OT---Cromwell, about Cornell Vet school

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by BethM, Feb 21, 2006.

1. BethM

BethM New Member

Hi, Anne. I went to the Cornell Vet School site, and to get any info from them I have to pay a large fee for research time. yikes! Is there someone you know who I can email directly?

My big dog has been energetic and playful lately, and the excess water drinking has calmed down. I think maybe I am scrutinizing him too closely and looking for problems that aren't there. He has a vet appointment on Saturday, and the vet will be very happy to run lots of tests that will be very expensive, if I want her to do so.

The cost is scary. Very scary. The vet expects me to jump right in and do ALL THAT WE CAN DO. And I just can't. I have a sense that my dog has tumors inside, but the only way to tell is an ultrasound or x-rays. sigh.

So, I don't know what to do about this. If money were not an issue, I'd say go ahead and test away. But it IS an issue.

I'm torn between doing what I know SHOULD be done, and doing what I CAN do. For instance, I know it's better for my dogs if I cook their food, but I just can't do that anymore. And I know the commercially prepared raw food is also very good for them, but it makes me gag to handle it. So, they are getting very high end canned and dry food. And they seem happy with it. They eat better than many people do.

Anyway, I think what I need is an objective medical viewpoint of this cancer and what to expect and what to do or not do. Any help would be greatly appreciated!!

Peace,
    Beth.
  2. Cromwell

Cromwell New Member

sEE MY POST JUST BACK FROM er.

What a bummer, they are charging now. When I feel OK there is a vet tech from there lives a few doors away so I will ask her, she is pretty savvy, is cancer surgical assistant.

I agree with above poster, plus the fact that spindle cells rarely travel. Plus recall I did always think that the spinal stenosis came from having anaesthesia, as confirmed by Cornell, which rendered Blue Paraplegic last 18 months of life, getting around with wheels and sling.

Would I ever do that again? No, as the quality of life is so much diminished, it was a question of starting and not being able to stop.

If a vet is good they should be able to get the edges clean and free of cancer cells, should you decide to proceed. How big is this lump BTW?

Sorry have to go still feel awful

Love Anne C
  3. neen85

neen85 New Member

Last night a friend just gave me a book from onlynaturalpet (that is their web site also)and it had a formula called "The Only Natural PEt Cancer Formula Herbal Supplement"

It says that this containt the 4 herbs in the famous Essiac formula. These herbs may help reduce tumor growth,purify blood,and cary away destroyed tissue. Helps strengthen the innate defense mechanisms of the body, enabling normal cells to destroy abnormal cells.

Might be worth checking into. Keep in mind the other book I suggested also. I am going to try the oil and heating pad method to try to break down my fibroid tumors. Daneen
  4. BethM

BethM New Member

Thank you for your responses!

Anne, I hope you feel better soon. Sending light and healing to you. If you can talk to your neighbor, thank you. If you are not up to it, that's ok too. You've done a lot for me already!

The tumor is about the size of a golf ball and a half. Hasn't gotten any bigger lately, and big dog seems happy and energetic, eats everything I give him, enjoys our walks and even sometimes plays with the little dog.

I'm thinking of cancelling his vet appointment on Saturday, as he has stopped drinking so much water and just seems happy and comparitively healthy.

Daneen, I'll look into the site you mentioned, thank you. It sounds interesting. Good luck with the oil and heating pad method, hope it works well for you.

Donnaeil, thank you, sometimes I get a little overwhelmed with what people tell me I SHOULD do. The canned food IS ok, and they are getting good quality commercial dog food. They also get fresh fruits and veggies, and other stuff. Not that I spoil my dogs or anything...

Have a wonderful Wednesday!

Peace,
    Beth.
  5. claudiaw

claudiaw New Member

I hope you don't mind me jumping in here, but I have dog's that I love too.:)
    I can no longer cook for them but I use Solid Gold dog food it is sold in health food stores or you can go to thier website.
    There is also a good website Shirleyswellnesscafe.com that talks about pet's health.

I have had to decide who goes to the doctor me or the pets.:)
    It is hard when you want to do the best for them, but don't have the money for your own medical care much less theirs.
    I know some people hear use Transfer Factor that is good for pets too.:)
    You probably already know all this, I just wanted to throw this out there just in case.
    Just want to help.:)
    I hope everything turns out alright.
    Claudia