OT/Disability Question---possibly inheriting a house...

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by pam_d, Dec 25, 2005.

  1. pam_d

    pam_d New Member

    This question is for our many board members who are pretty fluent in disability issues from their own experiences. I have never gone through this process and am not knowledgeable about this, I'm hoping some of you will share your information!

    My sister-in-law has severe, disabling depression, and received disability benefits years ago, including medicaid. Her Dad died recently, leaving a small house that's paid for---it needs a lot of work, but otherwise would be an asset to her in that it would free her from paying rent. But she's very worried that her medicaid would be cut off, and she has several depression meds that she needs, ongoing therapy, etc.---she's worried that by owning a house, all that would be taken away and may cost her MORE in the long-run.

    Is it possible to put the house in someone else's name, such as her grown daughter's name? Is there any way (legally, of course) around this? As those here on disability know, the payments aren't huge anyway, so not having to pay rent would really help out---but not if owning this small house would end up costing her more in the long-run.

    Any imput would be appreciated!!

    Thanks so much, & happy holidays!

  2. NyroFan

    NyroFan New Member

    ggdigg's experience has been my own. I can't even get Medicaid because my SSD check is too high. It would be so much better fiscally for me if it were otherwise, but....they have their rules. I've found they manage each case differently, so a caseworker for her might be the best thing. You might have to challenge the worker, but there is always another one to take her (or his place). I went through that for food stamps.
  3. 69mach1

    69mach1 New Member

    they exempt your home and a car and allowed 2-3k in liguid assets, depending if you are married or not....

    it is said but true the medi-caid or medi-cal is for low income people...well here in cali it doesn't take much too be considered low income meaining you could be making about 50k a year and are still figuring out how to make basic needs met and save for retirement...

    i would have answered earlier it is my b-day today so been laying on the couch and had son and x-hubby do the breakfast and dinner....

    you sister should be ok, i think it was your sister....


  4. pam_d

    pam_d New Member

    ...and Jodie, Happy Birthday!!

    I'm not sure at all if she has SSI or SSDI, these are things I will have to ask her. I imagine the best thing to do would be to contact a lawyer who specializes in these things. Might be worth the cost to insure that she gets to keep her benefits.

    I think she's most worried about losing the Medicaid...

    Thanks again, and if anyone else who's been through this wants to chime in, please do!

  5. 69mach1

    69mach1 New Member

    go to ssa.gov and save your money when comes to the attorneymoney....and you can read your states rules on the medi-caid or medi-cal...then you just need to be smarter than the state....but i know sometimes you still need to watch assets when it comes to ownership death and transfer of ownership..just so the states do not get anything...we all need to protect our assets whatever they maybe....

    good luck and thank you for the acknowledgement of my birthday...

    good luck....


  6. lea

    lea Member

    differ from state to state.
    You may be able to find info. on the web (don't know).

  7. poodlemommy

    poodlemommy New Member

    I live in Canada and not sure if the rules differ. I own a house and still collect a disability income. I could also get drug coverage with a house but I cant because I have RRSP's. If you have over $7000 in RRSP's then you cant get drug coverage. So thats how it works here. Owning a house is totally ok. Good luck
  8. jhmitch

    jhmitch New Member

    Hi Pam!

    Calling SS for more information is a good idea but(after dealing with my late father's SS benefits), I'd advise your sister-in-law to contact the local SS office.

    This suggestion is based solely on my own experience, but I've found the information from the Social Security Office's 800 number to be confused (at best) and the information provided by the local offices to be much more reliable.

  9. lea

    lea Member

    You can get SSI benefits, but you pass on, some states will take back what is owed from what they paid you over the years.

    If you are talking only about SSI, you may be able to get info. ffrom your local welfare office.

    Off course, not so with SSDI.