OT Benjamin Hendrickson (HAL on As the world turns soap) died

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by fibrobutterfly, Jul 8, 2006.

1. I was shocked to read this in the newspaper this morning! He was only 55. His mother died three yrs ago, and now he was playing such a sad storyline with his daughter dying on the show. He seemed like he was such a kind man.

Soap Actor's Death Ruled Suicide
    'As The World Turns' Star Ben Hendrickson, 55, Died From Gunshot

NEW YORK, July 8, 2006

Actor Ben Hendrickson (Procter & Gamble)

Hendrickson's last air date on "As The World Turns" will be July 12, 2006. The program airs on CBS.

(CBS) Actor Ben Hendrickson, who starred on the daytime drama "As The World Turns" for more than 20 years, committed suicide this week with a gunshot to the head at his home in Huntington, N.Y., police said.

After calls from neighbors, Suffolk County police officers found Hendrickson dead in his bed on Monday.

CBS and Procter & Gamble Productions announced Hendrickson's death in a joint statement Wednesday, but did not reveal any details at the time.

Hendrickson, 55, won the Daytime Emmy Award for Outstanding Supporting Actor in 2003 for his portrayal of Chief of Detectives Hal Munson on the show.

In addition to his work on daytime television, Hendrickson appeared on Broadway in the 1984 revival of "Awake and Sing," "Strider" and in the title role of "The Elephant Man." His film credits include "Spanking the Monkey," "Regarding Henry," "Consenting Adults" and "Manhunter."

When he first joined "As The World Turns" in 1985, Hendrickson thought he'd only be there for a short time. "Benjamin always joked that he was hired for one day — then before he knew it he'd impregnated the leading lady and had to sign a contract," said Christopher Goutman, the show's executive producer. "He intended to stay with the show for one year. How lucky for us and the fans that we had him for 21 years. We will continue to mourn his passing."

Hendrickson was born Aug. 26, 1950, in Huntington, N.Y. He attended the Juilliard School where he was a member of the first class of the drama division, that included actors Kevin Kline and Patti LuPone. Hendrickson was also a founding member of The Acting Company, under the late John Houseman.

His last air date on "As The World Turns" will be on July 12, 2006. The program airs on CBS (which also owns TheShowbuzz.com).

By Judy Faber

[This Message was Edited on 07/08/2006]
  2. caffeinenut

caffeinenut New Member

I sat down and caught the end of As The World Turns for the first time in months Thursday. It was of course the scene where his daughter was dying. Then the next show that came on told of his death. I was absolutely in shock. I have watched him since he first came on the show in 1985. He had such kind eyes you couldn't help but love him. I guess you just don't ever know what pain someone who seems to have everything feels. :(

Susan
  3. keke466

keke466 New Member

How sad. I love that show. Have watched it since I was a kid,my Granny watched it. He left the show for awhile here while back and when he came back he looked so haggard. He looked as if he might be sick. I hate to hear he died like that. Something must have been troubling him for sometime. He'll be missed I'm sure.

Keke
  4. meowee

meowee New Member

I have watched ATWT since I was a baby. It was my mom's show and naturally I got hooked, too. I really liked Hal and I am so sorry this happened. He seemed like such a nice guy.

R.I.P. Benjamin
  5. I was so shocked as my daughter got me hooked on it, I hadn't watched it for years. But I was shocked when I saw his photo and article of his death as I had just watched him in the show on Fri.
    I wondered where he went when he was gone so long, evidentally he took time off to take care of his ailing mother, then she passed away. He did look terrible after he came back, I thought he had been ill himself. He had aged alot.I always thought he was a good actor.