OT - Emergency Cure for your pet if he/she ever gets poisoned!!!!

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by JLH, Aug 6, 2005.

1. JLH

JLH New Member

I loaned my mother 10 of my Lasix water pills last week because she had ordered hers from her mail-in pharmacy and they had not arrived yet. She put them in a little round pill box.

When she left my house, she put them down in a bag that I had put her some leftovers in, some snack cakes, mini candy bars, and some fruit.

When she got home, she said she dumped the sack out on her kitchen table so she could put the refrigerated stuff in her refrigerator then and worry about the other stuff later.

Well ..... her dog, a Yorkie mix, who weighs about 10-11 lbs. reached up on her table with his paw and knocked off the pills.

You can guess the rest, while my mother was in her living room, her dog ate 5 of the pills!!!!!

Well, he ended up one really sick little pup... and for days. He almost died.

When she told my oldest daughter what had happened, she told her what she should have done.

Her Sheltie dog once got into a neighbor's antifreeze and my daughter called her Vet immediately and he told her to hold the dog, open its mouth, and pour a bottle of PEROXIDE down its throat.

This will make the animal automatically vomit up all of its stomach contents and will save its life.

My daughter did this, and then immediately took her dog on to the vet. The vet said had she not done this, her dog would have died before she got her to the vet (because of the antifreeze).

My mother didn't know this, of course.

But now, my mother asked her vet if she should have done this trick, and she was told YES!

Just thought I would pass this along in case anybody's animals get into their meds or any other poison substance.

jlh/Janet

with
  2. BLUEROSE7

BLUEROSE7 New Member

I would be in a Panic for sure, if this happened to either one of my babys.

Good info to know!!

Thanks
    Bluerose
  3. Francey54

Francey54 New Member

This is very helpful. I have 2 small dogs a maltese who is a sweetie and a pomeraniam/papillon mix. This second one is a pistol. She makes me laugh but is very mischeivous, curious and gets into everything. I worry sometimes when a pill falls to the floor and I can't find it that she will eat it. So knowing that peroxide is recommended is of great value.

Thank you for sharing.

Francey54
  4. Shirl

Shirl New Member

That is the one item I have by the case full here, its peroxide! Thank you so much for this informaton. I know of hundreds of uses for peroxide, but did not know this one.

I always clean my dogs ears with peroxide, it works wonderful to clean out dirt, bacteria, and wax, its also good if the dog has a rash, and will kill fleas too.

I have five dogs, and two are under two years old, they are big, White Boxer and American Bulldog, but they are still pups and will get into things sometimes.

Thanks again................

Shalom, Shirl

5. smiffy79

smiffy79 New Member

antifreeze to dogs is extremly yummy but is lethal to dogs very quickly so extreme action was needed hence the peroxide.

but water tablets even slug pellets you dont need to go to these measures.

if poisoning is suspected contact your vet-you will be put straight through to your surgeon who will then call the vetinary poisons information service(they only take calls from vets not the public)and then approopriate action will be taken when you arrive with the packaging if you have it.

vomiting,the runs,fits,collapse and coma are alll signs of poison a better way to induce vomiting is to make a salt water solution--1 teaspoon of salt to a cup of tepid water and give to your dog w/a syringe and be ready w/a bucket as the vomit may be helpful for tests if the poison is unidentified.

the peroxide will cause burns to your dogs air wai throat and stomach and then again on the back up!

rat poison will cause bleeding gums and bruising to skin and i have seen a dog fit and die through excessive amounts of warfrin!

asprins,tranquilisers and so on will cause appetite loss,staggering and if left coma.

slug pellets and snail bait will cause tremours,drooling fits and then coma.

lead paint will cause sickness,runs,paralysis tummy cramps.

bleach and household cleaning fluid wil cause inflammed skin,sickness,runs ulcers on tongue/throat and then fits.

if your dog licks a toad (after poison secretion) his mouth will swell and go red and then the back of the throat.

do not use peroxide unless under the direct instruction of your vet!
  6. smiffy79

smiffy79 New Member

i am going to keep bumping this until all of the above have seen it as this is so very important
  7. smiffy79

smiffy79 New Member

bumping now as will not be back till tomorrow.
  8. smiffy79

smiffy79 New Member

had a chance to get back (+:3
  9. ilovecats94

ilovecats94 New Member

We stopped using pesticides in the yard because our cat, Biscuit, would eat the crickets and it got her really ill at one time. She would vomit on her own, the crickets, but we still had to take her to the vet.

