OT Crockpot recommendations

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by proteinlady, Nov 7, 2005.

1. proteinlady

proteinlady New Member

I bought a Hamilton Beach 6 qt slow cooker with non-stick a pan insert instead of a crock to I could lift it when it is full. It is light when full and it cleans up real nice.

However, the sucker cooks way too fast. I left chicken and rice cooking for 7 hr on low while I was at work. The rice was good but the chicken was overcooked and rubbery.

This weekend I cooked a 31/2 lb. meat loaf while I was home so I could watch it. It was done in 31/2 hr on low. Cooking this fast defeats the purpose so I'm sending it back.

However, I still really want a crockpot so I can come home to dinner ready to go. Does anyone have a crokpot that they are happy with and can lift when there is food in it.

Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

2. teacher

teacher New Member

Have you thought about getting a timer? Some folks I know use one and they like it.

Have you called the company to ask why it's cooking so fast? They might have some answers for you.

I have a Rival. It cooks just fine.

Good luck!
  3. cats3

cats3 New Member

I have a Rival Smart-Pot programmable Crock-Pot stoneware slow cooker. It's either 6 or 6 1/2 quart.
    I got it at Sams Club.
    High temp-- 4 or 6 hrs
    Low temp-- 8 or 10 hrs.
    Once the cooking time elapses the Smart-Pot automatically shifts to the WARM setting keeping food at the perfect serving temp without overcooking.
    It has a removable stoneware and it is non stick.
  4. ldbgcoleman

ldbgcoleman New Member

Are you putting the right amount of liquids in it??? I was actually putting too much in mine. It is workigng fine now! Good luck I either make chili or vegetable soup every Sunday. I have it for lunchs a few days that week yummy! Lynn
  5. CarolK

CarolK New Member

Hi Proteinlady.... I got my crockpot off of Home Shopping Work. It is a Suzanne Sommers (not sure who manufactures it). Anyway it is a 6 or 6 1/2 qt. cooker with a ceramic crock and two non-stick inserts for cooking individual dishes at the same time. I LOVE IT! It has a high and low setting and is pretty close on cooking times.... either 3-4 hours or 6-8 hours. I can easily remove the white crock bowl (filled with food) and carry it to the table.

I am really enjoying mine and after 40+ years of marriage I am just discovering the joys of crockry cooking! You can find lots of really great recipes online or get some good crockpot recipe cookbooks.

Perhaps yours is not calibrated correctly... sounds like you need to return it and get another one... they are supposed to cook slowly!

Blessings... CarolK
  6. rockgor

rockgor Well-Known Member

ABOUT CRACKPOT RECOMMENDATIONS.

Well, I'm readly for some. After 25 years of CFS I'd be willing to try elixir of dragon tongue if someone said it was helpful.

Medications/supplements don't work for me. Need something supernatural, I guess.
  7. ilovecats94

ilovecats94 New Member

Thank you Rockgor for your post about thinking the thread was about Crackpot Recommendations. You made me laugh until I cried and I really needed that.

My hubby has a regular crockpot (2 actually) and one is a Rival. But I assume it is heavy. He lifts it and washes it. I think if he would spray the inside with Pam, maybe food wouldn't stick to it. I'll mention that to him the next time he uses it. It is a big one either 6 or 8qt. I really don't know. He has had two going at one time before to serve stew to 5 people.

Hugs,
    Faye