OT - Does anyone have a gluten free chocolate cake recipe?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by phoebe1, Jan 25, 2006.

1. phoebe1

phoebe1 New Member

My husband has been away on a 2 week business trip and is coming back tomorrow. He loves chocolate cake and I would like to spoil him a little, the problem is that I also love chocolate cake but can not tolerate wheat or gluten and I would really appreciate it if anyone has a recipe for me!

Hugs
    Phoebe
  2. KateMac329

KateMac329 New Member

Hello,
    I looked up Gluten Free Chocolate Cake recipe in Google and they had several different kinds of recipes. I just posted this one but if you don't like it you won't hurt my feeling!

Good luck!

kate

Gluten-Free Diet: GF Recipes: Chocolate Cake

Ingredients

7 oz semisweet chocolate
    1 stick butter or margarine
    2/3 c sugar, divided
    6 eggs, separated
    3/4 c (4 oz) blanched almonds, finely chopped

Directions

In the top of a double broiler, melt the chocolate over hot water. In a medium-sized bowl, cream the butter or margarine with 1/3 cup of sugar. Add the egg yolks and beat at high speed until very light. Add the melted chocolate and almonds. Mix well.

In a separate bowl, beat the egg whites stiff with remaining 1/3 cup of sugar. With a rubber spatula, fold the stiffly beaten egg whites into the chocolate batter.

Reserve 1/2 cup of the batter. Pour the remaining batter into an nongreased 8-inch spring-form pan. Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Bake for 30 minutes. Cake is done when a toothpick inserted into the center, comes out clean. When cool, run a knife around the edge and remove the frame. Pour the reserved uncooked batter over the top of the cake and chill. Garnish with chocolate shavings. Serves 6 to 8.

3. mbofov

mbofov Active Member

Also look up flourless chocolate cake on google. It sounds very similar to the gluten-free recipe posted above. They are verrrry good, very rich.

Mary
  4. phoebe1

phoebe1 New Member

Thanks for that recipe Kate, it looks really yummy, can anyone tell me how much a stick of butter is? And 7oz, is that a cup or less?
    Mary, I will definitely look up more recipes under google, thanks for the tip!

Phoebe
  5. jaltair

jaltair New Member

Gluten Free Chocolate Framboise Cake

Flourless Chocolate Cake

1 stick unsalted butter
    4 oz, bittersweet chocolate, chopped
    7 tablespoons sugar
    4 egg yolks
    2 egg whites
    Preheat oven to 325°F.

Prepare a 6-inch springform or false-bottom pan by buttering pan bottom and sides, lining bottom with waxed paper, and buttering again.

Melt chocolate and butter together over a double boiler (For a makeshift double boiler, bring 2 inches of water to boil in a saucepan, reduce to a simmer, and place butter and chocolate in a mixing bowl over the simmering water. Do not allow bottom of bowl to touch the water). Stir occasionally, until the chocolate is melted. Remove from heat.

Whisk egg yolks and 4 tablespoons of sugar together on high speed for 3–4 minutes, until thick and light yellow in color.

In a clean, grease free bowl, whisk the egg whites and remaining 3 tablespoons of sugar on high speed until peaks stay stiff when whisk is lifted from the bowl (approximately 2 minutes).

Fold the melted chocolate mixture into the yolks; fold in the whites. Spread into your prepared pan and bake for 35 to 40 minutes, or until a knife inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean.

Cool the cake completely before running a hot knife between the pan and cake sides, to release it. When the cake is completely cool, slice it in half carefully with a serrated knife (the cake is quite fragile, but if the layers try to fall apart; simply press them back together; like good lovers, they're forgiving). At this point, the layers may be individually wrapped in plastic wrap and stored in the freezer until needed.

Makes 2 - 6" layers (may be prepared days ahead, and kept frozen)

Chocolate Raspberry Mousse

2/3 cup raspberry purée (prepare ahead of time)
    10 oz. bittersweet chocolate, chopped
    3/4 cup cream
    3 egg whites
    2 tablespoons sugar
    pinch cream of tartar

To prepare the purée, thaw one (12 oz) package of frozen raspberries. Process thawed berries in a food processor or blender, and drain through a fine mesh strainer into a bowl. Discard the seedy pulp; you should have more than enough purée for the recipe. (Heat the extra with a little sugar for a delicious ice cream topping, or add to yogurt.)

Whisk the cream on high speed until beaters start to leave traces; slowly pour in the puree. Continue whisking until the cream makes soft peaks.

In a clean, grease free bowl, whisk the egg whites with a pinch of cream of tartar, to the soft peak stage. Gradually add the 2 tablespoons sugar. Continue whisking until the whites form stiff peaks.

Melt the chocolate over a double boiler. Remove from heat and allow to cool slightly. Then, while the chocolate is still a little warm, fold it into the cream mixture. Fold in the whites.

Makes 2 1/2 cups. (prepare mousse just before cake assembly)

Assembling The Framboise
    Place one layer of cake in your 6" springform pan. Spread half of the mousse on top. Even out with a spatula. Place second layer of cake, flat side up, on top of the mousse. Press gently. Top with remaining mousse. Refrigerate for a couple of hours, or until set. To serve, run a hot knife around the cake to help release it from the pan. Remove springform side and bottom carefully and move the cake to a serving plate.

A beautiful topping is a simple layer of one-fourth cup seedless raspberry jam, heated with 1 TB Chambord liqueur, and spread carefully on the cake. Garnish with chocolate hearts or fresh raspberries.
  6. nanna4550

nanna4550 New Member

Can't you substitute spelt flour or rice flour. My friend
    eats spelt bread and makes spelt noodles. Her nickerdoodle cookies were fabulous with spelt flour.
    Why not cake, too??
  7. Sbilek

Sbilek New Member

Yes, I was just going to suggest that spelt or rice flour can be substituted for your favorite recipe.

I also like to substitute applesauce for some of the oil called for in a cake recipe. Tends to make the cake more moist and it's less fat, too.

Sbilek
  8. zerped

zerped New Member

I've gotta put in a plug for an Oregon product. The company is "Craving Places." You should be able to find them online. They're in Bend, OR. I just made a batch of their brownies from their mix, and they're great. They are wheat-free, gluten-free, dairy-free and egg-free. They also have a mix for pnacakes/waffles, cinnamon crumb cake, and cho. chip cookies. All are tasty and take NO EFFORT TO PREPARE! :eek:)
  9. kbak

kbak Member

Phoebe,
    You can get gluten free baking mixes at the health food store, if you have one where you live. I'm doing gluten free also, and I think it really makes a difference. A really good site for info on what is safe and what isn't for non gluten people is,

http://www.csaceliacs.org/gluten_grains.php
  10. fifthofanickel

fifthofanickel New Member

6yrs. & ordered my stuff from a gluten free store in Milwaukee, WI. They have great cake mixes, bagels, bread, sauces, everything is gluten free there..I think you could google it & the addy should be there..

I loved their lemon shortbread cookies...Cereals were good too...

Best of luck;
    Fifth