OT: Customer Service in Computer Land

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by rockgor, Nov 6, 2006.

1. rockgor

rockgor Well-Known Member

I'm back! You haven't heard from me for a few days as Gordon and I have been the victims of "customer service" this past week.

Gordon forgot to pay the computer bill. I would have thought the computer company (SBC-AT&T), being in the computer business, would have sent us a friendly e mail reminder.

But no. It turned off the service. So when we finally found out why there was no service Gordon paid them...over the phone w/ a credit card.

We were assured for the next three days that the service would be restored in an hour or two.

After several days of meaningless promises a very fat man came to the house and after a good deal of to do, calls to co-workers for help, and the installation of a new modem (the old one was a year old), service was restored. So I was told.

Well, it wasn't really restored as it was impossible to sign in. Another 20 minutes of carrying on. After I was told we did not have a new password, it turned out we did.

All this cost a couple hundred dollars.

I told Mr Happy Serviceman that the company should take the million dollars it spends on advertising every month and use the money to improve customer service;

And I asked him why should we pay when the company caused the problem?

He in turn asked me to fill out a questionnaire. I told him I would be glad to for $130.

And this is the way the modern world is. One is constantly battling w/ big business or big government. Some enormous entity that has virtually unlimited power and money. And thinks customer service is some quaint term for the distant past.

And doesn't care what you think or do.

No wonder most of us feel a little battered and bruised much of the time.

So now you know. But I 'spect you did already.

Anyway, it's nice to be back.

2. Marta608

Marta608 Member

I also am currently enraged, this time at the STOOOOPID canned commercials that are being sent via phone from a candidate running for Governor of MI! The calls come all times of day and evening and are duplicates of calls already sent the same day! Even if I had been going to vote for the guy which I wasn't, I wouldn't now!

BAH. I'll be glad when this election business is over for awhile.

Anyway, thanks for letting me blow off steam on your thread. Whew.

Marta
  3. shar6710

shar6710 New Member

I had noticed you weren't around, glad it was only a computer problem and not related to health.

By the way, I enjoyed your story telling as usual. Hope you don't mind that I had a good chuckle at your expense.

Shar
  4. Seeseaisme

Seeseaisme New Member

I wondered what on earth happened to you. I missed you so much on the Porch. I'm sorry for your bad experience with customer service.

But like someone else mentioned, I'm glad it's not your health that took you away from the board. Glad to have you back.

sess
  5. mindbender

mindbender New Member

Glad your back.

Earthlink took money out of my account without authorization. We never were able to use their service.(I use term loosley).

Admitting that they did this, they to this day refuse to pay it back. Plus check charges.

They and MCI were doing this at the same time continuously until the account was empty, and then some.

MCI payed the money back and most of the check charges. This of course admitted guilt. By the time I figured out who else took money plus charges adding up, the account was closed.

It took yrs of fixing credit just to get the account, and now it is no more.

I'm going to stay after Earthlink until they know me by name, if you know what i mean.

Sorry to vent on your thread Rockgor,you just reminded me of this.

Have a nice evening
    Dan
  6. 69mach1

69mach1 New Member

i know have verizon..so far so good.

jodie
  7. nerdieduckie

nerdieduckie New Member

I havent' really had much trouble with SBC, except for them dropping our connection speed and raising up the price after our "year-guaranteed" price was over. We called them on it and they fixed it though...for a bit. I think the price has gone back up again, so we may be switching soon.

Now, CompUSA's tech support....that's another story. Not really related, but in a way I guess it is. I used to have a laptop, it burned through 3 harddrives in 3 years, and they told me nothing was wrong with it. I haven't been able to use the CD drive for well...about 8 months after I got it was when it cut out.

Nothing wrong with it, eh?

Gotta love customer support.

Welcome back, Rockgor!
  8. mrdad

mrdad New Member

Ya know, I just thought you were busy doin' other things
    this weekend and had no idea you wre going thru this. It
    ia so Darn frustrating dealing with these large, ambigu-
    ous Corporations! They make it so that they cannot be
    confronted face to face anymore so there is NO personal
    contact or accountability!! I saw that coming on about
    25 years ago with AT&T and MA Bell at the time! It is