OT Dead Cat Walking

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by elliespad, Jun 5, 2006.

1. elliespad

elliespad Member

This is a last ditch appeal for help in solving feline potty habits. We have a cat, a little burmese, Shushi, that my daughter "rescued" 1 1/2 years ago. She is sweet, affectionate, little kitty, BUT,,,,she is inconsistent with using the litter box. We have tried EVERYTHING, deep litter box, shallow litter box, clays, cedar, clumping, non-clumping, hooded, non-hooded. Currently using Cat Attract, $20 for 40 lbs. Is bit better, but not the guaranteed results they boast.

She will pee in the box consistently UNLESS you leave a bag or an article of clothing on the floor, then she MAY go on it. So, we have not had a pee-pee accident in about 2 months. (She peed on my new slippers) She poops in the box maybe 50% of the time. She has a few favorite spots she goes poop on, places were a litter box would NOT be appropriate.

Her litter box is in a 4' x 4' entryway with a baby gate across the opening. This is to keep the dogs from snacking in the litter box. She can scoot underneath the 6" opening.

She has some joint problems, and some probelm with vomiting, but these have improved probably 75% since we've had her. She also shouldn't be an outside cat as her joint problems would likely prevent her from escaping predators. I doubt she could climb a tree. She has bad issues with scratching furniture, wallpaper, in spite of offering several scratching post options.

She has been spayed, prior to our rescue. Is about 10 years old (hard to know, can see 2 prior owners in her records). She has been vet checked. No treatment recommended by the vet except euthanasia (due to her other issues).

I truely believe that when you adopt a pet, it is forever. But Sushi has put this philosophy to the test. We are about at our limit. She is not adoptable in that her habits are nothing any normal person would put up with.

If anyone has overcome these bathroom issues, please, I am open to suggestions. She has pushed us all to our limits.
  2. TxSongBird

TxSongBird New Member

Before you consider putting her down, talk with your vet about Kitty Prozac. It sounds like the cat has emotional issues and the medicine might fix it. Please think about this option first.

TxSongBird
  3. justlooking

justlooking New Member

Oh please don't give up on her and if you do, please don't consider putting her down as the only option.

First, maybe the cat finds it difficult to get to the litter. You said she must crawl under a gate. With her joint problems maybe it is uncomfortable. Try to move her litter to either another spot or take the gate down and teach your dogs not to eat the litter or scoop up the poop immediately after she does it so the dogs have nothing to snack on.

Next spray the inappropriate areas she is using as a toilet with the "animal be gone" spray. You can get it at most pet stores. It isn't toxic just uses a smell animals don't like. It will keep them out of places you don't want them to go.

Next if the choice is outdoors or euthenasia, I'm sure she'd rather take her chances outdoors. She may have some health issues but unless there are vicious animals patrolling your yard she probably will be ok (I'm saying that as a person who doesn't believe in outdoor cats but considering the alternative....) Cats can find many areas to escape to and if she is old and somewhat limited in her agility, she probably won't leave your yard at all.

Hopefully others will give you some additional options and you are able to keep Sushi. Hang in there.

Sincerely
    JL
  4. elliespad

elliespad Member

Well I LIKE the idea about Kitty Prozac. I have L-Tryptophan and she is going to get some today! BRILLIANT!

I also like the idea of a deterrent, like "animal be gone".

And, she has plenty of room to get under gate, she goes under easily, for pee and to lounge in the sun. And, she got out once and was gone for 2 days. I drove all over, and a neighbor found her 3 streets away. AND we have lots of wild animals that would definately do her in. We have a woodchuck who lives under the shed, a family of skunks, a fox, and a mean possum. She really is not too bright, but she sure taught our dogs R-E-S-P-E-C-T for cats.

Keep the ideas coming, cause Shushi is definately on borrowed time.
  5. TxSongBird

TxSongBird New Member

Some people med's can actually kill animals because they are different in make up and dosage. Call your vet and find out what strength the kitty would need and if people prozac is the same thing as kitty prozac. Also if you can't deal with the kitty issue, please find a rescue group since your kitty is Burmese, that will take her and keep her.

TxSongBird
  6. mme_curie68

mme_curie68 New Member

I use Bach's Rescue Remedy for my kitty. He gets anxious and pulls his fur out.

You can order it from drsfosterandsmith.com, or you can get it at your local health food store if you have one in your area.

4 drops in the mouth/day - no more fur pulling.

There is also a homeopathic formula called CalmPlex that I used on my crochety old lady kitty before she passed. I had to special order it from my vet.

People often struggle with toileting issues with cats. Do consider that something else may be wrong with her - and her only way of telling you is to eliminate outside of her box.

The problem can be compounded if you don't do a thorough cleaning with an enzymatic cleaner that will totally get rid of the odors, kitty will go right back to those spots.

It is also possible that she may have some loss of bowel and bladder control that relates to her age.

I had a very old cat that had dementia in her last year - she would go somewhere and then forget where she was and yowl her head off (she was deaf and couldn't hear herself unless she was REALLY loud) until somebody came to rescue her.

Diabetes, thyroid disease, kidney disease, arthritis are all diseases that can strike older cats. But with rescues, the problem is that you never know all their history.

When cats are on their own on the "mean streets" (or prior mean owners) prior to rescue they may have been previously injured, something like a tail-pull injury if hard enough, or swinging a cat by it's tail can permanently damage bladder and bowel nerves.

Hope this helps.
    Hugs,
    Madame Curie