OT: Be a Volunteer Literacy Tutor

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by LittleBluestem, Sep 15, 2005.

1. LittleBluestem

LittleBluestem New Member

Last week, I saw a notice in the paper that the local Community College was holding an informational tea for potential volunteer literacy tutors. I decided to volunteer (hoping that it would be an advantage if the CC ever had a paid position open). The other volunteer was a retiree with back problems, so robust health is not a requirement. I encourage anyone with sufficient time and energy to check if your community needs literacy tutors. Your local community college, library, Secretary of State’s office or high school would be likely places to know.

My community’s literacy program is affiliated with ProLiteracy Worldwide. I assume any affiliated program would be similar.

The requirements are:
    have a high-school diploma or GED
    complete the training program
    volunteer at least one hour per week
    report your hours monthly

You get to specify:
    what hours you are available
    what subject(s) you are willing to tutor
    whether you will be a classroom assistant, small group (book club) leader and/or one-on-one tutor
    what gender(s) you will tutor
    whether you will tutor smokers and/or non-smokers

All training and materials are provided free of charge. There are people available to provide additional advice & support, as needed. The only thing it will cost you is transportation expense. (I live within walking distance).
  2. Shannonsparkles

Shannonsparkles New Member

Hope it goes well littleblue. kids are great! :)
  3. LittleBluestem

LittleBluestem New Member

Both the literacy and health of children is closely correlated to the literacy of their parents (particularly their mother). Helping adults learn to read (most or our clients are women) can have a big impact on the well-being of their family and, ultimately, the community.

Perhaps I should add that, in my community, the tutoring is done in a public place. You do not have to worry about cleaning your house, letting someone you do not know well into your house, or going into the less-than-safe neighborhoods where some of the clients live. Confidentiality of both student and tutor are maintained by the program. If messages need to be exchanged, it is done through the program director. The student and tutor may exchange personal information, if they so choose.

“Adult”, for the purposes of this program, is anyone over 16 and not in public school. My student can’t be much over that. She is a very sweet and hard-working girl who was home-schooled due to then undiagnosed health problems. I’m sure her mother meant well, but was not up to the task.