OT - Favorite Movies

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by PVLady, Feb 21, 2006.

1. PVLady

PVLady New Member

Can everyone post their favorite movies - and why?

I like the movie "The Doctor" with William Hurt.. He starts out a very arrogant, uncaring doctor, and winds up completely changing after his own illness. It really protrays how some doctors treat us.

Another movie - "Shattered Glass" about the reporter Stephen Glass who wrote for The New Republic and lied about all his stories. Movie was well done...

Trains, Planes and Automobiles - John Candy
    I never laughed so hard in my life - especially when John Candy and Steve Martin were on the freeway going the wrong way.
    Another driver was honking trying to tell them they were going the wrong way, John Candy acts like the other people must be drinking and says "how do they know where we are going?"

or Steve Martin splashing the dirty "sock" water in his face.
  2. CooBax

CooBax New Member

My favorite movie until recently was always Good Will Hunting....loved it!!! My husband said it was boring...shame on him.

But now I have to say my favorite movie is Brokeback Mountain...my husband did not see it...big surprise. All I can say is it was an incredicle love story. I dont think it is possible to see the movie and not see the love between these two human beings.

At any rate that is my two cents worth.

Lesley
  3. alaska3355

alaska3355 New Member

but especially silly love stories. I liked "Sleepless in Seattle" and still watch it occasionally.

I also enjoy "While You Were Sleeping"- both of these have a silly story line but a happy ending.

Does anyone remember "What's Up Doc?" from the 70's? I laugh at that one whenever I see it. I must like movies for their escapism! I think it is based on "Bringing Up Baby" with Cary Grant and Katharine Hepburn, another favorite of mine.

Old movies are great...I love "Gone With the Wind" and Dr. Zhivago. Let's see what everybody else likes!

Fun post!
  4. Kinsie

Kinsie New Member

I'm not much of a movie watcher, but I do have a couple of favorites.

1. The Apostle with William DuVall
    2. Slingblade with Billy Bob Thornton

I just saw the Pink Panther at the movie theater. I thought it was pretty funny!

Kinsie
  5. Frustratedandtired

Frustratedandtired New Member

Shawshank Redemption. I saw Brokeback Mountain too but it was just too sad for me. Pirates of the Carribean. Ferris Buellers Day Off. Jaws.
    Oops I forgot to say why. Basically all of these movies have a little bit of everything. Well except for Brokeback Mountain which, like I said, was just too sad. As for the others, Pirates and Ferris made me laugh and The Shawshank Redemption and Jaws were just great entertainment all around.
    [This Message was Edited on 02/22/2006]
  6. JuliannaG

JuliannaG New Member

1. Dances with wolves (any western that deals with the Red Indian people is interesting to me. I also love reading about their history. I read Bury My Heart at Wounded Knee years and years ago.)

2. Shawshank Redemption (such a clever twist to the story)

3. The Matrix trilogy. (I never "got" the first movie until I saw it the second time. And of course, Keanu Reeves is just such great eye candy :) )

4. The Tom Hanks movie about him being marooned on an island alone... gosh, what was it called? Brain fog really ruling today. I felt he should have got the Oscar, and not the movie Gladiator which I felt was so-so.
  7. Crispangel66

Crispangel66 New Member

There are some many I like in fact my brother call me a movie freak.

1. all Harry Potter Movies ( I know it sounds childish)

2. all three Lord of The Rings movies (Like the adventure)

3. Bambi 1& 2 ( I like to share watching them with my son)

4. Elizabethtown (made me cry but it was about real life)

I don't watch as many romances as i would like to b/c of my husband.

This is a good topic it is neat to see what other people like. Thanks Pamela
    [This Message was Edited on 02/23/2006]
  8. chickabee

chickabee New Member

Have lots of favorites..Fried Green Tomatoes,...Nell,...Phenomenon,..Michael,...Dirty Dancing,..Breakfast Club,..All the Star Wars Movies... Misery,...the shining. and many more. nanc
  9. foggyfroggy

foggyfroggy Guest

I love one called Second Hand Lions. It's incredible!
    Any good animated kid movie - at least they arent sad or violent. I like the Incredibles, Ice age, Nemo, all those type of things. I have kids, can you tell?
    Miss Congeniality is a great comedy
    The Return to Bountiful is an older one that I loved.
    Chocolat
    Pirates of the Carribean
    etc.etc.etc. LOL!
  10. Jeanne-in-Canada

Jeanne-in-Canada New Member

I get so sick of the Hollywood formula.

My old favourites were
    - Interview With a Vampire - for the hottie factor and the gripping storyline. Am also an Anne Rice fan, the author of the book.
    - A Few Good Men because it made me cry, every time - (seemed to be a Tom Cruise theme back then, heh)

Now

- Good Will Hunting, phenomenal script and acting by Matt Damon and Robin Williams (another favourite)

- Crash - for the bold and brave provacative script and stellar cast and my favourite male actor now is
    Hotel Rwawanda - A story that had to be told, and it's a bout time, favourite actor in there again

- Monster's Ball - all around outstanding and love anything w/ Billy Bob Thorton (someone mentioned Slingblade, another great movie of his, his baby from start to finish too)

- Closer - very provocative thriller, great actors and script

- Before the Rain - A foreign film rated 5 stars (if you see it you'll see why) about the strife in the Middle east between Jews and Muslims w/ a romantic, but dangerous storyline thrown in. This was worth the subtitles in 4 languages, though much of it was in english too.
  11. nonnie1967

nonnie1967 New Member

While You Were Sleeping - great romantic comedy, wonderfully happy ending (and I love Sandra Bullock and Bill Pullman!)

Steel Magnolias - very funny and touching

Kate & Leopold - great romance!

Apollo 13 - great drama, inspiring, happy ending

Fiddler on the Roof - great music, provocative themes

All of the Star Trek/Star Trek:The Next Generation movies - I am just a huge Trek fan! :)

12. jbennett2

jbennett2 New Member

I can't believe nobody has mentioned this one! I also like Forrest Gump, Sleepless in Seattle, many others that I don't remember just now. I don't go to theaters any more because of the volume and uncomfortable seats. I did force myself to go see "The Passion of the Christ" last year - very, very powerful. My kids gave me the DVD for Christmas.
  13. pepper

pepper New Member

are two of my favourite movies. I love sad movies, go figure. I also love "Chicago". I have watched it at least 30 times and know the dialogue off by heart. I love the music and the dancing as well as the story.

I too love Mary Poppins (it was the first movie I saw with my now-hubby back when we were teens). And Finding Nemo!

Pirates of the Caribbean - so funny.

And I agree with you, Juliann, Tom Hanks should have won for Castaway. Loved that movie too.

Pepper
  14. KateMac329

KateMac329 New Member

My favorite movies...

They actually range in quite a variety but here they are and in complete random order. :)

The Italian Job. I LOVE movies where there are car chases! LOL Physical comedy or well as my husband puts it anyone getting hurt just cracks me up so when there is a great car chase I LOVE it!!! LOL

The Notebook, Gone With the Wind, When Harry Met Sally and Titanic. All are wonderful love stories!!!!

Pretty in Pink and St. Elmos Fire. I am in love with the 80's!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Okay that is all I can think of for now but believe there are many more! I am a total movie gal!

This is a great post!

(((((((((((((((HUGS))))))))))))))

kate

Edited to add: OMG! I totally didn't read any other responses before posting my movies and WOW there are a lot of Gone With The Wind fans out there!!! Right on!!!!!!

[This Message was Edited on 02/24/2006]