OT Before you learned computer use, how did

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Bambi, Jul 8, 2006.

1. Bambi

Bambi New Member

you get trained? I have barely touched one at my daughter's and she had to keep telling me over and over what to do. I want to get one but need someone to teach me that is extremely patient and willing to repeat repeat repeat.

Once I get a machine down I'm fine but machines and me have NEVER mixed. I still have a sewing machine in the box my mom bought me a few years before she died in 1990..never could get it threaded and set up on a consistant basis, got fed up and quit.

Think a student would be a good source?
  2. ilovecats94

ilovecats94 New Member

I had my son teach me how to copy and paste and a friend teach me how to put on a floppy and take off of a floppy disk.

Basically I have just learned the rest myself and by hints from others. I'm just a natural on computers and have been online since 3/97.

Think I got my first 386 in 1991. Wasn't online then and didn't know much about DOS which I hated. Also hated Win 3.1. Went online when there was Win 95 and now have been on Macs since 2003.

I see that Video Professor is on TV who sells CD's on how to do certain computer programs. You may want to try that.

Good luck!

Hugs,
    Faye
  3. Bambi

Bambi New Member

that as he is now sending one on Ebay and I'm wanting to start selling a few things on there for some extra
    moola. Good idea! Bambi
  4. caffeinenut

caffeinenut New Member

Check your local library. They often offer free classes. :)
  5. shootingstar

shootingstar New Member

in my area sometimes has non-credit classes for people who want to learn computer basics at a very nominal cost. You might look into that. Or you might ask at a computer shop what might be available in your area.
  6. libra55

libra55 New Member

I took several courses at our local vocational high school. They give them at night. Excellent way to learn. Not too expensive either.

Michelle
  7. lovethesun

lovethesun New Member

I'm like Faye,it's always come easy for me,though I couldn't afford one until a couple of years ago.Where were you born in West Virginia? My husband was born there too!Linda
  8. place

place New Member

as using the computer for a purpose.

My mom, had never touched a computer, had no Idea how to turn it.
    Being married to my dad (a computer/engr.) it was an oddity.

By friends, she was forced to get an email address and eventually a laptop.

She loves email and it has forced her through trial and error to learn how to work it.

The other thing, she got an Apple computer which is so easy to use.

I have learned all of my database work though some college computer course work and trial and error in working toward a computer project such as web pages/ databases/spreed sheet.

Good Luck
  9. Juloo

Juloo Member

I agree that using the computer for a specific thing would be good. After that, depending on how much of a self-starter you are, why not a non-credit course if a local community college offers it?

I'm of the age to be right in the gap as far as computer use goes. I can remember when Pong was first set up at our local small-town store. I can remember being in 8th grade and the first senior in our school bought a calculator (and all it did was four functions!). Mine was the first high school physics class in our history to have coursework in BASIC programming rather than slide rule use. And at college, one of my classes shared 6 work stations (Apples!). And text games -- anyone remember them? All my drafting and design classes were by hand. My husband and I had to do tech. school classes after grad school to learn AutoCAD.

I've been online since late '96 or early '97, and my laptop is completely MINE (meaning I do all the tweaking and don't make my husband or brother-in-law do it). I've made myself learn how to take care of it, but it has taken some work!

I've been very lucky with Google and tech-support boards. Fortunately I've found answers to a lot of questions on my own. The last time my laptop crashed, I fixed it on my own. So don't give up, it's possible to learn!
  10. rockgor

rockgor Well-Known Member

who has been using a computer at work for many years told me, "The computer/internet is so vast and complicated and intricate that no one could ever understand it all. And you don't have to.

Just learn a little bit at a time.

I used a computer for work for 3 months. The only thing I knew how to do was to type up reports and print them out.

Then I learned how to play bridge on the computer.

A few months later I learned how to look up topics on the internet. And most recently I learned how to cut and paste.

I got a book from the library, but frankly couldn't understand it. My partner tells me some stuff. If he doesn't know he asks a friend or the tech person at his office.

It was easy since I didn't try and learn everything at once.

Good luck.