OT: Dark Chocolate vs. Cocoa?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by LittleBluestem, Nov 10, 2005.

1. LittleBluestem

LittleBluestem New Member

Since I have read that dark chocolate contains healthful phytochemicals, I eat semi-sweet chocolate chips regularly. Does anyone know if cocoa contains the same phytochemicals? It would be wonderful if home-made fudge could go on the 'healthful foods' list.
  2. ellie5320

ellie5320 New Member

sry I cannot help I do not like chocolate one of the few I guess
  3. zoose

zoose New Member

It is the cacoa that actually has the phytochemicals in it. If you use a good cocoa such as Ghiradelli it will probably have the same stuff. Milk chocolate doesn't have as much good stuff since the cacoa is cut with so many other ingrediants. Look for the cacoa content on the package, coco 70% etc. The higher the percentage the more of the good stuff in it but be warned the 90% is very strong/bitter and will need more sugar than the 70% stuff. I generally use 70% in my cooking since I prefer dark chocolate myself and don't have to adjust the sugar content. I usually use Valrona (sp?) for baking desserts. I don't like fudge so I can't help you with that particular recipie.

happy baking,
    zooe
  4. morningsonshine

morningsonshine New Member

I've down some reading about this, and one chocolate that came out on top was the dark dove chocolate. I eat it all the time. Also high in the good stuff is plain old hershey's coco powder. I use that to make old fashioned hot chocolate with it and i use it in vanilla icecream.
    Dark chocolate is more than double that of milk in antiox., and coco powder contains the most. Make sure any coco powder you use is not "Dutch processed". That's a chemical process that changes the coco.

Yes put the fudge on the health food list, and send me some!!! Now if you could figure out away to make it with stevia, and still taste good!!!
    See Ya,

My girl is healing up fine, not limping anymore, just needs the outer layer of skin to heal now. Yesterday when i washed up her leg and put salve on, she didn't even give me a bit of trouble this time. YEah.
  5. zoose

zoose New Member

I just looked at my Ghiradeli cocoa and it didn't list the percentage on it. I also looked up the fudge recipie I got from MarthStewart.com and it uses both semisweet chips and cocoa in it. Never tried it myself since I don't like fudge. It tends to be too sweet for me. I think that is why I downloaded the recipie I can tinker with the amount of sugar in it. I just haven't felt like cooking much lately.....

zoose
  6. LittleBluestem

I knew that dark chocolate was more healthful than milk chocolate, but was wondering where cocoa fit in. I'm glad to hear that it is at the head of the list! I just use the fudge recipe on the back of the Hershey's cocoa can.

I doubt that very much of the sugar in fudge could be replaced with stevia. It is the checical reaction of the sugar with the butter and milk when they are heated that produces the fudge.

Stevia should work instead of sugar in hot chocoate, which is another one of my favorites. I like to make flavored hot chocolate by adding cinnamon, peppermint candy, red hots candy, or honey and vanilla. Of course, when you add candy, you don't need much sugar and I don't think stevia and vanilla would taste the same as honey and vanilla.
  7. Braingonebad

Braingonebad New Member

Good answers from zoose...

And artificial sweeteners work fine for hot cocoa - I do that all the time. I want to get a bag of Splenda for things like that. I like it in diet Coke, and bet it would be great in other things too. I'd even try it in baking. Just mix it with the butter (or whatever) and see if it melt like sugar.

All it needs to do is become liquid for most baking - except yeast needs sugar for food, and other levening agents might, too, to make the baked goods rise right. Fudge doesn't rise, so there's no problem there.
  8. morningsonshine

morningsonshine New Member

I would love to have a hot chocolate party with you sometime, peppermint and chocolate sounds yummy!!!

9. Frecker777

Frecker777 New Member

Ellie,
    I hate chocolate as well! I mean, I cannot even smell it without getting grossed out—been that way since I was a kid. People always think I am exaggerating and would like M&Ms or something, but no, I cannot even eat foods with cocoa butter as like the 15th ingredient! My family always thought I should be studied to find out how this is possible!
    Cheers,
    Carrie
  10. LittleBluestem

While fudge does not rise, it does set up after you beat it. I am wondering if the sugar is involved in that process and if the artificial sweetener would do the same. I'll probably just stick to hot chocolate - it is simplier and quicker.