OT Carbohydrate Cravings

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by shootingstar, Sep 18, 2006.

1. shootingstar

shootingstar New Member

I've had a long history of battling weight gain, and could never figure out what was setting me off on binges. Something that is really helping me is eliminating any bread with yeast in it from my diet. I am doing a few other things like avoiding trans-fats, trying to include lots of vegetables and fruits etc., but eliminating any bread with yeast is the one thing that seems to have contributed very noticeably to minimizing cravings and out-of-control appetite.

I have also found that I never wanted to drink plain water -- nearly always preferred something sugary -- and had to force myself to drink water. Since switching to pita bread, flat breads, some pasta, occasional potatos vs. leavened breads, I want to drink water again.

One other change I have made is to use hummus with garlic and other seasonings (make it myself in a blender and keep in fridge) in place of mayonnaise. I'm not sure if that helps or not, but it's a healthy alternative -- contains garlic, plain yogurt, lemon, cumin, a little olive oil, chick peas etc.

Don't know if this will help anyone else or not, but it has been an easy change to incorporate in my diet and is helping a lot here. A part of the puzzle for me, and hope it continues to work.
    [This Message was Edited on 09/18/2006]
  2. hermitlady

hermitlady Member

I did a strict anti yeast diet and was treated w Nystatin for Candida for a couple of months. I am not as strict now, but try to avoid sugar and yeast most of the time.
    You are right, I lost 15 lbs without much trouble and my cravings for sweets is way down. I was a sugar addict for sure, but not so much anymore. Keeps your blood sugar on a more even keel too, so you don't get so hungry I think.

Unfortunately, the FM/CFS didn't improve, but at least I'm eating healthier and have lost some weight. Good luck to you.

Hermit

PS...I found this to be a life saver: Plain organic yogurt mixed w vanilla, stevia for sweetner, blueberries and sliced almonds. It is so good and satisfying....I sound like a commercial! LOL[This Message was Edited on 09/18/2006]
  3. NyroFan

NyroFan New Member

shootingstar:

I keep trying to modify my diet and have even tried fasting.

Thanks for your info, every little bit helps.

Continued good luck for you.

nyrofan
  4. Kayleen

Kayleen New Member

I also battle with weight gain. I have no control when it comes to bread and potatoes. I have alot of problems with my stomach so eating lots of vegetables bothers me. My stomach feels better when I eat Carbs but my energy says I shouldn't....Oh Bother!
    k