OT: Collecting old silver coins

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by claudiaw, Mar 15, 2006.

1. claudiaw

claudiaw New Member

I have quite a few old silver coins my mother and grandmother collected years ago ( both have passed away).
    I need to find a reputable coin dealer to see if they are worth anything. We need money so bad and I have no centimental value attached to them, so instead of them just sitting here, I thought maybe I could sell them.

Does anyone know how to go about finding a good dealer? I don't want to get ripped off, because I have no clue of their value. they may have only face value ( I hope:), i have no idea.
    I thought of EBay, but don't know about that either.

Hoping someone may have an idea.
    Thanks, Claudia
  2. Juloo

Juloo Member

If you live near a metropolitan area, call a local estate appraiser and ask for the names of a couple of reputable coin dealers. When you call the dealers themselves, ask what their fee is for evaluating your collection -- if it is per coin, a percentage of the potential value of the coins, or a flat fee based on his/her time.

If you have any interest in learning it, you can learn about the grades of use and how to identify the coin and place of minting. Then you can make a list and see if you can find any resources online that might give you a ballpark.

There are probably also sites online that you can send your collection to for evaluation, but there would be a fee attached.

If it were up to me, I'd probably want to have a good idea of what I've got. It wasn't coin, but after my father died, my mother had some jewelry appraised that had been handed down to him. One ring with a red stone was 'evaluated' by a local pawn shop as being costume, but mom had kept a cleaning receipt from a reputable jewelry store that had estimated the value at over $6,000. The latter ended up being corrent -- the pawn shop guy was either a)completely ignorant, or b)completely criminal.[This Message was Edited on 03/15/2006]
  3. claudiaw

claudiaw New Member

Thanks for the advice about the estate people ( can't think what to call them, still tired).

I really don't have the energy to go through the net, I tried, was too much for me.

I want to avoid someone like you mentioned at the pawn shop, that I will stay away from. i don't trust most of them.

There is an estate and coin collector in nashville that I will talk to next time I go for P.T.
    I had no idea they charged just to look at the stuff.

Thanks for the good info.:)

Claudia
  4. MamaDove

MamaDove New Member

In my 38 years of life, I have yet to meet an honest coin dealer, pawn shop owner, jeweler...well you get the idea...

If I were you and if you are fluent in ebay searching, you can come up with your own valuations with some time and effort...You may not know much about coins now and think that only experts do, but experts got that way by researching...You can too...

We collect and pay fair prices, we also buy many from ebay and ALL of our experiences have been great, fair and honest...

I wish we could trade email addys here, I would love to see what you have and even if we weren't interested in purchasing, I could at least tell you what they were and their value...

Please don't GIVE them away or let many know you have them, people tend to get greedy ya know...

Again, ebay would be the best way to research what you have. Just type in the year and face value of coin and tons will be offered for auction...The pics that people list are usually very good too, so I am sure you will find the info you need...I just read your post again and see you are not familiar with ebay...If you would like you could post the year and denominations and I would be glad to give you approx. values...Of course, won't be exact, but you will know more than you know now...If I can help, lemme know...

Good Luck~Alicia
    [This Message was Edited on 03/15/2006]
  5. HagerTX

HagerTX New Member

Most local coin shops will only give you a fraction of what they are worth. Your best bet is to go to a local book store and buy a book for about $10 which gives current prices for US coinage (I used to collect coins)..

Just out of curiosity, how many (approximately) coins do you have?

Greg
  6. claudiaw

claudiaw New Member

That's great info.
    I will try E bay.
    I don't even know what I have they are in my cedar chest, I have to dig them out.
    When I get around to it, I'll post what I have and get your opinion.
    I can't stay on the computer too long at a time, that is why I haven't researched much.
    Thank you for the info and advice, when my husband get's back from his trip I'll have him get them out for me.
    Thanks again, Claudia
  7. claudiaw

claudiaw New Member

That's a good idea, I'll go to the library and see if I can find a book ( I have to find a ride I can't drive right now).
    Honestly I don't know how many I have maybe 50 large silver 1921 to 1923 one dollar coins, maybe 100 smaller silver ones later yrs. like 1945 , it has been a while since I looked at them.
    we are in need of money and since I have them I figured I might as well put them to use if possible.
    I would never part with my mom's jewerly, but I don't have any attachment to the coins ( or stamps).
    i guess I need to go through them so I have better info to give.:)
    Thanks for the help.
    Claudia
    [This Message was Edited on 03/15/2006]
    ps. I have 45 buffalo nickles from 1913 to 1938 and about 42 JFK half dollars from 1964.[This Message was Edited on 03/15/2006]
  8. spiritsky

spiritsky Member

I used to collect coins when I was younger. Unless they're in really excellent condition you probably won't get more than $10 - 20 dollars each. Usually they're just worth the silver content. But since silver prices have doubled in the last year you might do better....good luck..

But, you never know if you have something really rare...then the price can go up dramatically, even if it's not in great condition.[This Message was Edited on 03/15/2006]
  9. halo52208

halo52208 New Member

Claudia,

My father left us a coin collection that we have yet to go through. But the best idea I got from my step-father is when you go to have them evealuated, DO NOT let them out of your sight. Don't let them take them into a back room to check them unless you are right by his side. Because some rip off places say they have to take them to the back to look at them under their scope at them and change them with cheaper ones.

I had a few other small coins here at home and what I did was looked up under ebay for coins that I had. I looked under the search for the exact coin to see what they were selling for. That will help give you an idea what they are going for. It also works under the search box on your home page.

Good Luck

Halo
  10. spiritsky

spiritsky Member

I just checked the americancoinstore dot com and their price list is between 6.75 and 10 dollars per dollar coin depending on the quality. You might do better at a local dealer than a store on the internet but probably not much more than that - again unless you have something rare.

good luck
  11. claudiaw

claudiaw New Member

Thank you for taking the time to write and look stuff up for me.
    I don't expect to get much for them, but right now
    i'm getting nothing, so anything will help.
    Thanks for the info on keeping them in my sight. I have heard the same about jewlers.
    it is sad we can't trust people to be honest.
    Thanks guy's
    claudia