OT: FDA WARNING bagged spinach

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Cromwell, Sep 15, 2006.

1. Cromwell

Cromwell New Member

Ecoli again kids. Watch out for that bagged stuff. Now the spinach has it.

Love Anne
  2. monicaz49

monicaz49 New Member

i just read that too. and of course, just threw in some bagged spinach into my eggs this morn for breakfast. Sheesh.....
  3. barbinindiana

barbinindiana New Member

Thanks for the warning Anne. I heard about it on tv last night, but I'm sure there are some who didn't.

It scarry the stuff that's going on with our food these days. What's next? I heard awhile back that the dirtiest stuff in the grocery stores is bagged salad mixes.

Barb
  4. Marta608

Marta608 Member

Toss the spinach but save the container. There will be rebates from some growers.

Marta
  5. ilovecats94

ilovecats94 New Member

because they use manure to fertilize it and they are not supposed to use that on a vegetable that is eaten raw.

It is coming from California... the spinach. Makes me wonder if any of the bagged lettuce mixes are okay anymore.

Hugs,
    Faye
    [This Message was Edited on 09/15/2006]
  6. charlenef

charlenef New Member

this morning. charlene
  7. dononagin

dononagin New Member

Our Chef sent out a notice this morning that we are selling no spinach or spinach products in our restaurant till further notice.. better safe than sorry! (We are in Calif)
    hugs!
  8. woofmom

woofmom New Member

Well, itn't it sweet of them to warn us about one of the most healthful foods around. Yet, they allow msg, aspartame, splenda, and a host of other toxic chemicals to be added to our foods. They're probably gonna' recommend that some chemical be used on it.
  9. lilaclover30

lilaclover30 New Member

where it is showing up - Indiana. We went grocery shopping today (i was so sick i could hardly do it) and my favorite thing to order is spinach salad. No, I didn't order it.

We have a friend who rode with her truck driver hubby. She got terribly sick while on the road and was taken to an ER, then to hospital.k Two months later she woke up from a coma and both legs were gone, all from e-coli!!!!!! So take warning!!!!!!!!

Joan
  10. Lendy5

Lendy5 New Member

Hubby told me about the warning this morning. It has been pulled from stores in our state - North Carolina as well.

Looks like it has affected eight states so far. They are still trying to pinpoint the source of contamination.

One theory is that spinach root systems absorbed the bacteria through contaminated groundwater.

Recently we have had "Boil Water Advisories" in different areas of our state. Wonder if this is related?

cromwell - Thanks for posting this.

11. dononagin

dononagin New Member

There was a piece in the news paper that the outbreak of e-coli has been traced to a farm in the area of San Luis Obisbo which is a farming community near the coast in Central Cali. My Chef has also stopped serving baby romaine as it also comes from this area. Ya'll be careful with that healthy food for a while!
    hugs to all.. dona
  12. razorqueen

razorqueen Member

here in Canada. They've warned us not to buy any bagged spinnach thats from the US.