OT - Foods TOXIC to dogs/cats

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by victoria, Oct 12, 2005.

  1. victoria

    victoria New Member

    While I did know about chocolate being bad, the rest come as a surprise! thought it would be good to pass on...

    macadamia nuts

    Onion and garlic

    Chocolate

    Pear pips, the kernels of plums, peaches and apricots, apple core pips (contain cyanogenic glycosides resulting in cyanide posioning)

    Potato peelings and green looking potatoes

    Rhubarb leaves

    Mouldy/spoiled foods

    Alcohol

    Yeast dough

    Coffee grounds, beans & tea (caffeine)

    Hops (used in home brewing)

    Tomato leaves & stems (green parts)

    Broccoli (in large amounts)

    Raisins and grapes

    Cigarettes, tobacco, cigars
    (regardless of the infamous painting of "Dogs Playing Poker, LOL)

    ---

    I have been guilty of feeding my dogs a few grapes, they liked them, altho I never saw them get ill so maybe they'd have had to eat a lot?

    One of my dogs as a puppy would drink/eat anything she saw me taking, once stuck her nose in a class of vodka/water and started lapping it up! Happily I caught her right away... now she doesn't like the smell, but will still eat almost anything.

    :)
    Victoria


    [This Message was Edited on 10/12/2005]
  2. victoria

    victoria New Member

    I once had a dog that loved to chew on my Dad's socks... would go under the bed with them. By the time I could crawl under to her, she would swallow them down whole!

    Lucky for her they always eventually came out the other end without any medical assistance, must've cleaned her colon out!

    Sigh,
    Victoria
  3. victoria

    victoria New Member

    over the years our dogs have gotten into most everything, altho I don't think they 'wanted' to eat garlic or onions, but with no ill effects...

    only had one ever that died for mysterious reasons, and UGA vet school couldn't even figure out why even tho we had an autopsy done.

    esp spoiled/rotten food... they have found deer legs left by hunters, etc, and brought them home to chew on with no ill effects (actually told that's why they have good teeth cuz bones are raw not cooked)...

    BUT we used to think that about goats until we had some, then found out that we had wild cherry in fields and other stuff that was poisonous to them, they were dropping dead. Altho I really think it's cuz we made the mistake of buying them at an auction barn where any illness can be caught by other goats.

    So I'm confused, but, when it comes to my babies, I'd rather be safe than sorry...!

    Victoria