OT: Can Probiotics be taken w/Doxycycline?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by claudiaw, Mar 15, 2006.

1. claudiaw

claudiaw New Member

I always give anti-biotics and probiotics together, but I read somewhere that the probiotics cancel out the doxy.
    Anyone know if that is correct or not?
    I was told no dairy w/doxy as the calcium binds to the doxy making it less effective.
    Thanks in advance for the info.
    (Just so you know this is for my dog not me!:)

Claudia
  2. claudiaw

claudiaw New Member

I usually put plain yogurt on top of thier food, but vet said no calcium with the doxy.
    All his lymph nodes were swollen, he had been on another anti-biotic for a toe infection, and he either had a bad reaction to the anti-biotic or it wasn't the right kind and the infection spread.
    Anyway the doxy seem's to be workng, and I want to replace the good 'bugs" so he desn't end up with tummy trouble.
    But I want to make sure i don't nulify the doxy.
    Thanks for the help.
    Claudia
  3. sofy

sofy New Member

but my doc says the minerals (calcium & magnesium) need to be 2-3 hours away from the doxy. I take the cal/mag in the middle of the day and at bedtime at least 3 hrs on either side of the antibiotic.

The probiotics I take 2 hrs of either side of the antibiotic and food.

I have to write it all out and then use the timer all day long.
  4. claudiaw

claudiaw New Member

thanks for the info.
    claudia
  5. pawprints

pawprints New Member

I gave her the abx for the 7-10 days and then followed up with the probiotics for several weeks. I just put it in her bowl between meals and she loved it.

6. claudiaw

claudiaw New Member

That's exactly what I plan to do.
    This is the sweetest dog, but he always has something wrong!
    I feed him organic dog food with vitamin supplement, you'd think he would be in great health.
    I always seem to get animals with weird problems.
    My vet say's God sends them to me, because he know's i'll take care of them.:)
    Great. I want problem free, healthy animals for a change, I have enough going on with me.:)
    Anyway thanks for the info.
    Claudia