OT DIETS What is the best one to take weight off?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by fibrobutterfly, Aug 2, 2006.

1. I know eliminate sugar, exercise. But can you lose weight and not exercise? I am so tired of being overweight and have no energy, of course this dd doesn't help either. any suggestions?
  2. pepper

pepper New Member

the GI Diet? GI stands for Glycemic Index.

I have been on it since March 1 and am finally losing weight. It is a basically old-fashioned healthy food diet and it works. I am never hungry and get to eat 6 times a day!

Good luck with finding something that works for you.
    Pepper
  3. suzetal

suzetal New Member

When my doctor told me to eat 5 small meals a day.It increases your metabolism.

Ive lost 18 lbs in 3 month .I am happy with that.I know I wont loose all that I gained cause I have meds that help put the weight on.

If I can loose maybe 10 more ill be very happy and if I can keep it off.

Try the 5 small meals a day.

Hope I helped some.

Hugs>>>>>....Sue
  4. StephieBee

StephieBee New Member

to lapband surgery. I have had absolutely no complications, and it has been the best thing I have done for myself.

Weight loss surgery is not for everyone though. You have to reasearch the many forms of welght loss surgery to see if you would be interested in any of them at all.

I have not been able to exercise (im sure my surgeon would not want to hear that!) but I have managed to lose 50 lbs. since March. And I was considered a :lightweight" Which means you have less than 100 lbs to lose.

The lapband is totally reversable and is nothing like the other precedures...althought they all carry risks. Some more than others.

Just a thought.

Take Care,
    stephanie
  5. KateMac329

KateMac329 New Member

Hello!

You always hear that diet and exercise go hand and hand. For the best results of course you would need to exercise as well as for your just all around health. You want to be sure your body isn't getting atrophied.

However, all that being said you can lose weight with only diet but it is only recommended for those who absolutely one hundred percent with out a doubt cannot get out and do any type of exercise.

Is even taking a stroll around your block out of the question?

By asking that question I am not questioning your illness at all. I have my days where I hurt so bad I wonder how I am going to make it through the day so I am not doubting you but if you have even just an ounce of strength to get out there and walk I would suggest it.

What about doing some stretching? Even just doing that would be good for you. Or what about taking two cans of vegetables and using them as weights. Sooner or later they will get heavy! LOL

As far as the actual diet goes you really can lose weight with just food. I used to work for a diet center and had many cliets who refused to exercise and although it took them twice if not three times as long to get the weight off they eventually did.

My suggestion is eat as many as six times a day. These meals can be regular meals and then smalls snack but eat regularly. PLAN! Planning your daily meals and snacks is a HUGE factor in weight loss. Even for myself!!!!

If I don't have a plan each day then you can guarantee that I am going to go for something that isn't good for me when my stomach starts to growl and I don't have time to think about what I can fix for myself.

A suggestion I would like to make is take some time and sit down at a desk or the kitchen table with a note pad and pen. Be honest with yourself completely and make a list of foods you like and dislike. Foods you can live without and foods you think you would die without.

Then take all of those foods and divide them into a healthy and unhealthy category. I am confident you know which foods go where so I won't give you examples. :)

Then make a decision. YOU decide what foods you are willing to lose the weight for. Make the decision, do you like the twinkies better or the thought of your thighs NOT rubbing together?

I am only using the above example because that is how I talk to myself and how I motivated my clients and it worked! It is YOUR decision to make!!!!

Make your own vision and write it down. Is it a certain pair of pants that you want to get back into or an event you want to look especially beautiful for? Write this stuff down! Each day take a moment to think about what your goal is and why you are losing the weight and this will help keep you on track.

I hope I didn't step on your toes with all this but I just am trying to help! I am down to my last 15 pounds out of the fifty +++ I gained with my pregnancy and I am more determined than ever. My goal was to have the weight off before my sons first birthday and he turns six months next Sunday so I think I am doing pretty darn good!

(((HUGS)))

kate

GOOD LUCK!!!

6. roadkill

roadkill New Member

I find that if I don't eat after 8pm I lose weight and I don't have to exercise either.
  7. julieisfree05

julieisfree05 New Member

Many of us don't know it, but a large percentage of people with FM/CFS have "Insulin Resistance". Basically, we aren't diabetics, but we are boderline.

I've lost more weight than I care to admit <g> by following a simple low carb/high protien style of eating.

I keep my carb intake under 75-80mg per day (and always eat protien with the carbs) and I try to stay away from sugar and processed foods.