Now we use the yellow sticky traps and put them under the steps in the garage and it catches loads of crickets and we don't have the problem anymore. We also use the ant and roach motels and don't spray at all.

I have to be careful when filling my pill box that I don't drop any pills on the floor.

I realize that dogs are able to get into more things than a cat would. They are all just like children and you have to be so careful what you leave out.

Hugs,
    Faye
  10. JLH

JLH New Member

Thank you sooooooo much for the additional info, and especially for the info about the peroxide!!!!

Two heads are better than one!!!!! Especially when the second head is more knowledgeable than the first one!! LOL

You see, when the vet told my daughter about pouring the peroxide down her dog's throat, we took it that this would be a good emergency measure to remember if the dogs got into anything again. But I guess NOT!!

Thank you ever so much for giving us the additional info .. and how NOT to use peroxide unless the dog does ingest something like antifreeze.

I hope everyone who read this comes back to see your comments.

Janet
  11. Sbilek

Sbilek New Member

Here's the number for the Animal Poison Control Center,
    888 426-4435.

Actually, it's best to take the extra minute and call them, especially if you know what your animal ingested, as some substances it's worse to give your pet something that will cause the animal to vomit. Forcing the pet to vomit, as the material comes back up, could cause more harm.

Sometimes it's best to give other substances and dilute the poison or things to make it go on through easier with less damage to the organs.

So best to keep the number on hand, by the phone, in case you need them, and, of course, always best to do a little homework ahead of time and keep poisonous things tightly locked up, or better yet, don't keep them around at all or use them.

Sbilek
  12. moxiepup

moxiepup New Member

13. smiffy79

smiffy79 New Member

when i mentioned only the vet can contact them dont forget i am in the uk.
  14. sofy

sofy New Member

Most of us who have pets love them like they were our kids so knowing what to do in such an emergency is great. I hope I will never need to know this but it will be priceless info if I ever should need it.

Im going to tell everyone I know
  15. Greenbean7

Greenbean7 New Member

My trainer, breeder, and vet have all told me to keep peroxide on hand at home and when travelling.

They recommend anytime you know what the dog got into you should use the peroxide. If you don't know, call your vet. Some chemicals will react with the peroxide so you should also read the label of what they got into if possible.

In our area the nearest emergency vet is over an hour away. In our case, the peroxide is the way to go. It may be the only way to save my babies life!

My dogs are both big, one lab, one golden retriever, the vet said to keep pouring the poroxide in until they start to throw up. By-the-way, I recommend you do this outside! Unless you have a small dog and can get them in the bathtub.

We have done this several times with dogs in our family and never had a problem with irritation in the mouth or throat. It is highly recommended that you take your dog to the vet once they stop throwing up. They should be checked out and might need an iv for dehydration.

Most pet owners know that chocolate and cocoa are poisons for dogs, but did you know that raisins and grapes are, too? One or two probably won't hurt them, but if they get too many you better head for the peroxide!

Hugss,
    Greenbean
  16. JLH

JLH New Member

Do you know what to do for a CAT if they got into something that they should not have?
  17. smiffy79

smiffy79 New Member

yes i did know that raisons and grapes are dangerous to dogs its something to do w/theit digestive systems and the fact they cant 'process' them.

jlh,no honey i am sorry i am not to good w/cats even though we do get them in did you know i have even had a rabbit to look after and we are a dalmatian rescue lol we do say we will help any dog but.... then again my boss has an entire flock of homeless doves living w/her right now as their home was demolished.

why are you concerned for your cat?
  18. Greenbean7

Greenbean7 New Member

Oh, yeah, I forgot to tell you that the Poison Control Center gets quite upset when they find out the two year old who ate the paint thinner is a two year old golden retriever! Seems they only take care of human children.

We don't have one for pets so my sister just didn't bother to tell them that her 60 lb 3 year old lab was a lab! She just told them what she had eaten and got info about what to do.

I don't recommend this because dogs digestive systems are obviously different then ours because chocolate makes them sick and yet makes me feel so good! I just thought I'd share because I thought it was so funny at the time!

Hugzz
    Greenbean