OT For Fans Of Quantum Physics...

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Mikie, Jun 19, 2006.

1. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

And I know you're out there because y'all have posted about it here, I just saw an excellent show on the Science Channel. It was called, "Parallel Universes," but it was really about M Theory which goes beyond string theory. It may be the unifying theory for which Einstein was searching.

Like some of you, I find quantum physics fits beautifully into my concept of God. While scientists use it to discover our Universe, I study it to learn how God puts things together.

I have always suspected that Heaven isn't a place so much as a dimention which may overlay our own physical dimention. M in M Theory stands for membranes, incredibly tiny shapes which may be everywhere. They vibrate to their own frequency and sometimes collide with one another. Humans also have a range of frequencies in which we navigate. It is possible that other worlds are all around us but we cannot access them because of their frequency energy. I find this very exciting. Perhaps when death comes, our energy leaves our bodies and changes frequency.

I used to think I was the only closet nerd who loved quantum physics until I once mentioned it here. Then, I discovered that there are others who share my fascination with physics and our Universe. Gary Zukav, who also wrote "The Seat Of The Soul" and has been on Oprah, wrote a book for nonscientists on quantum physics called, "The Dancing Wu Li Masters, An Overview of the New Physics." I've found other books on physics written for the nonscientific types like me. PBS, The Science Channel and The Discovery Channel have a lot of shows on this subject.

Each time I watch one, my understanding deepens and I come away with something new and a recharged awe of what God has created. Time is relative, Einstein showed us that, so the creation of the Universe as we know it from science does not contradict what is in the Bible.

The beauty of the New Physics is that one need not be a scientist, able to write long formulas. All one needs is the ability to suspend one's preset notions and let imagination take over. It is such a good workout for my brain, way beyond crossword puzzles and reading.

For anyone curious about such things, I highly recommend wading in and testing the waters. Don't feel intimidated because even the scientists are stumbling around trying to find the answers. Once in a while, they come up with something exciting and we can share in that excitment. For me, the M Theory reinforces what I have long suspected and that is a thrill.

Love, Mikie

[This Message was Edited on 06/19/2006]
  2. victoria

victoria New Member

have problems reading about it.... too long of sentences lolol. my DH reads a lot about it.

In sort of another direction, you might be interested in the book, Zen and the Brain: Toward an Understanding of Meditation and Consciousness by James H. Austin; my DH is currently reading it, I find the subject fascinating but again need things piecemeal, lolol.

;)
    Victoria

(review of book:
    Aldous Huxley called humankind's basic trend toward spiritual growth the "perennial philosophy." According to James Austin, the trend implies a "perennial psychophysiology"--for awakening, or enlightenment, occurs only because the human brain undergoes substantial changes. What are the peak experiences of enlightenment? How could they profoundly enhance, and yet simplify, the workings of the brain? Zen and the Brain summarizes the latest evidence.

The book uses Zen Buddhism as the opening wedge for an extraordinarily wide-ranging exploration of consciousness. In order to understand the brain mechanisms that produce Zen states, one needs some understanding of the anatomy, physiology, and chemistry of the brain.

Austin, a neuroscientist and Zen practitioner, interweaves his teachings of the brain with his teachings/personal narrative of Zen. The science, which contains the latest relevant developments in brain research, is both inclusive and rigorous; the Zen sections are clear and evocative.

Along the way, Austin covers such topics as similar states in other disciplines and religions, sleep and dreams, mental illness, consciousness-altering drugs, and the social consequences of advanced stages of enlightenment.)
  3. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

This sounds fascinating. I do believe we can access other realms through meditation. God and the Universe talk to us all the time but we are too busy to listen. Thanks for the hint on the book. I appreciate it.

I know what you mean about following the books. They can get a bit complicated. That's why I enjoy programs. This program I mentioned helped me to get more out of "What The Bleep Do We Know." I can't wait for "What The Bleep: Further Down The Rabbit Hole" to come out in DVD. It's having openings in cities all over the place but none near to me. Anyway, I want my own DVD because these shows, like reading books, are deep and require several readings.

Someone mentioned "The Edge Effect" as being a good book along these lines. Think I need to be book shopping so I can add to the four books I am currently reading :)

Love, Mikie
  4. victoria

victoria New Member

the book you mentioned written for non-physics majors, LOL, ("The Dancing Wu Li Masters, An Overview of the New Physics.") maybe I could get thru that!

And yes, seeing a visual program/documentary would be wonderful; these days it is much easier to digest. I used to be the opposite, needed it on the written page to understand it.

AND lastly, LOL, I don't really think we know any more about the universe than a cockroach knows about our civilization...

Victoria
  5. mariee

mariee Member

Hi Mikie,
    My husband and I are very interested in Quantum Physics..his understanding is far greater than mine.
    I have read Zukav's book the Seat of the Soul and one other, but got lost in the Dancing Wu Li Masters... and seen What the Bleep do We Know.
    Hubby has read some other books...so I will ask him when he gets home for the names.
    Thanks for the heads up on Discovery Show.
    BTW, I think Deepak Chopra has also written on QP
    Marie
  6. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

In fact, he is the one who got me interested in it. He is also a very spiritual man. That he ties physics, mental health, physical health, and spirit into his books is fascinating. His book, "The Seven Spiritual Laws of Success" is wonderful. It's small, concise, and leads one down the path to practical things one can do on a daily basis to make life easier, more spiritual, and more meaningful.

