OT: Are our FLORIDIANS ready for the STORM???MIKIE...Others

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by 1sweetie, Aug 28, 2006.

1. 1sweetie

1sweetie New Member

I just want to make sure that all of you in Florida are getting prepared for the storm. Remember to get your prescriptions filled along with all the other necessities.

I'm in NC and after watching the Weather Channel it appears to be heading your way and up the coast to us by weekend.

Hoping this one is not too bad!

[This Message was Edited on 08/28/2006]
    [This Message was Edited on 08/28/2006]
  2. Aeronsmom

Aeronsmom New Member

My thoughts and prayers are with you all.

Ann
  3. spacee

spacee Member

At one point it was going to come within 50 miles but now has changed but think it is changing again. We have a generator and new roof thanks to Hurricane Charley! I think they used stronger nails so it should last. I hope.

Hope everyone stays safe.

Spacee
  4. kriket

kriket New Member

I will be thinking of you all. Hopefully it will get weaker and not be too bad.

Kriket
  5. tata1580

tata1580 New Member

every one take care!!!

Tami
  6. BEARANDBUGSMOM

BEARANDBUGSMOM New Member

into Tampa!!! The local weatherman tonight said that he doesn't think it will re-intensify too much, and hopefully wont be too bad by the time it gets here just a lot of rain.

Hopefully that what will happen.

Thank you all for the support!!
    Kelly
  7. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

The whole southern part of the state is in Ernesto's track right now. Even if it veers a bit, we will all likely be hit with wind and rain. Also, it'll likely be back to a Cat. 1 hurricane by the time it gets to us.

I'm hunkerin' down.

Love, Mikie
  8. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

To get some rain from the outer bands as the storm approaches. The worse for us will likely be during the night and then in the morning when the winds off the bottom of the storm cause offshore winds. That's when flooding occurs on the coast on this side of the state.

I'll be happy if we just keep the power on. It's miserable down here without A/C.

Hope everyone stays safe and dry. Looks as though Ernesto is going to make people along the East Coast miserable all week.

Love, Mikie
  9. 1sweetie

1sweetie New Member

I'm glad to hear from you and that everything seems to have everything under control

spacee: My DH purchased added a generator to our home after we witnessed the lack of electricity after all the hurricanes and ice storms. I feel blessed.

The latest update said that N.C. may get the brunt of the storm...up to 7 inches of rain and 45 mile an hour winds. My DH is a partner in an insurance restoration business. They are busy preparing for the possible problems caused by falling trees and rain.

Keep us posted on how you fare with the storm!!!
  10. spacee

spacee Member

Oh, those trees in storms like these. I will be praying for you.

A week without electricity two years ago was enlightening. The entire town had to be rewired from the ground up. I can take cold baths but I can't wash my hair in cold water...yuk.

Ivan hit us in Central Florida, then went on up Alabama and knocked the power out at my son's school in Birmingham ...because of the trees. Closed the school. That is when the cafe closes and the Resident Advisors have to bring out the cold cuts for them to make sandwichs. That is their emergency plan. haha.

Hoping all goes well.

Spacee
  11. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Of course, I'm not complaining. We will be getting the worst of it later today as the lower outer bands of wind and rain come through but it's only gusts of about 40 mph and not even sustained wind. Of course, we could still lose power. All it takes is one old tree limb which breaks in the wind and falls across the power lines.

My concern now is for those in the Carolinas because Ernesto will leave land in FL and go out over open water before making landfall again. Perhaps the weather system which has been steering it eastward will just keep pushing it out to the Atlantic. I hope so.

Thanks to all here who expressed concern for us in the path and my prayers are with all who remain in the path. I hope Ernesto is as gentle with y'all as he was with us.

Love, Mikie
  12. 1sweetie

1sweetie New Member

I was watching the Weather Station this morning again to check on all of you and it does sound that this one was gentle with you. We will be positive that you WILL NOT lose power.

My DH just left to go to his office in Wilmington to make sure that they are prepared. At the present they are calling for 7"in. and for are we reside in at the present it's 4+ in. and 45 miles per hour winds. They are saying it may turn into a hurricane before it hit us.

I hate to see the devastation that Mother Nature brings but it is how we make our money. My husband says that we are helping people get their lives back together and he is right.

The devastation of a hurricane or a fire in your home or a car landing in your living room is devastating and no one can ever be prepared. It is amazing though how they can rebuild the businesses and homes. The company he is partnered with did part of the work last year for NASA in Florida after Katrina and they did the FBI & sections of the Hyatt Building in New Orleans (the one that they always show on TV where on the windows are blown out). It's strange the owners of the building spend millions and millions of dollars to fix that building and on the news last night they said they were going to demolish it. What a waste of money!

I'm glad that you are safe and remember us. We do need the rain though our area has been in a long period drought. I just hope it is slow and does not dump and cause flooding.

Take care!
  13. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

You are in my prayers. This storm is getting more and more disorganized so I'm hoping that it won't be able to strengthen out over the Atlantic.

