OT Contrary People

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by PVLady, Oct 21, 2006.

1. PVLady

PVLady New Member

Just curious - does anyone here know people who are "contrary" no matter what. I mean, they always have to express the opposite opinion when you say something, even if it is not even about them.

My husband used to have that habit of arbitrarily saying the opposite of whatever we were talking about until lately he tries to watch it.

2. Bruin63

Bruin63 Member

My Dh and the rest of the Family, lol

If I say it's Blue they'll say it Red, I think it comes mostly from my being the Oldest, they probably think I'm a know it all, lol,

well maybe, :eek:)

sharonk
  3. llama

llama New Member

Hi all,

Don't get me wrong, I like my MIL, but for the past 19 years it has always been the same. When I was still young and just engaged to her son, I would put up with the BS.

No matter how I termed some thought or idea I had, she would turn around and try to act like I was foolish for thinking that way. No matter what I was always the "odd (wo)man out."

Well, now I'm 47 and could give a **** what her opinion is or how it fits in with what my beliefs are. ahhh! that felt good to say!!...........Jill............
  4. suz45

suz45 New Member

My mother in Law has ro always be in control of everyone/everything... For the past 24 years of knowing her, it is her way or the highway..... She is very difficult to deal with because she is often very short sighted, contrary, has to right, would never admit to being wrong.

She visitied us a few weks back at our new home I was in a bad flare with my MPS....However, she always has it worse. Complains about the littlest thing....even the way my oldest daughter was making the pancakes (they were fine). If I try to step in somehow she has a way od totally blocking one out, its a rather amzing skill... Howver when it comes to my girls I do not let her use put downs, or take control over them or play favorites between the two.

This year they are down in Florida permamntly for the first time after selling their house. I have tried various ways to decrease the tension, but if one is going to constantly be negative their is very little anyone can do to change the person, especially when they don't see the problem.

The sad part is my Father in law is a really nice funny loving man, yet he allows himself to be controlled by her all the time. I feel bad..... I limit the visits and try and place boundries regarding her behavior, especially with the girls. It does put my husband in a rough palce as he has tried to talk to her and she just doesn't get it.

Suz45
  5. llama

llama New Member

Hi all,

Wakemeup, I don't know how in the world you put up with a "care-giver" (sounds like don't care-giver), who seems to be verbally abusive. I think one of these days I would fire her and mean it...no matter how sorry she said she was. And as far as your sister goes, I'm really sorry about that. How can family be so cruel to each other?

I think once you realize where the conversation is headed (that she's going to make you cry)I'd very cordially end the conversation. When she repeatedly doesn't get to "pull off her act", who knows she may stop??!!

Suz45, I know it's easier said than done, but I just ignore my MIL as much as possible. I know it's mean but I act like she's a silly, pathetic little woman whose opinion means nothing. I think that with any type of "bully", if you can steal their thunder and leave them feeling ignored and stupid, they may mind their manners?

I just don't know why people have to play the head games they do with each other. One thing these DD's have helped me with is to be more compassionate and just to try to be sensitive to the fact that EVERYONE has their cross to bear and we'd all find things a little easier if we were kind to each other.

I'll get off my soapbox now, thanks for listening and hugs and good wishes to all..........Jill...........

6. kriket

kriket New Member

Contrary people. If you can at all AVOID them, that is the best thing you can do. They don't know just how much personality they are showing. Usually if they annoy you, they annoy everybody else.

Kriket