OT Comfortable bra?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by twerp, Jul 3, 2006.

1. twerp

twerp New Member

Ladies, I have been wearing underwire bras for as long as I can remember, but, lately, they have become SO uncomfortable.

I am looking for a non-underwire bra, with enough thickness to it that it goes well under T-shirts, without any "show through" when it's chilly. You know what I mean.

Has anyone found such an article? I thought I heard about one by Hanes called a "t-shirt bra", but haven't been able to find one.

Thanks & hugs,
  2. mme_curie68

mme_curie68 New Member

I, too, had to give up the underwire. I found a non-underwire in a playtex bra that has some padding to it to help with the show through.

Most of the t-shirt bras are underwire.

You have to pick through the playtex cases but they're there if you're patient.

Madame Curie
  3. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

"Comfortable Bra" is an oxymoron. Even the most comfortable ones I've found start drining me nuts as the day wears on.

Love, Mikie
  4. twerp

twerp New Member

Madame, I will investigate the Playtex "models".

Mikie, I agree wholeheartedly with you and do not wear one when at home. However, since I'm still working, I can't get away with it all the time. Wish I could!

Thanks for your replies,
  5. lovethesun

lovethesun New Member

For those of you with back pain,these work alot better.
  6. twerp

twerp New Member

I hadn't considered the front or back closure issue. It is really hard for me to fasten in the back some mornings due to pain in my wrists and the way you have to bend them to get those darn hooks to fasten.

7. CockatooMom

CockatooMom New Member

I just HAD to respond to this post!
    I hope I do not offend anyone.
    I'm sure some may feel this is TMI - too much information!

Bra's...I HATE them! There's a lot of choices out there if you're no bigger than a 36C!

I wear a 40 DD, and don't like the show through either. But, I can't find a lined bra in my size that IS comfortable.

I hate lacy stuff, just itches and irritates skin.
    I get SO FRUSTRATED when bra shopping!

I thought about the non-underwire too, but couldn't find any of them I like either.(don't like the "pointy" look)

Even when I wear a sports bra, I get brush burns on my stomach from them rubbing. They're SO heavy and one is a cup size larger than the other.

If I don't wear a bra, I have sweat running down my stomach from under my boobs. (Then I have to get out the bounty papertowels for under them)

So, I resorted to buying my bras online at victorias secret. Just plain old everyday full coverage BODY by Victoria.

Good luck!!

8. twerp

twerp New Member

I don't like that lacy/scratchy stuff either. And I can fully relate to the "paper towel" reference!!

Never thought of Victoria's Secret. Figured all their stuff was too fancy (lacy) to be comfortable. I'll check them out!

Thanks again,
  9. SusanEU

SusanEU New Member

Body wear by Rhonda has some really comfy bras. Might have to wear with a pad on chilly days. I have 2.

You can get them on HSN in the US and The Shopping Channel in Canada. (They are a lot cheaper and better selection in US).

I have ordered some comfort bras from Clear Point Direct in Canada, fairly comfortable and really inexpensive - around $6.99 I think.

Spanx has one that looks really comfy, but it is too expensive for me.

As you can see, I always on the hunt for comfy bras, too.

Good Luck in Your Search

Sue in Ontario
  10. twerp

twerp New Member

I'll try to locate those.

Yes, it seems like a lot of us are on that quest for the "perfect" bra. If only it were still the 60's and we could do without! Ha!

Or, better yet, if everything was still pointed in the right direction and we wouldn't need one! At my age (51), I can only "dream on" about that...Ha!

11. findmind

findmind New Member

I accidentally bought a bra at Wal-Marts, that had a flannel lining that had an open section (for nursing pads?/inserts?), it was nylon on the front.

Its the most comfy one I have, because the cotton flannel absorbs moisture and keeps me cool even in summer.

I have to get back there and see what in the world I bought and stock up!

I, too do like front closures, so easy to get on, LOL!

Good luck
  12. Lolalee

Lolalee New Member

I bought a couple of Maidenform Bras at Steinmart (don't know if you have Steinmart in your area). It is the most comfortable bra I own. It has no underwire and just a little padding which is what I was looking for because I don't need any extra enhancing if you know what I mean.

Good luck. I agree with most that comfortable bra is an oxymoron.

13. twerp

twerp New Member

Yes, we do have SteinMart here and of course we have Wal-Mart! I'll check out both those places.

I used to wear Maidenform a while back and liked it. It was, however, underwire. Got to go back and look at the soft ones.

That WalMart find sounds interesting as well. Flannel would be very soft, and comfy in winter. Don't know how it would do in this Phoenix summer heat...

Thanks & Hugs,
  14. bluestanglady

bluestanglady New Member

Like another poster, I too like Maidenform. I get mine at JC Penney. Also if your bra is uncomfortable, it might be because you're wearing the wrong size. I know JC Penney, Belk and Hechts (now Macy's) offers bra fittings. My daugther-in-law used to work at Hechts and she worked in lingerie and did fittings. She said there was rarely a lady that came in that actually wore the right size bra. So my first suggestion would be to be fitted for the correct size. Also you were talking about the 'padding' for 'cold' weather. You can buy inserts for your bra for those little problems! You can buy them where you buy your bra. Hope this helps.

15. CockatooMom

CockatooMom New Member

Boy you are RIGHT!

Having the correct size is the MOST important thing!
    I got measured too.
  16. millennia

millennia New Member

Victoria's secret has a wireless Ipex bra. I've heard they're great bras, but they don't come in DD so I wouldn't know. Avenue has a large selection of wireless, the back sizes start at 40. Avenue is a good choice for us busty girls, even if you're not plus sized.
  17. caroleye

caroleye New Member

Soft all cotton & the only one I can wear.

18. queenwonder

queenwonder New Member

I'm new to this site and read with interest the topic on bra's. I have had FM forever (it seems) and even though I have lost a few lbs., all of a sudden all my bras feel like boa constrictors. When I told my Dr. this, he didn't even reply. Glad to know I'm not the only one who finds wearing a bra uncomfortable - that includes those all cotton sports bras!
  19. eeyoreblue02

eeyoreblue02 Member

Cannot be stressed enough. I was stunned when I got a professional fitting. I had NEVER worn the right size bra since my breast reduction.

My physical therapist gave me a "homework" assignment to go and find a bra that fit me propertly. She said the wrong bra can add to your aches and pains.

I feel better than I have in a long time with my properly fitting bra.

20. carebelle

carebelle New Member

We could be really rich if we found the perfic Fit Bra.

I also use a underwire and have for years.
    I have some from QVC that are really the best Ive found so far.

The are called Breezes I ordered then in a size larger then I normally wore.In other words if you are a 36D order a 38 D or 38 DD.For extra cup.

These are great if you sweat alot. they have an extra thick band that keeps the water away from under your breast.They also carry a nice cotton brief that has the material in it that keeps you dry.

Ive been wearing these for several years they are not perfic but are the best Ive found.I hope it helps you all.
    Oh they have both underwire and plan.