OT Book Club Members: Game Question on STANDING IN THE RAINBOW

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by kholmes, Jul 10, 2006.

1. kholmes

kholmes New Member

As you'll recall, our book for July is STANDING IN THE RAINBOW, by Fannie Flagg. I hope you all have gotten your copy and have started it! It starts a bit slowly, but I'm becoming totally engrossed with all of the characters and events in this small Missouri town. Flagg is a natural storyteller.

POP QUIZ QUESTION: When the Oatmans, a family of gospel singers, comes to town, their peculiar daughter, Betty Rae, stays at the Smith's house. What is it that the Smiths don't know about her week long stay with them?

The first person to answer correctly wins a whole day, pain and symptom free (well, we can all wish, can't we?).

Kholmes
    [This Message was Edited on 07/10/2006]
  2. Cromwell

Cromwell New Member

I still have to get the book....so there goes my pain free day. Yikes. Anne C Will get into town and get it tomorrow for sure...
  3. 2BDreamer

2BDreamer New Member

She had never in her life stayed in a place so nice. Kind of makes me feel sorry for her. If this is what you were looking for, pass the pain free day to the next one who answers because I have had 2 weeks of no pain and I'm so happy...
  4. TwinMa

TwinMa New Member

I've been very excited to read "Standing in the Rainbow". I love Fannie Flagg.

I put the audio book on hold at the library, and I picked it up yesterday. Oh boy, Oh boy! I love Fannie Flagg!

I'm going out of town this weekend, so I've been looking at portable CD players to be able to listen to it on the plane. I've got some good leads.

All sounds pretty together, right? Wrong!

After I just now read your post, I realized "Hey, I already read this book!!" Doh!!!! I KNOW the Oatman's! I KNOW Betty Rae! Doh!!!

BTW, it's a good book.....if I remember correctly.

The good part is that I still have time to go to the library and get another audio book before I leave. Let's just hope I pick one I haven't actually read....
  5. kholmes

kholmes New Member

Congrats, 2BDreamer: That's it! You're on the ball. I really liked that short chapter describing how everyone thought she was so weird and antisocial, but for Betty Rae, her time at the Smiths' was probably the best week of her life. And congrats on being pain free for a while, too. What page are you on? Or have you finished it already?

Anne Cromwell: Glad you're reading this book. I think you'll like it.

TwinMa: D'OH! That is pretty bad brain fog! But you know what? I've spaced reading whole books, too. It's like Yogi Berra says, "It's deja vu all over again."

Kholmes
  6. kholmes

kholmes New Member

May's book was CURIOUS INCIDENT OF THE DOG IN THE NIGHT-TIME. June's was TRUE BELIEVER, by Nicolas Sparks (which hardly anybody read).

We're starting to post on STANDING IN THE RAINBOW on the 25th, but I decided to post a few pop quizzes beforehand, just for fun.

Kholmes
    [This Message was Edited on 07/10/2006]
  7. 2BDreamer

2BDreamer New Member

I just finished reading that chapter last night, my luck. Told my husband I won the quiz and he asked if I won a million dollars. I just love to read so your book club idea is great!!
  8. 2BDreamer

2BDreamer New Member

I just finished reading this book last week;

Marley & me : life and love with the world's worst dog
    Grogan, John, 1957-
    Review
    Labrador retrievers are generally considered even-tempered, calm and reliable;and then there's Marley, the subject of this delightful tribute to one Lab who doesn't fit the mold. Grogan, a columnist for the Philadelphia Inquirer, and his wife, Jenny, were newly married and living in West Palm Beach when they decided that owning a dog would give them a foretaste of the parenthood they anticipated. Marley was a sweet, affectionate puppy who grew into a lovably naughty, hyperactive dog. With a light touch, the author details how Marley was kicked out of obedience school after humiliating his instructor (whom Grogan calls Miss Dominatrix) and swallowed an 18-karat solid gold necklace (Grogan describes his gross but hilarious "recovery operation"). With the arrival of children in the family, Marley became so incorrigible that Jenny, stressed out by a new baby, ordered her husband to get rid of him; she eventually recovered her equilibrium and relented. Grogan's chronicle of the adventures parents and children (eventually three) enjoyed with the overly energetic but endearing dog is delivered with great humor. Dog lovers will love this account of Grogan's much loved canine.

One of the best I have read in some time, I laughed and cried, what a book. You might waht to add it to our list.
  9. kholmes

kholmes New Member

Wish I could offer you the million dollar prize. Good timing on just finishing the "What They Didn't Know" chapter.

I had heard great things about MARLEY AND ME before.
    Thanks for the recommendation.

Kholmes
  10. rockgor

rockgor Well-Known Member

in fact nobody knows, is that timid Betty Rae has been transplanted into a family of colorful extroverts by accident.

This book reminds me of one Garrison Keillor wrote some years ago about a local radio station. Can't remember the title. Something like "Station ____". Forgot the call letters.

I'm off to the dentist. Maybe it will come to while I'm "relaxing" in the contour chair.

11. kholmes

kholmes New Member

So Betty Rae was switched at birth! I just read that little bit of information this morning, so your post wasn't a spoiler.

I like the line about the real Betty Rae:
    "Of course, her parents adored her, but secretly they wondered why, when her mother had been so tall and slim and graceful, each time Carolina practiced her debutante curtsy to the floor she always fell over on her side in a lump."

This book makes me nostalgic for the forties, even if I never lived during them.

Let us know if you thought of the title of the Keillor novel while rinsing and spitting.

Kholmes
    [This Message was Edited on 07/11/2006]
  12. rockgor

rockgor Well-Known Member

and all you listeners out there in radio land.

I have just returned from the dentist lighter by one tooth and $235. I took an old pain pill I found in a bottle dated 2002 and am washing it down w/ a medicinal beverage, rum and coke.

This reminds us all of the 40's hit by the same name as rendered by the Andrew Sisters.

My dentist is Caitlin Popescu from Rumania. Gordon likes to say he specializes in stainless steel teeth. Haha (Gordon is my better other or significant half.)

No, I didn't think of the name, but I looked it up. Oh shoot! I forgot it again. Well, it's something like "WLT: A Radio Romance". I've read all of Garrison's books. This is my favorite.

I was born in 1940 and remember radio shows as described in the book. Also remember the day my father went off to WWII. Also remember the day he came home. He brought me a cap pistol. The first one ever in our Minnesota village.

[This Message was Edited on 07/11/2006]