I used to date a really nice man here in FL. He was from NC and raised his family in Wilmington. What a nice town. We stayed on the water at Carolina Beach one night and enjoyed it so much. We ate at a nice little restaurant on the river not far from the tug boat. His daughter was a waitress there when she was in school.

He moved to Myrtle Beach to be closer to his aging Mom and his kids. I didn't want to leave FL then. My Mom was still alive and loved it here. She was elderly and needed me nearby. He's remarried but calls me now and then to keep in touch. I keep in touch with his Mom who was very sweet to me. I think both our Moms and all our kids were hoping we would get married. That was before I got so sick and I'm glad I've been single through this struggle. But I digress...

Sorry, didn't mean to go off on a tangent. Hunker down, I don't think this strom is going to be a bad one. I hope not. Take care.

Love, Mikie
  14. luppyfm

luppyfm New Member

Hi. I live in St.Petersburg, FL. in a mobile home. My husband and I no longer take storm warnings lightly!! We had no damage in the previous storms, however, my inlaws live up by Panama City and they did get some last year! I hope you are well prepared as it seems to be getting closer to you today. I am one who believes in being ready for the worse and expectiong the best! Thanks for asking!!! I am new, I have lupus & Fibromyalgia. I always make sure to have my medication ready and anything else we need. My sister-in-law has a big house in a non-evacuation zone and we go stay with her.
    Good luck! Let me know how it turns out for you!
    Luppyfm
  15. 1sweetie

1sweetie New Member

I do like the Wilmington area. When I try to accompany my husband when he goes to that office, we stay at Wrightsville Beach. He fact, he is there now, and it looks as if the storm is going to hit about 30 miles south of him(per local news) and it will be barely hurricane force by the time it hits. He should see about 7 to 10 in.of rain. Locally we are under flash flood warnings and are getting rain bands now. I can believe he is setting in a room on the ocean front. I just pray he and our vehicle is safe.

I'm glad you stayed friends with your friend. I do understand what you are saying about being single with our diseases. There is a big plus for having someone to help, especially with the finances but you do not always get to put your needs first and you do feel guilty for not being the wife I was before. Our relationship has done a 360. It has been a challenge for both of us at times. Chronic illness is not easy especially when I have fought it so hard. You understand the sensory overload and how that alone plays such a part in every one's life.

I will lose use of my computer any time now. I have satellite Internet service and when it storms, I can not use the computer. I'm sure I will be fine but remember by DH in your prayers. We do need the rain but we can do without flooding and winds.

16. 1sweetie

1sweetie New Member

Welcome! I did not have time earlier to Welcome you properly to the board. I hope you found the threads that I bumped for you. It took me months before I knew how to use the board. I learned by trial and error...lots of errors.

I am glad that you have a safe place to go. Mobile homes are not safe in storms and there are so many in Florida. I love the St. Petersburg area. My husband had a business conference at one of the beaches (brain fog and can't think of which one) a few years ago and we love the area. The hotel was great with good food, service, spa, and everything would could possible ask for. It was especially nice when it does not cost you anything.

My DH was in your area again last year after one of the hurricanes. He had to stay quite a distance from the places that were so devastated. That time he was really working. He was checking on jobs on some of the islands. He was talking about how expensive the property was there and how much devastation there was.

The storm has continued to move and at my residence it will be mostly rain 2 to 4 in. much less than they were calling for yesterday but my DH is close to the eye of the storm and of course, I am worried. I will probably only lose my Internet service.

Again WELCOME!!!
  17. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

That beach was putting in the new pier and the pile drivers, which shook the earth, drove me nuts. We were offered a motel room for nearly nothing but I told Richard I couldn't take that pile driver. His wife recently sold her home there on the beach for some big bucks.

I love the Carolinas and GA, as well as FL. My kids in Atlanta had their roof damaged by Hurricane Ivan. I guess we love where we live and take our chances.

It didn't start to clear here til mid-day. We had horrible thunder and rain this morning. I'm glad to bid adios to Ernesto.

Love, Mikie
  18. 1sweetie

1sweetie New Member

Thanks for the prayers. You've been through this too. I am in the central part of the state yet we too can get serious effects from the storms.

Last winter we added a backup generator to our house. We can lose power due to winds, trees caused by ice or storms. Now we do not have to worry about the electricity and that is huge. Cold bath....I can't do it. I would have done better with a cold shampoo.!

19. 1sweetie

1sweetie New Member

I can't imagine that you would not enjoy the romantic sounds of a pile driver. LOL I can't imagine that now.

The property is rather pricey. My husband likes the area but with my not being able to "pull my weight" financially like before, I do not think we can purchase what we would like to have.

We would love to have you here. Did you get to visit our mountains? They are just as wonderful if not better than the beach.

20. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

We drove all over the place. Richard's Mom lives in Kings Mtn. His daughters live near Raleigh. The mountains were beautiful. Of course, we toured the Biltmore Estate. We also stopped in Charleston and Savannah on the way home. It is so sad that Atlanta was burned during the Civil War because I can only imagine how beautiful it must have been.

I'm from CO and the mountains we had there were quite different from the Blue Ridge mtns. Both are beautiful in their own way.

Love, Mikie