OT ~ Daily Trivia ~ I'm starting something new!

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by EgyptStarr, Dec 13, 2005.

1. EgyptStarr

EgyptStarr New Member

My Sweetie brought me home a book with lots of fun, interesting "trivia" facts that I've really been enjoying!

And since we all LOVE the jokes that are posted on here almost daily (which I have really enjoyed contributing to!), I thought some of you might enjoy this, too.

Just like the jokes, these might help take your mind away from the pain, even if only for a moment..... so I hope you all enjoy, and watch for my Daily Trivia Facts!

( That is, Daily-when-I-don't-forget...... lol )

Note: Sometimes there will be more than one fact in one day (but kept in the same thread), simply because some are "related" to others.

Here is the Daily Trivia Fact for Dec. 13th, just under an hour late ( it's 12/14/05 here now... 12:45 am..... lol ):

"If Jell-O is hooked up to an EEG, it registers movements virtually identical to the brain waves of a healthy adult."

Which reminds me of a question I have always had tucked away in my mind..... "How hard would it be to try and nail Jell-O to a wall?......... hhhhhmmmmmmmm........"

:p

Hugs!
    Starr
  2. JimB

JimB New Member

You mean that a unhealthy person has a brain
    Worse than jello?

Well, no wonder ...
    That answers a lot of questions for me.
    Thanks.
    Jim lol
  3. smiffy79

smiffy79 New Member

well how dos jelly head.
  4. EgyptStarr

EgyptStarr New Member

5. smiffy79

smiffy79 New Member

isnt gelatine from crushed cows bones???
    its something to do with beef isnt it?
  6. EgyptStarr

EgyptStarr New Member

who'da thunk it???....

Hugs!
    Starr
  7. spmary

spmary New Member

thanks! Keep'em coming!
  8. EgyptStarr

EgyptStarr New Member

I'm glad y'all enjoyed it! I have another one up on the board now, too. Check it out!

"OT ~ Starr's Daily Trivia Fact! 12/14/05"

Hugs!
    Starr
  9. JimB

JimB New Member

was made from horse hoofs. but ...

WHERE DOES JELLO COME FROM?

The Chicago Tribune of March 5th, 1997 finally answers the question thus:

Gelatin seems benign enough. And in fact it is. It's nothing but molecules of protein that have been heated and then, as they cool, trap tiny particles of water. But where does that protein come from? The rumors are always spoken of in hushed terms: that Jell-O is made of horse hooves... or worse.
    Actually the truth is worse. Or at least it sounds worse. The source of the protein in Jell-O is "hide trimmings," animal tissue that is rendered, purified, filtered, and then purified again, leaving a protein called collagen.

Of course, then they have to go and ruin their exposition with gratitous veggie-bashing:
    The gelatin that is the building block of Jell-O is so purified that the FDA doesn't regard it as a meat product. Likewise, all but the strictest vegetarians find Jell-O acceptable.
    Gee, thanks. What does the FDA know, anyway?
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    URBAN LEGENDS:
    >>Claim: JELL-O is made from bones and hides.

Origins: Sometimes
    the most innocuous of foodstuffs contain constituents whose origins are less than appetizing. Such is the case with JELL-O, a dessert that has graced millions of dinner tables since its 1897 debut.

Underneath JELL-O's jiggly wholesomeness lurks a secret many consumers are disconcerted to learn: JELL-O is made from gelatin, an animal product rendered from the hides and bones of animals.

The production of gelatin starts with the boiling of bones, skins, and hides of cows and pigs, a process that releases the protein-rich collagen from animal tissues. The collagen is boiled and filtered numerous times, dried, and ground to a powder. Because the collagen is processed extensively, the final product is not categorized as a meat or animal product by the federal government. Very strict vegetarians avoid gelatin entirely, but more permissive vegetarians have no problem including JELL-O in their diets.

JELL-O products account for about 80 percent of the gelatin market.

Popular belief has it that gelatin comes from horses' and cows' hooves. Kraft, the maker of JELL-O, asserts that hooves do not contain the necessary collagen and therefore are not used in the production of their JELL-O brand gelatin product.

[This Message was Edited on 12/17/2005]
  10. Dee50

Dee50 New Member

I'm not eating Jello anymore.lol YUCK
    Dee50