OT Are your furbies shedding alot? Update

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by ckball, Jul 8, 2006.

1. ckball

ckball New Member

I don't know if it is just mine or what. But I can brush them several times a day and get just as much fur as if they hadn't been brushed in days!

I use a stubby rubber tip brush and one for long coats for missy and my long haired cat.

They are outside/inside dogs and I found these wonderful fleece throws for my furniture. But I find myself wiping up the fur everytime they get down.

They see the vet and get all their shots and seem happy and healthy but the shedding is crazy - anyone else out there with the same problem. Carla
    [This Message was Edited on 07/12/2006]
  2. ckball

ckball New Member

I feed them mid price dog food, Ole Roys. You mentioned the supplements and it reminded me about the fish oil-fatty acid supps I had from giving it to my cat. He died in Mar and I stopped using it, I did give it to the dogs to. It is made by a vet and she sells it out of her clinic. Duh-fibrofog totally made me forget about that. Thanks for the kick start,lol

I use the slicker for my lab but she doesn't always like that one. Twila has a thin slick coat, but she is shedding too. I'm going to see where that bottle is right now!

Thanks, Carla

3. JLH

JLH New Member

By any chance do they have fleas? They will irritate their skin and cause them to scratch more and shed more.
  4. ckball

ckball New Member

Twila was a parvo pup at 16 weeks, she cam thru it and I make sure everything is always up to date. Thanks for your reply
  5. razorqueen

razorqueen Member

no shedding problems here!
  6. lenasvn

lenasvn New Member

Shedding may be a sign of vitamin deficiency. Maybe try a different diet, or get vitamin supplements?

I've seen a TV commercial for pet food somewhere, and it said shedding like this should not be the norm.
  7. ckball

ckball New Member

Twila is due for her annual shots. They did this in April, shedded really bad for about a week, then stopped until now.

I haven't changed anything. I didn't find my fatty acid supps, I think I used the last of it when my poor kitty passed. He was 15 and had feline aids for 13 of those years. The supps really helped him, he would get skin allergies and I would give him the supps and he always improved.

Thanks for your input. I wouldn't take anything for "my girls" but this fur thing is really get to me. Carla
  8. Mar19

Mar19 New Member

My medium hair black cat is shedding like crazy. She sort of reminds me of the drawing of "Pigpen" in the old Charlie Brown comic strips, except instead of dust and dirt clouding around her as she walks, it's hair! ::eek::

I use a mitt that has nubby bristles on it to brush her. She'll usually sit on my lap for a half hour and let me "pet" her with it; each time I collect enough loose hair to make another kitten or two. LOL

I've noticed during these times that her skin is very dry and flaky (plus it is that wonder shedding time of year).

I switched to Hill's Science Diet for Sensitive Stomachs for her when she was having tummy upset a lot. That was almost a year ago. It worked wonderfully, she loves it and her tummy hardly ever bothers her anymore.

It was time to buy dry food again yesterday, so I bought one bag for Sensitive Stomachs and got a second bag of Hill's Science Diet for Sensitive Skin and mixed them both together.

Hopefully it will help her dry, flaky skin as much as the other formula helped her poor tummy. She likes it a lot, at any rate. I'll post in a couple of weeks and tell you if it's made any difference with her skin problems.

mar
  9. catmom50

catmom50 New Member

We went for a ride to the Hood River (Oregon) yesterday to go on the "fruit loop" tour for cherries and berries.The car was a mess where our dog, Doo, sat. I was out this morning vacuuming. She takes a vitamin supplement from 1-800-pet meds, called "Shed No More" and it works very good, except this time of year when she is "blowing her coat".

The cats seem to be doing better, not as much shedding as a few weeks ago.

We are having our "summer" right now, (mid July to mid August), so it is to be expected that the animals shed. Hubby is trying to brush her more than usual too.
  10. ckball

ckball New Member

He said it is normal shedding. Their skin and coat are very healthy.

He suggested a bath to "blow their coat out", I bath them at least one a week but last night I was very rigorous.

I started outside, they love "back scratch" they put thier paws on my lap and I hug them and really dig in and scratch their back from the neck to the tail.

Talk about the fur flying,lol. Then I brushed them good. Then off to the bath. I recently had a double bowl deep utility sink put in my studio. It is so much easier than bending over the tub.

I use a sprayer attachment on the faucet. It has small teeth so it helps getting all the loose hairs rinsed off after the shampoo.

I scubbed and massaged them again in the sink. I had so much hair in the sink I had to clean the drain out 4 times!

Anyway, it did make a difference. No big time shedding today. I hope all of you get thru this shedding season soon. Carla
  11. Greenbean7

Greenbean7 New Member

You could build several small dogs from the hair I am swiffering up everyday right now!

My lab loves the shedding blade and I use a brush and a wide tooth rake on the golden. I find that these work pretty good, but the golden really needs done every other day or so and I don't have energy! He also loves to be vacuumed so we do that with the shop vac, especially after he's been brushed and the hair is loose.

I understand that most dogs, labs especially, have a coat "turn" several times a year. At least twice, spring and fall. The golden's hair doesn't show unless the sun hits the floor just right, but the labs black hair catches in the golden's hair and makes waves around the edges of the floors.

I don't even want to know how much hair is in the carpets!!

We feed Flint River Ranch and pay about 60 dollars for 40 lbs. It's expensive, but the dogs do really well on it and their coats are shinny and healthy. Labs have notoriously dry skin and Aster doesn't have that problem since we started feeding this about 3 years ago.

Hugzz to everyone's fur babies!

Greenbean