OT BACK SURGERY with rods and pins put in?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by fibrobutterfly, Sep 12, 2006.

1. I might need low back surgery with those rods put in, has anyone had any luck with them? Did it help the pain? Was it horribly painful?
  2. lin123

lin123 New Member

I had back surgery done in 2005. I had 4 plates,2rods,8 screws,vertibrae fused front and back with bone graft from my hip and disc removed. At first I was in less pain then about 3 months after surgery the pain in ceased. They did another MRI and found out that I have scar tissue around the S1 nerve root and it's more painful then before the surgery. They say there's nothing they can do about the scar tissue, it was caused from the back surgery. Now I have to take higher mg. of Morphine and more medicine then before.
    Don't mean to scare you but just letting you know what I've went through. I also have Spinal Stenosis, Serve Degenerative Disc Disease and Arthrtis of the joints.
    Please make sure you check out all everything before you decide to have it done. They said my was failed surgery.
  3. also did you have pain going down your leg? Right now I don't and they say its more successful surgery if you do.
  4. Lumare41

Lumare41 New Member

I am going in next wednesday for spinal surgery.They will remove the L5 disc,pull my vertebrae that slipped forward and put in 2rods and 4screws to hold it.They are also putting in 2longer rods and 4 screws to anchor it to the veterbrae on top.They also have to cut the tops of my tailbone off,because it overgrew to compensate for the slippage.

They will use the bone they cut off to fill the cage that they replace for the L5 disc.needless to say I am getting extremely anxious as the days count down.My surgeon told me it will be very painful.I will also have to wear a brace for 6months.

I would definitely make sure there is no other options.I have to have it because my spine is unstable.

Good Luck,I will try to get online after I come home,I am trying to borrow a laptop.
    Please keep me in your prayers.
    Luann

5. paige51

paige51 New Member

I had back surgery in may 2003. It was the most painful thing i have ever been through. Do not mean to scare you. It depends on the person and how bad your condition is. I just waited to long and irreversible damage was already done.

The pain I felt before the surgery is comming back, sometimes it feels worse than before I had the surgery.

Hope you do well. I was at the point that I could not walk, so something had to be done.

Best to you,
    paige51
  6. PianoGirl

PianoGirl New Member

First off, I'm sorry to hear that you may need the low back surgery.

I had my first back surgery in Sept. 2001. I had 4 titanium cages put in between L4-L5 and L5-S1 and fusion done. I had tremendous pain in my left buttock and down my left leg. I had the bone harvested from my left hip to fill in the bone grafts for the fusion. After the surgery I developed some of the worse pain i could ever imagine, my left leg and foot hurt so bad that i actually sat for HOURS with my foot in ice water to relieve the pain. I have a 15 inch scar on my belly and an 8 inch scar on my hip from this surgery. Unfortunately this was the surgery from hell.

I went for 18 months in this pain, trying to find any solution to feel better, i begged my doctor for therapy or pain meds or anything to help and all he said was, "i have done my job, now it's all in your head"........GRRRRRR, believe me, he was not on my favorite person list.

I moved from that area and found a pain management doctor who put me in touch with an orthopedic surgeon from baltimore, md. They did tests and an MRI and found out that the original doctor had implanted the cages incorrectly and had actually impinged a nerve in the cage when they screwed it into my disk area. So, needless to say, I had a second surgery in April of 2003. He burred down the part of the cage that was impinging the nerves, implanted two rods, two plates and 5 screws to stablize the spine since it never healed right after the first surgery. This time I had posterior surgery, i have a 6 inch cut on my back and that is all. I healed so much better after this one. For the most part, I have minimal pain in my back and the sciatica nerve. Unfortunately because of the first doctor's screw up, i have permanent painful nerve damage in my left leg that will never go away.

I'm not trying to scare you, i'm just trying to tell you my experience with the surgeries. My suggestion is do as much research on your doctor as possible. Look him up on the internet and see if he has any malpractice suits agains him. I found out too late that my first surgeon had many cases against him, I don't even know how he was in practice at the time.

If you do have to have the surgery, please try to have them do it thru your back. If i had it to do all over again, i would have NEVER let them butcher me like they did the first time.

Also, also if they are going to use bone graft from your own body or a cadaver bone. The reason they use your own if they can is because it is less likely to be rejected than donated bone.

Expect to have a while to recover. I wore a hard turtle shell like brace for 3 months after my first surgery and 5 months after my second surgery. I walked with a walker and cane, but now i don't use any of that.

If you are uncomfortable with your doctor, go to another one. They may be able to find different options for you. If your gut feeling tells you to beware, then go with that feeling. This is YOUR body and you MUST be comfortable with your surgeon.

If they are going to use cages, make sure they are not the BAK ones, there are tons of class action suits out there against them.

Ask your doctor if you will be receiving physical therapy after you begin to heal. This is a vital part of your recovery.

I wish you all the luck in the world for all of this. Like I said, I'm sorry if i freaked you out about the first surgery but my miracle came thru with the second doctor.

Let us know what is happening.

{{{{{{{{{{gentle hugs}}}}}}}}}}
    Lis
  7. I will really think seriously before I do anything. Back surgery is a big thing to have done.

Luann good luck with your surgery, let us know how you do when you can.
  8. Lumare41

Lumare41 New Member

I am too having postieior surgery and my own bone is being used.I was lucky in a way that I don't need hip or thigh bone.
    Thank you for your insight!I do feel goood about my surgeon she did my neck fusion and I haven't have problems since.

Fibrobutterfly,Thank You.
    I will try to keep you updated.