OT: Christmas bonus for housekeeper--how much?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Wasabi, Dec 4, 2005.

1. Wasabi

Wasabi New Member

How much would you recommend I give to my cleaning lady for a Christmas bonus?

She comes every other week and charges $80 each time she comes. She does a good job, and I trust her. So far, she has been willing to comply with my requests and modify her methods when necessary.

Most etiquette guides say that for a housekeeper, you should give 1 week pay for a Christmas bonus. Since she comes every other week, does that mean $40? Or $80? Either way, it seems like a lot, but I do want to keep her happy....

Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks.
    [This Message was Edited on 12/05/2005]
  2. jennypee

jennypee New Member

She must be a dream come true for you!

I say that if you value her work and her flexibility, go for the 80 if you can afford it. Nothing improves a person's willingness to go the extra mile for their boss like money, in my opinion.

However, because her work week is not traditional, it seems like 40 would be the apropriate amount.
    (and much appreciated, I'm sure!)
  3. pepper

pepper New Member

I was going to give my cleaner $30 and thought that was generous. Then my sister received a letter on Friday from her cleaning company suggesting "a minimum" of half what they charge for coming once every 2 wks which would make it $60 minimum. I guess I should re-think this.

Pepper
  4. ldbgcoleman

ldbgcoleman New Member

I agree if you treat her well it is motivating. I can't believe the company sent a letter suggesting a gift or tip and giving the amount. That is too tacky. My postman put a self addressed envelope in my mailbox last year which I also thought was tacky and it made me want to not give. Lynn
  5. Wasabi

Wasabi New Member

Thanks, everyone, for your thoughts. I guess it really is customary to give a fairly hefty Christmas bonus, so I guess I'll probably go with the $50-80 range.

I do appreciate my housekeeper. She has made a huge difference while I've been struggling with my illness. As my husband said, a Christmas bonus is only once a year and we do want to show our appreciation.
  6. kch64

kch64 New Member

If she's good and comes every two weeks and does a good job, you should give her more than $80.00

don't be miserly because an etiquette book says to give a weeks pay.

She's doing it alone and she does a good job, I think $100.00 is a good starting point.

I have a team of four ladies and I give them each that much if possible, and no, I'm not rich.

7. twerp

twerp New Member

is a nice problem to have.

That said, I pay my cleaning lady $50 per week and tip her $100 at Christmas.

She's been with me, though, for about 12 years now, very dependable, very thorough.

Just my 2 cents...

Hugs,
    Twerp
  8. ilovecats94

ilovecats94 New Member

I give her a week's pay, so if she gets $75 every other week, her before Christmas check will be $150. She plans on cleaning on 12/23 for me.

Now I realize that is a lot of money, but she has come here with a bad back and still cleaned. She has been cleaning for me for almost 6 years. She is a young married woman.

My husband felt she deserved that much. Now for other things, like the paper girl, we only give $15.

I don't give anything to my hair stylist as I tip her every time I see her plus she owns the shop and when you own the shop it isn't necessary to tip.

Hope you feel well.

Hugs,
    Faye
    My cleaning girl couldn't come today due to snow. She will be here on Saturday. :)

9. ilovecats94

ilovecats94 New Member

Our newspaper girl actually had a card in the paper with a Christmas card to us and an envelope addressed to her. This is the kind of envelope that will hold checks and notes, but not a Christmas card.

Michael thought that was tacky and that is why she is only getting $15 from us. Also she was throwing the paper in the yard at first and we have a box for the newspaper and other non-mail items.

Hugs,
    Faye
  10. hunterwillow

hunterwillow New Member

Don't be pressured to give a bonus that you cannot afford.
    The amount you SHOULD give is what you can afford, what you think is fair, and what you WANT to give.

I feel very grateful for whatever amount of Christmas BONUS I get. I earn an hourly wage based on my job and performance. That is the pay I expect. I have worked several jobs that didn't pay a Christmas bonus at all. How much money does it take to say "Thank you for the good job you do, and Merry Christmas."? To have a standardized amount says a lot about what our country is coming to. And it certainly isn't what Christmas is about.

Its these standards and rules that completely ruin the true meaning of Christmas.

11. razorqueen

razorqueen Member

wonder what kind of bonus I should give myself? Trip to Hawaii? Wide screen plasma TV? Guess I will have to settle with a French Vanilla Cappacino!!!
    You are blessed to be able to have a cleaning lady!
  12. JLH

JLH New Member

U. S. Government employees are PROHIBITTED from receiving gratutities, even at Christmas.

Each branch of the government may have a little exception, like the branch that I worked for .... we were allowed to receive "token" GIFTS, if the value was LESS THAN $25 -- BUT NEVER CASH.

Shame on that postal carrier!!!!!! They are paid well to begin with!!! Unlike a kid passing newspapers or a waitress who earns $1.25/hr plus tips (which I hate restaurant owners for hiring persons at such a small sum.)

If the postal carrier were mine, I would be placing a call to the city's postmaster, asking him/her what their policy on gratutities was, then happen to mention what the postal carrier did!

