OT ~ Changing jobs - scared

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Bailey-smom, Jan 13, 2006.

1. Bailey-smom

Bailey-smom New Member

A while back I had posted that I was thinking about making a career change. Well, I have made a huge step this week.

I had a meeting with my district manager yesterday and I told him of my intention. He is being very understanding and is willing to work with me as far as an end date and everything else.

I feel like I have been making decisions based on fear and I can not continue to do this any longer. I am a bit scared of starting a new job working for someone else & worrying about taking time off with my pain. I have been self-employed for almost 8 years and have forgotten what it is like to work for anyone. I am scared to be a quitter – I don’t like to give up and I worry what people will say in my small town of 900 people. I am scared because I own my building and what will happen if it does not sell or I can’t rent it? I am scared that I will not be able to find a position that pays well enough to cover my health costs – with prescriptions being $400-$600/ month who can blame me?

My husband was not too thrilled by my decision but he is not in my shoes. It has gotten to the point that I do not want to come in to work anymore. My stomach hurts and my FM flares all the time & I feel it is stress induced. I am always worrying about the bills – staff – customers – and I hope these feelings will be better if I am happier. I think he is slowly coming around but I know he did not think I was serious the first time I brought it up.

I did get an application today to apply for a job w/in our County Gov’t. It would be nice to get this because it has benefits – wish me luck! I can take a few months to find something – with this in mind I don’t know if I should hit the pavement hard and apply a lot of places or do it slowly???

Thanks for any advice
    Kelly
  2. i wish you the best in your new job kelly,please keep us informed on how things go for you.

good luck..
    fran
  3. kaiasmom

kaiasmom New Member

I have not changed jobs since I was diagnosed, but it would be a very scary thing. I am an attendance nightmare!! Luckily I am good at what I do - I know that's why I still have a job.

My only advice is to make sure you know what you are getting yourself in for if you decide to make a change.

Leanne