OT Detached Retina/Glaucoma Anyone?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by HeartsinOhio, Mar 3, 2007.

1. HeartsinOhio

HeartsinOhio New Member

I know this is off the topic of our Fibro, you are so great in replying when I have questions about Fibro. I have some questions on Detached Retina and Glaucoma. I am wondering if anyone has had experience with these unfortunate events. I had a recent scare, I have been having tons of "floaters" and Lightning Bolt type lights flashing in my eyes. I had them for two days and went to the eye surgeons office and he could not find a tear, yet, said I have large floaters. Could be a sign of a retinal tear or could cause one. They seem to go hand in hand. Also said I may have Glaucoma as the eye pressure in that same eye is very high. No treatment now. Just keep an "eye" on it and watch for changes for the worse. Would love to know if anyone had had a detached retina, what their early symptoms were, and how long the symptoms last, or did they go away without a problem. I am 52 and feel I am a little young for this. Wonder if the inflammation from my RA and the pain of Fibro could play a roll. Thanks again. Pattie
    [This Message was Edited on 03/03/2007]
  2. sleepyinlalaland

sleepyinlalaland New Member

Sorry you haven't received responses yet on this.

Partly because I too have concerns about possible retinal detachment. Floaters have been very common to me since childhood, but late last summer, I seemed to have something new develop overnight. The bottom right corner of my vision became blurry. Although the "blob" moved a bit (kind of like contact lenses slipping up and down), it was certainly unlike any other floater I've had.

I got into an eye doc that day due to my concern. It was a low-cost clinic, so I may not have had the most attentive and knowledgeable of care. The opthomologist assured me it was a large floater, and that it should settle down within a few weeks. It's still there and most annoying. Now, I will have to pay out of pocket for what I hope will be a better exam. If they DO find problems, at least I will be reimbursed by Medicare.

I'd also be interested in whether these symptoms could be related to retinal tear. (my appointment isn't unti end of March).
  3. Shalala

Shalala New Member

I have a tear in my retina that the Eye Doc keeps a close eye on (pardon the pun). My Mother had glaucoma in both eyes so I do worry about that being inherited. The tear in my retina showed up when I was in my 40s and going through what I now think was CFS. I also have a lot of "floaters" and get a blurred milky type spot in left eye quite often. I am 53. I get light spot things too (hard to describe) ... like a tiny "bright light" spot.

Glad you are ok.