I'm NOT fanatical about it, but I find that when I eat this way I not only keep my weight at a healthy point, but I also FEEL better!

There's a great book called "Blood Sugar Blues" by Miryam Erlich Williamson that explains how IR is related to many chronic illnesses. I'd highly recommend it!

Hope this helps,

- julie (is free!)

The good book says
    it's better to give
    than to receive
    I do my best
    to do my part.. - Rush
  8. phoebe1

phoebe1 New Member

I have come across this diet recently and it is based on sound medical research and looks very promising!
    Fibrobutterfly, please pleeeez do yourself a favour and go to this website forwellbeing.com, they guarantee results!

The diet is based on your unique body chemistry and they work it out according to your blood profile, I think this can be very beneficial health wise, besides losing all the unwanted weight! My husband is currently on this diet and I'm thinking about doing it myself as well, but you should really read all about it on their website (they are not trying to sell anything).

Good luck!
    Phoebe
  9. Daisys

Daisys Member

Here's what's working for me:
    Healthy carbs (lots of veggies and some fruit everyday--apples and berries mostly)
    Protein every time I eat--I eat grassfed beef only and try for free range chicken and eggs.
    Only healthy fat, mainly olive oil, coconut oil and grapeseed oil.
    I also eat several times a day.

What I'm avoiding:
    Sugars--I'm using xylitol and stevia for sweeteners.
    Starchy carbs (very limited--like 1/4 c. a day)
    Gluten grains--going low carb helped me to see that a lot of my joint pain is from eating grains.
    Transfats, of course.

I also have the book 'Blood Sugar Blues' and realized that the author also wrote a book years ago about Fibromyalgia. I contacted her about that and she told me she also feels much better by changing her diet.

Going low carb, and off grains has alleviated a lot of my symptoms but not done away with FM. Some things that I no longer have to manage:
    Joint pain
    GERD
    Headaches
    Low Blood Sugar symptoms

I still have the sleep disorder and viral symptoms (the CFIDS part of my illness, I guess)and I'm not losing weight very quickly, but that's ok with me. It's staying off with this lifestyle.
  10. louiesgirl2

louiesgirl2 New Member

I had gastric bypass in 1999 and originally went from 306 to 156. As of this morning I was 199. I am on Weight Watchers. I like it because I can eat anything I want as long as I count it towards my points for the day.

They also have the core system, which is for people who do not want any processed food in their system.

You choose which program you want. I started at 218 with WW and have gone to 199 since February. Slow but sure. I do not exercise much, just walking, when I am up to it. I am sure I would lose more if I could move more.

11. sascha

sascha Member

because i want to keep with it indefinitely. i often can't exercise, (by often i mean maybe twice a week i can ride my bike a little, or do floor stretching exercises). i can't walk because of hip pain.

my food plan is the low carb, high protein, good fats plan. i use coconut oil, because i have found that it helps control candida yeast condition, plus i like it, plus a recent blood test indicates my cholesterol has gone down a bit (after one monthon it). i also take cod liver oil/ground flax seed for the omega 3 fatty acids. plus probiotics.

i get best meats i can find (grass fed, organic) as much as i can. plus organic produce. a breakfast i love is a big bowl of fresh fruit with chopped raw pecans on top.

i am losing weight, and i want to, but my prime objective is to improve my health. when i eat clean and carefully, i definitely feel better- my cfids symptoms are greatly lessened, and some completely disappear. good luck! sascha *i hope you keep posting with what you do and your progress
  12. julieisfree05

julieisfree05 New Member

I dropped 180 pounds of future ex-husband and haven't felt this good in YEARS!

Of course, I've added back 170 pounds of NEW sweet, sexy, drop-dead gorgeous "male weight", but that's a weight gain I can live with..;)

- julie (is free!)

Why did God put love in hearts
    if we're not supposed to try..? - Radney Foster
  13. 69mach1

69mach1 New Member

it doesn't sound like any regrets...

jodie

14. charlenef

charlenef New Member

i have lost 70lb and has kept it off for 13 yrs. ive been bed bound for 2 1/2 years i still keep it off by eat all day long small amounts i dont eat passed 5:00. a great trick is buy a small bowl and i mean small and only eat out of that. it keeps you from over eatting and if you want second you dont have to worry about it . i also drink 10 glasses of water a day. hope this helps. charlene
  15. Daisys

Daisys Member

I forgot to mention that I drink lots of water and I don't eat anything past 6pm.

Enjoyed the visual of losing the dead weight with divorce--altho I'm keeping my original 200 lb. 'man weight' because he uses it in a kind and loving way.