OT dentist appointment

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Redwillow, Oct 30, 2006.

1. Redwillow

Redwillow New Member

I woke up this morning feeling miserable and achy. I guess my crash falling off the exercise ball on Sat. night (see message I posted Sat. night, lol) and helping my husband outside yesterday caught up with me!

I had a dentist appointment at 11:00 so I dragged myself there. Of course having a filling replaced hasn't made me feel any better.

I started with this new dentist about a year ago. I had some 6 cavities and a 3 old ones to be replaced. Also a lot of cleaning to be done at first. I have been neglecting going to a dentist for a while because I was having so many migraines!

Now of course I am paying for my neglect. The first appointment was so long between xrays, check up and a long cleaning session I was in the chair for almost 2 hours. I was in so much pain that I had a 2 day migraine afterwards.

I phoned the dentist office and explained that I had fibromyalgia (it is written on my chart in the medical information!) and that I didn't want any more long appointments. The receptionist said she would let the doctor know my situation.

Well at my second appointment before I realized what he was up to the dentist had froze my mouth and drilled out 4 cavities! I was sick for days after that I could barely close my jaws or eat for 2 days!

Again I explained only short appointments! PLEASE! The dental assistant said well you should have said something. I said well if you read my chart it is written there after that last 2 appointments!

Well back in the chair today. I have 2 fillings left to replace. I am trying to get all the old mercury fillings replaced! He froze the one side of my mouth and I just caught him before he froze the other side!

I said STOP ! I only want one done! The dentist said well nobody told me! Gee whiz! I guess I need it tatooed on my forehead.

When I went to the desk to pay the receptionist looked puzzled. She said I guess we need to book you another appointment???? I said yes, it is already booked next month! I explained when I booked them that I can only take very small appointments!

I am always afraid to make a scene but I really have to watch or they push me to overdo! Now I am going to go lie down as I feel terrible!

hugs everyone Redwillow
  2. NyroFan

NyroFan New Member

Redwillow:

I had a similar problem. I went in as an 'emergency' problem and the dentist removed the tooth and decided to remove another crown so he could reinforce what I had.

Well---$3000 later I had a fit when I left an office when the bridge on my opposide side fell out.

I called the office and gave then heck for what happened.

And redwillow: i told then I would need a shorter appointment and would need sedation (just plenty of novacaine). That they did.

However they did not give a rat's butt about my condition.

I was in such a miserable mood about this. Finally I thought: I would go back if he would put on the crown that feel out at no charge since I just left the offic when it fell out.

I am so sorry you had this experience.

It is possible that dentists aren't up to speed on these kinds of problems.

Sorry you went through it. You are not alone.

nyrofan
  3. Redwillow

Redwillow New Member

Thank you for your kind responses. Loved I think you are right I may need to change dentists.

He seems to do good work but there is definitely a communication problem.

I also think I need to work on sticking up for myself. I am not very good at it. I dread making any kind of scene!

hugs Redwillow

4. tandy

tandy New Member

You brought up a BAD sbject for me!!! LOL
    Oh,..how I hate to get dental work done!

My jaw kills me after. They take way too long!
    I can't keep my mouth open that long without kinda having a panic attack~
    I too have alot more work to be done and I dread it.
    I think I have an appointment next week.??
    thanks for the reminder :)
    even the night before,... I get nervous and have a hard time sleeping.
    Hang in there and best of luck~
    Hugs
    Tandy
  5. 69mach1

69mach1 New Member

i am sure they must be using them already. ask if you can take some advil before you leave their office. if it is ok w/your health.

and if you only want one filling at a time then that is your progative. but if it is in the same quadrant that is why they maybe why they are doing more than one at a time.

do you have cracks in the filling or decay? i hope you are not replacing just to see if it will cure all your problems.

i have seen time and time again. patients that would come in wanting to replace them, think it would get rid of thier ms or lupus. and our dentist wouldn't do it unless medically required. and then we would replace w/composite when needed.

i have seen a woman get all of her teeth pulled out to get rid of her ms. back in the state of new york. she came to us here in california for a second opinion because she was still having problems w/her plates. etc.

i know we like to take some durastic measures at times. but i try to research for myself and then make a decision.

and don't feel like you are making a scene. they are only worried about production is all. but you need to do what is best for you.

i have a great dentist out here in marin county california. she has her psychology major as well. she was super.

jodie
    [This Message was Edited on 10/31/2006]
  6. Redwillow

Redwillow New Member

Sorry Tandy I am giving you bad thoughts about dentists. I never used to be nervous about going to the dentis but then until this year I never had much work to be done.

I find it difficult to hold my mouth open very long. I have problems with my jaws, probably TMJ. My migraines always start in the muscles of my jaw and the back of my neck. And I also am not sure that the dentist understands that this is really painful for me.

The pressure on my neck, even with the little gel pillow behind my head is very uncomfortable. So is being tipped backwards like that, because it puts more pressure on my neck and I find it harder to breathe since I have costo in my ribs.

I only had 3 metal fillings to be replaced. (I had these done when I was 16 and I am now 47). This it the first dental work I have had to have done since I was 16.

69mach1 I appreciate you answering my questions since I see that you are dental assistant! I guess I am frustrated since this was my 5th appointment. I keep requesting over and over for short appointments and they say they with write it in my file but I have to remind them each time. I feel that the dentist should read my file otherwise what is the point of writing down medical information there.

hugs Redwillow