OT FANNIE FLAGG'S Latest Book

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by rockgor, Aug 28, 2006.

1. rockgor

rockgor Well-Known Member

Book Club Members and anyone who enjoyed "Standing in the Rainbow" will want to read Fannie's new book.

"Can't Wait to get to Heaven," a sequel to the Rainbow book, same setting and many of the same characters.

Bonus tracks: Recipes
  2. kholmes

kholmes New Member

How long is CAN'T WAIT TO GET TO HEAVEN?

Ken
  3. Pennygirl2

Pennygirl2 New Member

Hi Rockgor, I just bought I Can't Wait to Get to Heaven in Large Print and didn't know it was a sequel. It looked good. Should I go ahead and read. Really can't afford the other right now. Just wondering, Penny
  4. rockgor

It will be fine. It's just that you won't already know some of the characters.

I read books the same way you do. Put one down and switch to another. Always have 3 or 4 going at the same time.

Ken, do you mean how many pages in the book or how long will you have to wait?

The answers are 355 pages and Heaven only Knows.

I'm going to see if Fanny has a website and if I can write to her.

I got an email today from Homer Hickam, author of the best-seller Rocket Boys which was made into a movie. Title got changed to October Sky.

You can find the book under either title. It is set in a coal mining village at the time of Sputnick and deals w/ kids who set out to build a rocket.

The author eventually became a real-life rocket scientist and worked for NASA. Book does a great job of recreating village life in the late 50s.
    [This Message was Edited on 08/28/2006]
  5. Cromwell

Cromwell New Member

The book must be out as I think I saw it at our library last night.

A book you may enjoy if you liked Rocket Boys(great story)is "A Boy's Life" which is set in Concrete WA. The writer is a prof of English at Syracuse University. They made it into a movie too starring River Phoenix I think and Robert de Nero, good movie also.

I am currently reading "A Painted House" which is by John Grisham (though not a legal thriller) and set in the early 50's in the South. It is away from his usual genre and it is pretty good reading so far(all about cotton farmers).
    The best thing about this book it was $5.45 at Target!!!

Love Anne
  6. rockgor

Enjoyed both books you mentioned. Also Liked the Christmas story John Grisham wrote.

In fact I prefer the non legal thrillers of Grisham.

Have been rereading the Mapp and Lucia books by E.F. Benson. They are always fun.
  7. Cromwell

Cromwell New Member

Me too! Though the thrillers make good movies.

I loved the Mapp and Lucia books and the PBS series that was so well done.

I have just been listening to AS Byatt's "The Fredericka Quartet" (still am in fact via BBC 7) I really like her books as well, but the library tends not to have the first two which makes it pointless redaing the others. She is Margaret Drabble's sister, and for any historical buffs she wrote "Possessions", an excellent novel.

I also recalled the name for you or MRDad can't recall which one of you, of the celtic book, "The Druids" MOrgan Llewyllen, there are several now.

I was still waiting for you to tell me whether you know what the Brit words from 50's and 60's mean:

drainpipes, brothel creepers, teddy boy, bouffant,( can't remember the rest(LOL).)

Just had a very English "tea" of egg, chips(fries) and beans with bread and butter. Now we all have indigestion.

Love Anne

[This Message was Edited on 08/29/2006]
  8. rockgor

Seems to me in British books people eat beans on toast when the author wants to indicate same are low on funds.

Didn't I answer your question? Maybe I thought it was rhetorical. Maybe I just forgot it which is far more likely.

I think a teddy boy is a thug. No idea about the others.

I will have to investigate the other books you mentioned. Not familar w/ them.

Thanks for the suggestions. Hope your horse is ok. Oh wait, maybe that was somebody else. I think I will place a want ad: Lost my mind. Reward to finder.