it burn. I think this is easier than a neti pot. you can google sinus rinse and find this. It is more than worth the price, and most allergists have samples.

Susie
  11. place

place New Member

This is the only thing that makes me feel better. I use a water pick and a nebulizer (spelling) with the salt water solution. I also just got a prescription for liquid mucus thinner. This really works well too. I mix them together. I can be dog tired and as soon as I get some infection out, my energy is though the roof!
  12. claudiaw

claudiaw New Member

wanted to make sure you saw I answered your question.:)

Claudia
  13. maggie_d

maggie_d New Member

My ENT recommended NeilMed Sinus Rinse and I have been using it for a year. I recommend it,as it really helps during allergy season.

Maggie
  14. claudiaw

claudiaw New Member

lot's of choices and gooddeas.

claudia
  15. Suze

Suze New Member

I just want to add that whatever is used to flush the sinuses, it's important not to blow your nose in the usual fashion afterward. Gross as it sounds, the best procedure is to blow it directly into the sink without blocking either nostril in any way. (Normally, when we blow our nose into a tissue, we create blockages that add to the force of the blow.) If you flush your sinuses and then blow your nose as usual, it will push the liquid into your ears--and that HURTS!

Suze
  16. kbak

kbak Member

Hi,
    The trick to using a netti pot, which I do, is to add a little sea salt and a little organic baking soda. That way you will have no sting. You'll be amazed how much better that is.

K.
  17. spiritsky

spiritsky Member

I use colloidal silver from a nasal spray bottle. Colloidal silver is a natural antibiotic. Works great with no side effects.
  18. claudiaw

claudiaw New Member

Great advice!

Thanks,
    Claudia
  19. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

The secret is to use a spray bottle or dropper. While spraying or squeezing the dropper, simultaneously tip your head forward so the saline goes into the frontal sinus passages while sniffing it up. Use more smaller squirts if it is running down your throat. Mix your own pure water and sea salt solution so that it isn't so irritating. Prepared sprays can contain irritating preservatives.

Love, Mikie

20. claudiaw

claudiaw New Member

Thanks for the advice!
    Claudia