I can't help it--well paid workers should not be doing this!

And ... I also hate what the custom of tipping has become!
    There is even a rule on how much to tip your garbage man! I held a paying job for 30 years, but nobody even tipped me either.

But ... for the housekeeper who does a fantastic job and is very trustworthy ... I would have to go with the one week's pay, in this case .. $80. That is what we gave our babysitter who used to come to our home and babysit -- one week's pay -- and this was over 20 years ago!

Happy Holidays!
    Janet
  13. sues1

sues1 New Member

She goes above and beyond what is expected of her. She is thoughtful, trustworthy,and kind.

She is my second one I've had and the best.

She deserves to get reorganization for being herself and let her know that we appreciate her.

I have a couple of nice gifts for her, as that is a personal thought, but I also have been planning to give her also one weeks pay (on a minimum week at least, some weeks she stays and does more). I know she can use the money, so I do not want to take that away from her.

I have known women in well paid responsible jobs that quit and started cleaning homes. They say they can work hours they want to work and they love moving and doing and they are happy. But some work it because they need to, the others I knew did not really have to work, just wanted to.

I feel so blessed to have found her, so I will try and treat her right.

Mailman getting tips? That is not ethical. My paper person I tip during the year and $10.00 at Christmas. They do not earn very much and it is a hard job. I have a great one, so deserves to be recognized.I want to keep the one I have!

I think it depends on the type of service you get and how you feel about it. Also we have to stay within what we can afford. MERRY CHRISTMAS to all....
  14. Bambi

Bambi New Member

to do, lots of people who clean houses are NOT well educated and it is a job most anyone with good health can do. I've known women with no husband helping and a lot of kids to support who do it by cleaning homes. I don't think it matters WHY they do it. It should be what kind of job they do for you, how much you need them and how much you are pleased by their work.

I know a lot of people won't agree with me, but bottom line Christmas is, like it or not, our one big materialistic holiday. It's something most people celebrate whether they are religious or not. It is for many the one day a year they give gifts to all the people they love or care about just "because". It isn't the birth date of the birth of anyone, is something that was put into the relegious holidays when the Christian church was expanding and allowing people to come in and bring their pagan ceremonies with them. Part of that was the tree, gifts, food etc..

Anyone can research all that, but if they want to make it a relegious celebration it's all good with me. I just think we should keep it all in perspective and realize for many it is just a Santa Claus and the "works" holiday, including gifts and sometimes extravagant gifts at that. It's true "the Lord loves a cheerful
    giver" at any time, but I think that was referring to giving to the church
    anyway. If the woman does a good job for you and you like and trust her, I'd give her as generous a "bonus" as I could afford.
  15. jbennett2

jbennett2 New Member

tipping should be banned! If they want to charge a certain fee, then let that be the fee and not have to have a tip too.

It's the who to tip, who not to tip that gets me. Employee or owner.....

My mailmen get small gifts (usually chocolates). The one who is the substitute always sends a thank you through the mail. That is thoughtful. But no one else ever says thanks.

I do give my garbage man a "Christmas" bonus. But that is it! I try to schedule my hair appointments after Christmas so that I don't have to give an even bigger tip!

Call me cheap, but I think tipping is out of control. In restaurants, you're expected to tip even when you get bad service. Let the owners pay their employees what they're worth!
  16. PVLady

PVLady New Member

I would give her $100. if you can afford it.

I always prefer to err on the side of generosity if possible. I always find something good comes back to me.
    [This Message was Edited on 12/06/2005]
  17. Lynda44

Lynda44 New Member

Wow...talk about a post right up my alley..lol

I am a cleaning lady...and I live in Canada.
    I have about 6 customers..some are weekly cleanings, some bi-weekly.

My customers all tell me how much they appreciate me, and I am very good at what I do, and I am Well educated too by the way...but chose this work so that I could work around my children's needs while they r still at home.

I usually receive a variety of gifts at Christmas...some people give me a gift of money, I have received gift certificates, flowers, chocolates, candles, all kinds of nice things.

50.00 is a very nice bonus in my opinion,and if u can afford it and want to , Im sure she will realize how much shes appreciated :)

18. matthewson

matthewson New Member

My husband and I started a small office cleaning business 6 years ago. Some background. My husband sells cleaning supplies for a living and he kept getting requests from his accounts for names of cleaning people. He decided that the amount of money you can make cleaning offices (as long as you don't have employees, ours is a family business) is substantial.

We have one account that is a wholesale wine and beer distributer and they give us a bottle of wine at Thanksgiving and Christmas. Another account is a church and they give us a $30.00 gift certificate to a local restaurant. The rest do not give us anything.

Honestly, we have never expected anything! We are happy with the amount of money we make and have actually thought about giving the one account that is our biggest a Christmas present to try to keep the account as it gets renewed every year and someone could come in and underbid us. We only picked up this account 9 months ago.

So, I would say, give whatever you feel like, but don't feel like you have to give anything if you feel that the woman is well paid for her work. You would be surprised at the level of income you can make from cleaning!

Take care, Sally