OT - beads - if you like to do beading . . .

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by onedaymagpie, Jun 17, 2006.

1. onedaymagpie

onedaymagpie New Member

For those of you who like to do beading - I know I do -- I just got a catelog from "oriental training" that had some great prices. They, of course, have a website. And I also wonder what sources you other beaders use??
    cheers,
    Maggy
    [This Message was Edited on 06/17/2006]
  2. reckabek

reckabek New Member

Im sure u have heard of fire mountian gems??? they have a website too, and cheap, with deals all the time...just in case u havent heard. But thats for your catelog idea. Do u find u hurt worse beading? I find it is like therapy but man my neck and back..UGGG... thanks again, beck
  3. onedaymagpie

onedaymagpie New Member

Yes, I love fire mountain, too. I have to take big breaks with the beading, just like you said, the neck and back. But at the same time, it is very therapeutic and relaxing, so I think it helps with stress -- Thanks for your reply!
  4. I would love to get into beading, but have no clue on how to start?
  5. reckabek

reckabek New Member

I got started and had absolutly no clue, no friends and no classes...so what i did, is i went up to Joannes fabrics, signed up for a jewelry making basics class...but w/ some jewelry i was interested in...they gave me a HUGE list of crap to get, w/ a discount price, i got everything on the list, plus xtras...got the discount right. I took the class...learned, played around....eventually hated the stuff i originally made, and found my own style.....so the moral to MY story is, DONT SPEND A WHOLE BUNCH OF MONEY up front. learn the basics first, get to know your "style" then spend the money on good stuff....then wear and advertize that way...i love giving stuff out for gifts...thats what i would do...cause what looks so pretty for beads at first, ends up being not so pretty...once i got used to them and the different things out there. but if u do go spend mucho money, the good thing is u can always REBEAD....hehe...well best to ya, beck
  6. onedaymagpie

onedaymagpie New Member

I got hooked a few years back when a friend of mine gave me a bead bracelette she made for me. When I would have a tough day in front of me, I would smile to myself and wear that bracelette, knowing that she would be with me.

If your check out fire mountain or the oriental trading, they will have starter ideas - but it can be overwhelming with all the options they have. I just think it is fun to be creative and have a good time wiht it
    Maggy
  7. onedaymagpie

onedaymagpie New Member

Yes, I know just what you mean. I find I need a supply of beads so I can create just what I want. Do you sell any of your work?
  8. atiledsner

atiledsner New Member

BEADS? I GOT SOME FROM AFRICA. IF I CAN EVER UNPACK MY CAMERA I WILL UPLOAD SOME PICTURES.

THERE USED TO BE SOMEONE ON HERE CALLED BEADLADY I DON'T KNOW IF THAT WAS JUST HER NAME OR IF SHE DID BEADWORK.MIGHT CHECK IN ON THIS.
  9. onedaymagpie

onedaymagpie New Member

Atiledsner - wow, I dont know those beads, but would love to see them or other photos. It is so fun to get idesas.

Katemac - yes, insurance - I wish my DH would be so willing to recognize the value of my beads - lol.

Pls do tell if you post photos - I will try as well, but things are a tad busy at present.
  10. stagename

stagename New Member

you need to raise your work surface or lower your chair so that you can work without your chin on your chest. armrests help with this. because an hour can go so quickly when you're stringing seed beads, it's worth it to get in the right position first.

~~so many beads, so little time~~
    ~~will work for beads~~
    ~~i bead, therefore i am~~
    ~~eat, sleep, bead~~
  11. thirkmom

thirkmom New Member

I started beading to take my mind off of the pain and it actually helps. Now the pain is in my checkbook. It's really been a lot of fun.

Buying beads at the craft stores is very expensive so I startd going to Bead Shows. You can get fantastic deals and you don't have to pay shipping. In the craft stores they either sell pre packaged beads or they sell them individually. I can usually get a 16" to 18" strand of beads for around 3.00 (glass). You can go online and type in bead shows and you can find ones coming to your area. Have fun! LuAnn
  12. reckabek

reckabek New Member

I am pretty new, so I havent sold much, but I love to use silver, tourquis and coral...those teally get peoples attention. I did sell a set of that and another set, the rest i gave as gifts... I need to seel more, cause seeming i have expensive taste, i cannot afford to buy more beads to make more sets....UGGG...i need a job...owell....at least i have nice jewelry...thanks for asking tho...beck
  13. onedaymagpie

onedaymagpie New Member

Stage - yes, thanks for pointing that out, I need to work on making sure I am ergonom. Although I must confess, "chair" is really not the operative word - more like "bed" . . .

Thirk - I have never heard of bead shows. thanks for that info - It's just all beads? How cool it that? I look around a little on the net, but was not finding anything quickly on upcoming shows. Are there any specific organizations names they are tied to?? Thanks, Maggy

Beck - I totally relate. I have just been doing the gift thing, but thought that maybe I could have some local boutiques or hotel show them and sell them on consignment to recoup a little of the cost . . . yikes

Dancin' - what is wire wrap?

14. thirkmom

thirkmom New Member

Go to firemountain.com and they have an events calendar. You type in your zip code and the mileage you're willing to travel and they will tell you what bead shows will be in your area. Here in Utah, Gemfaire comes to Utah 4 times a year.

At the shows there are dealers who sell different beads, pearls, crystals, lampwork, tools, books, chain, etc. Anything you could ever want. It's also a good way to keep up with what's new. Usually before they come to town you can find coupons in your local paper for free admission or you can get on the mailing list and they'll send you an invitation with a free admission. Check into it. It's really fun. LuAnn