Victoria, what we know about the Universe is probably less than a cockroach knows, but like with many other things, I think the journey is what it's about. Asking the questions may be more important than the answers. Still, every now and then, we do get some answers which provide a small openeing into the mystery of our Universe. What is amazing to me is that the answers may be relative to what is being asked. The old Newtonian Laws of Physics work very well for everyday problems but when one starts to talk about the really small or the really large, these laws no longer apply. We will never know it all but how sad if we stopped asking.

BTW, Ladies, if you want to order the big set of DVD's for "What The Bleep: Further Down The Rabbit Hole," you can go to the BleepStore and preorder it. It will come out Aug. 1st and be mailed then. It is only $19.99 plus $4.50 S&H if you advance order now. I would imagine there will be a pent up demand for it, so I wanted to get on the list ASAP. The price will go to $26.99, so this is a good price. The set includes 15 hours of interviews and material not included in the new movie. I think I'll post this separately because we do have some Bleepers here.

Love, Mikie
  7. mariee

mariee Member

Hi Mikie,
    Just did a search on the program on Discovery channel. and can't find it.
    Can you help?
    the Discovery Channel repeats their programs, but it doesn't come up on their website.
    Thanks
    Marie
  8. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Maybe I made a mistake on the channel. Let me go look and I'll post again. Oh oh, sorry--It was the Science Channel. I am so sorry for this mistake. I'll change my post. I had TIVOed a bunch of stuff on the Discovery Channel and thought this was one of them.

Love, Mikie
  9. foggyfroggy

foggyfroggy Guest

Ooooooooo I just love that stuff! Unfortunately I can't read for more than a few minutes but it's so fascinating.
    There was another show on PBS about a math equation that is endless and when shown graphically looks like interlocking crystal paisleys. It describes many shapes in nature such as ferns and nautilus etc. I feel such joy when I find something that ties us and the universe(and beyond) together in these fantastic and amazing ways. It's so incredible that science and philosophy and spirituality are finding these common grounds!! Way cool.

Gretchen
  10. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

I used to work for an aviation firm which produces aeronautical charts. Runways are numbered for magnetic degrees. Each runway has two numbers, depending on which way one approaches. A north/south runway is 180/360 or just 18 and 36 in pilot lingo. Sometimes, the field shifts enough that runways have to be renumbered.

What is truly fascinating is that long before people knew about latitude/longitude or magnetic degrees, they were building fences which aligned with true north/south and east/west. No one knows how they figured out the alignment.

There seem to be people who affect, and are affected by, electromagnetic fields. Some cannot keep battery operated watches running. We have quite a few people here on the board who have had similar experiences. Some have a big effect on computers, TV's, radios, etc.

I can see energy fields around people and objects but I cannot see colored auras.

Fascinating stuff.

Love, Mikie
  11. kholmes

kholmes New Member

You're definitely not alone in your interest in this area.

I also find quantum theory fascinating. You might give Stephen Hawking's A BRIEFER HISTORY OF TIME a try--the newer version of A BRIEF HISTORY OF TIME.

Though not mystical like Chopra, Zukav, or WHAT THE BLEEP, Hawking is very good at making relativity, quantum theory, and string theory clear and understandable. His goal, like Einstein's was to find a "unified theory of everything"--maybe a bit presumptuous in this mysterious universe, but an admirable goal.

I have been reading a lot about near death experiences lately--Kenneth Ring, Raymond Moody, etc...and I have found that I'm reading these narratives with great credulity.

My other favorite in this area is Richard Feynman. Feynman worked on the Manhattan Project at Los Alamos during WWII, and in the 80s, he was the one who figured out why the Challenger space shuttle exploded. SURELY YOU'RE JOKING, MR. FEYNMAN is one of my favorite books, even though it deals less with his science and more with his memoirs.

Kholmes
  12. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

That book was made into a movie with Matthew Broderick and Patricia Arquette. Richard Feynman was an unusual person, to say the least.

I am a big fan of John Edward and miss his program. There is no doubt in my mind that my Mom has made contact with me and with a psychic who met my SIL at a party. What he told my SIL, he had no way of knowing. My SIL didn't even know about it until my daughter told me and I said, Oh, my God!

So much to marvel at and so much to learn. I think this stuff elevates us above our pain and misery with these illnesses and allows us to let our minds roam free. We may be trapped in sick bodies, but we can still use our imaginations. It gives me hope.

Love, Mikie
  13. Banka8

Banka8 New Member

This is the second time I have seen the show. But I think it was on the Science Channel.

The world is a amazing place. I do believe in other dimensions. I think that is what psychic energy is. Just tapping into other dimensions and getting a little vision here or there.

I love watching all the channels that offer a chance to learn.

Judy